Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 03:52 PM

60 posts, read 131,531 times

Advertisements

Thanks Oildog...I'm getting super charged to come down in a month to network with some recruiters and check the area out. I was there last October but didn't really have much an opportunity to get out and about so look forward to this trip as we'll have the time.

rbchamps...good luck with your search as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 03:55 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,249,677 times
For 200 you may find something in Cottage Grove or Shady Acres

Old 09-08-2009, 04:41 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,796,562 times
Town houses are fine if you don't mind a more generic type place and are less tolerant of transitional neighborhoods. Rice Military is out, too expensive. There are some small ones around Yale right by the railroad, I do mean RIGHT by it that you might be able to get. The east end warehouse district might also have something. There are also some off of Clinton.

Personally I am not a big fan of the town houses inside the loop. Once things pick back up the builders will start back up in full force and yours will be the dated one competing with the shiny new product down the street.

As for houses $200k or less you might want to look a hair outside the loop as well as in. On houses most of the western half of the inner loop is out. About the only exception might be Brooke Smith roughly bordered by 45 north, north main and Cavalcade (20th St.). Also Sunset Heights that is sort of north/northwest of the Heights but inside the loop.

Just outside of the loop on the north/northwest side your options include some parts of Oak Forest and Shepherd Forest.

Just outside the loop southwest is possibly Post Oak Manor & Willowbrook, as well as some in Westbury or Parkwest.

Back inside the loop east you have Lindale Park in 77009 (there is also a Lindale Park in Galveston, so if you run it on HAR include the zip code to cull out the Galveston ones). That is a very good option for $200k & less.

East end, you have some choice but it depends on how much work you are willing to put into one. I would run 77023 with an eye out for Idylwood, Houston Country Club, Eastwood & Woodleigh especially & see what comes up. Of course I am going to throw Glenbrook in the mix, run that on HAR but just know north of Bellfort it the better section.

There are some deals over in 77004 too, some parts are nice & some parts are rough, just depends.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:31 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,781,939 times
I agree w mod, that the east end near the ball park and new soccer stadium has some good deals. Granted your not going to see huge appreciation, but it should be a decent place to live.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:02 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,796,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaitimthinking View Post
Hi,
I'd like to follow-up and ask a similar question on this thread if I may, very similar so I hope the OP doesn't mind. We are looking at areas such as Sugar Land and Katy, there are houses around the $200k (some even lower around the $170k), I am not in Houston so I cannot drive through the areas...are these safe and decent areas with good schools (have young children so schools are important)? Can you really get a nice, 2000+ sq ft home for that kind of money (we've been looking on HAR and Realtor.com)...or is there some catch? We are in the Pac NW and have been trying to move to Texas for a bit now, and find it hard to imagine the price for the home because something similar here would cost $400k plus...
Thank you

Yes, you can get a nice home, however remember the property taxes. About 3%. These high property taxes keep the home prices down. So there is no catch, just high taxes. So If you finance 200K, plan on your payment being about $1900 or so.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:02 PM

49 posts, read 152,503 times
On this same note, what are the best and safest neighborhoods to ive in. I have 2 children. I will likely rent at first and buy later after I get established in Texas. Im thinking Corpus Christi or Houston. whichever has the best COL and employment opps. I am a real estate agent (somewhat new) do home staging on the side and will have my BA by the time I get to Texas, any info or suggestions would be helpful. Im even willing to live in the outskirts of town as long as it is near the Ocean, as it is the main reason I am choosing to move to Texas. On that note what areas between Houston and Corpus Christi are the safest and most diverse? I am a divorced mother with two children. I am caucasion and they are bi-racial, Thank you

Old 09-11-2009, 05:14 PM

21 posts, read 58,776 times
JUSTWAIT, If you are looking around Sugarland and Katy, you have to check out Lakes of Bella Terra! I have a friend who bought a home there, and it is gorgeous. I spent a Saturday with her family out there, and it was like going to a private resort. Seriously. I wasn't sure how long it would take to get there since I've always lived on the north side of town, but I just hopped on the Beltway then the Westpark Tollway and got there in no time, with no traffic. I looked at their website to try to convince my husband that we needed to move there, and it looks like they have houses in a lot of price ranges. It's Lakes of Bella Terra - Everyday Living in a Houston Community. Let me know if you check it out and tell me what you think! [Mod cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 09-11-2009 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: Send the person a dm but don't advertise about your friend.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:15 PM

21 posts, read 58,776 times
Whoah. When I typed out the web address, it turned into a full on, descriptive link. That's weird!

Old 09-11-2009, 06:15 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,796,467 times
We used to call it Hell-A-Terra. Builders are running for the hills because they can't sell homes for a profit in there. Nice Walmart there as you enter the community with million dollar custom homes.

Hell-A-Terra has never lived up to the hype. It might some day, but for now, the builders have left, or can't wait to leave. It's a money losing hole.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:42 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,249,677 times
Lakes of Bella Terra cant give their homes away. It will be years before that community fisinhes out if it ever does.
And it is no where near the ocean!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston