Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 08:32 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Have you been in a school lately. They really don't fill all that time the kids are in school with productive things to do. Advisory period is a half hour of doing absolutely nothing! Teachers will find all sorts of silly ways to fill time in order to keep the students attention. Someone mentioned pep rallies earlier. I remember half the students skipping the pep rally in the gym and were made to sit in the cafeteria and do absolutely nothing. Its just silly that people will find any excuse to be offended and outraged. A lot of students don't get this kind of encouragement from their parents and I see nothing wrong with the President encouraging the kids to study hard and stay in school. Kids have bigger issues to worry about than their parents instilling fear in them about the big bad scary Obama that wants to hurt them. Teach your kids to fear child predators, not the President.

Your point? Another 60-90 min. of doing nothing wouldn't hurt the already bad school system ? Obama has other things to do. I just don't see why the President would talk to children.
He's too much of a "media President" in my opinion. Well, if some parents think it's gonna be bad for their kids.... then so it be. We liberals can respect other opinions

They could have done it BEFORE or AFTER school. Would be perfectly fine with me. That way everybody who chooses to watch it can do so and the parents who don't want their kids to watch it can still leave them in school.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:42 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Your point? Another 60-90 min. of doing nothing wouldn't hurt the already bad school system ? Obama has other things to do. I just don't see why the President would talk to children.
He's too much of a "media President" in my opinion. Well, if some parents think it's gonna be bad for their kids.... then so it be. We liberals can respect other opinions

They could have done it BEFORE or AFTER school. Would be perfectly fine with me. That way everybody who chooses to watch it can do so.
What's my point?

My point is this could do wonders for the children not being encouraged at home. It's great if your kids have all the support in the world but sadly that's not the case with all children.

Welcome to 2009. No matter who won the Presidency they were going to be a media President. That's just the way the world is now with 24 hour news, twitter, Facebook, and countless other ways of relaying information. I would be more afraid of a President we never saw and would rather not speak to us.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:53 PM

447 posts, read 1,766,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
What's my point?

My point is this could do wonders for the children not being encouraged at home. It's great if your kids have all the support in the world but sadly that's not the case with all children.

Welcome to 2009. No matter who won the Presidency they were going to be a media President. That's just the way the world is now with 24 hour news, twitter, Facebook, and countless other ways of relaying information. I would be more afraid of a President we never saw and would rather not speak to us.
Absolutely. If you don't want your kids to watch, well OK... but don't ruin it for all the other kids. There are kids who won't have the opportunity to see this before or after school.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:55 PM

For some of these kids it's probably best they cancel this webcast because it's probably doing more harm to the kids having to see their parents behave in such an embarrassing way.

For those of you who watch the Simpson's. This reminds me of the episode when they had the town hall meeting and Reverend Lovejoy's wife keep screeching "WILL SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo

Old 09-04-2009, 08:59 PM

Found the video:

YouTube - Children

Old 09-04-2009, 09:10 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanewidick View Post
Well, they have to have pride in something, and since Obama isn't garnering much respect, I do think it makes sense to have a pep rally instead of hearing the President speak.

Let him speak at home, and then let the parents decide whether or not they should watch it. I mean, you do spend time with your children at home right? Oh, I forgot, going shopping, watching Desperate Housewives, and work are more important tha spending time with our children, right?
I'm damned liberal. Everyone on city-data knows this. With that said, I would never have had an issue with my daughter watching Bush give a 15 minute speech with questions at the end. Would I have quickly sat my daughter down and explained to her why I disagree with his positions once she arrived home? Absolutely. I guess I thought conservatives would have done something similar after this speech. To me, it seems the reasonable thing to do. He's the president, after all.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:19 PM

125 posts, read 312,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanewidick View Post
Well, they have to have pride in something, and since Obama isn't garnering much respect, I do think it makes sense to have a pep rally instead of hearing the President speak.

Let him speak at home, and then let the parents decide whether or not they should watch it. I mean, you do spend time with your children at home right? Oh, I forgot, going shopping, watching Desperate Housewives, and work are more important tha spending time with our children, right?
That is incredibly judgmental. It is sad that we can no longer respect those we disagree with in this country. The America I was taught to believe in and love is strong enough to accept those who are different, respects democracy enough to respect the winners of elections and then support them in being successful - at least until the next election day if we don't like their policies. In church each Sunday we always prayed for the President, the Governor, and all elected leaders. And my family values side says if the President wants to talk to children and encourage them to stick with school and work hard - especially during a time of war and recession - then having the kids listen and be proud of their country is not a bad thing.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I'm damned liberal. Everyone on city-data knows this. With that said, I would never have had an issue with my daughter watching Bush give a 15 minute speech with questions at the end. Would I have quickly sat my daughter down and explained to her why I disagree with his positions once she arrived home? Absolutely. I guess I thought conservatives would have done something similar after this speech. To me, it seems the reasonable thing to do. He's the president, after all.
When I was in school I can't imagine my parents being upset if Bush or Clinton wanted to give a 15 minute speech to my class. What could they have possibly have said to children that would be so controversial?? If it turns out that Obama comes on the webcast and tells your children to do drugs, steal, and knock over the elderly I will come on here and apologize to all of you. But somehow I doubt he wants to brainwash your children into becoming menaces to society.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:24 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
More and more, I am starting to wonder if he is trying to **** off the Republicans. Chicago politicians are good at messing with people's minds.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post
That is incredibly judgmental. It is sad that we can no longer respect those we disagree with in this country. The America I was taught to believe in and love is strong enough to accept those who are different, respects democracy enough to respect the winners of elections and then support them in being successful - at least until the next election day if we don't like their policies. In church each Sunday we always prayed for the President, the Governor, and all elected leaders. And my family values side says if the President wants to talk to children and encourage them to stick with school and work hard - especially during a time of war and recession - then having the kids listen and be proud of their country is not a bad thing.
What you just said seems like such an easy concept to understand but so many are clouded by their political views and refuse to ever set that aside. They would rather Elmo or Dora the Explorer talk to their children about the importance of an education rather than have the President of the United States do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: