Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 09:54 AM

13 posts, read 53,040 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on the future development of 1464? The prison has been bought, and I see nothing but construction of new houses and Aliana flags in the area. 1464/Beechnut in particular.

It looks like they are trying to commercialize/expand the area. How long do you think it will take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 11:50 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,837,799 times
There is no prison on FM 1464.
Are you talking about the one over by the Sugar Land airport?

Old 09-08-2009, 11:54 AM

I thought there was a prison on the other side of 99?

Old 09-08-2009, 12:04 PM

Oh, the one west of Grand Pkwy a few miles north of 90A?
It's not really that close to the area you're talking about. But, I haven't heard it's been bought. Where did you hear that? If I hear otherwise, I'll post.

As far as commercialization -- yes this is inevitable, as more homes are built. The Aliana development itself has plans for a town center type place with restaurants, offices, a hotel. And lots of retail eventually. HEB has already bought land for a large store outside the subdivision. It's just going to take a while for it to all happen, with the way the economy is...

Old 09-08-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Oh, the one west of Grand Pkwy a few miles north of 90A?
It's not really that close to the area you're talking about. But, I haven't heard it's been bought. Where did you hear that? If I hear otherwise, I'll post.

As far as commercialization -- yes this is inevitable, as more homes are built. The Aliana development itself has plans for a town center type place with restaurants, offices, a hotel. And lots of retail eventually. HEB has already bought land for a large store outside the subdivision. It's just going to take a while for it to all happen, with the way the economy is...
Interesting. Where do you find this information? I think the prison re-located. I remember a rep from Old Orchid telling me about the prison. I just drove a little further down and found Mission Sierra.

That's great news about the HEB as I was concerned about the distance to the nearest grocery store.

Many are saying Mission Bend is a deterring factor Mission Sierra's development/future value. I'm not sure as I think 1464 acts as a great divider. I'm not too sure about Mission Bend, but it does have a bad rep. I see nothing wrong with the area though driving up and down Beechnut

Old 09-08-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hccgamer View Post
Interesting. Where do you find this information?
News releases, web sites, talking to Sugar Land contacts who have knowledge of new land development and transactions in the area, etc...

Quote:
I think the prison re-located.
Relocated? Last time I drove up Grand Pkwy, I thought it was still there...

Quote:
Many are saying Mission Bend is a deterring factor Mission Sierra's development/future value. I'm not sure as I think 1464 acts as a great divider. I'm not too sure about Mission Bend, but it does have a bad rep. I see nothing wrong with the area though driving up and down Beechnut
IMO most negative about Mission Bend is exaggerated. It's a working/middle class, family area. It now has a civic association, so residents seem to be connected to the area and care, which often makes a world of difference. http://www.missionbendhouston.com/newsletter/new.pdf (broken link)
Yes, it's very diverse, and the homes are less expensive than many surrounding developments. But a "bad rep" might be a little over the top.

You want bad, go further east into parts of Alief, and along Bissonet near the Beltway...

Old 09-08-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
News releases, web sites, talking to Sugar Land contacts who have knowledge of new land development and transactions in the area, etc...

Relocated? Last time I drove up Grand Pkwy, I thought it was still there...

IMO most negative about Mission Bend is exaggerated. It's a working/middle class, family area. It now has a civic association, so residents seem to be connected to the area and care, which often makes a world of difference. http://www.missionbendhouston.com/newsletter/new.pdf (broken link)
Yes, it's very diverse, and the homes are less expensive than many surrounding developments. But a "bad rep" might be a little over the top.

You want bad, go further east into parts of Alief, and along Bissonet near the Beltway...
Thanks for the info. Could you provide a link/source to the new HEB development and plans by Aliana to be the next Town Center?

I would like to show my fiancee the potential of the area Mission Sierra is in (1464/Beechnut)

I would give you rep points, but I must spread rep points before giving to AK123 again. Thanks again

Old 09-08-2009, 02:28 PM

467 posts, read 1,185,561 times
Here's some links:

Huge HEB Grocery Store May Be In The Works At Aliana Development | FortBendNow.com (http://www.fortbendnow.com/2008/05/28/32071 - broken link)
NEIGHBORHOOD HOME PRICE TRENDS Master-planned community targets 3,000 homes Investors concerned, but confident project to weather storm 02/26/2009 | Archives | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Real Estate Transactions | Business | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
RECON

Old 09-08-2009, 02:39 PM

344 posts, read 1,186,970 times
There are, depending on how you count them, 5 - 7 prison units near 99 and 90. The newer ones on the west side of 99 are Jester I, III and IV, and the Jester III trusty camp. A little farther north from those, also on the west side of 99, is the Vance unit (formerly Jester II, and before that, it was Harlem III Camp*). Farther to the east (just next to the Sugar Land Airport) is the Central unit.

I'm almost certain that there are no plans to relocate any of the Jesters or Vance units anywhere. It's the Central Unit that the City of Sugar Land has been trying to get relocated. The legislature approved the city's request for "access easements" to state land on the Central unit and provided for a joint study between TDJC-CD and the city to look into relocation of the prison. I don't know what the status of the study is, but I don't think any decisions have been finalized on the future of the Central unit.

There are a few widely dispersed parts of Central that may or may not still be in use. Smithville is an employee housing area just to the east of the airport and facing onto highway 6. A trailer park (I'm guessing more employee housing) on 1464 at Owens (just north of where 1464 comes off 99 at 90 and south of the former Old Orchard GC). Also along Owens, behind the trailer park and backing up to 99, is another facility. I can't remember exactly what that is, it might be the Central trusty camp. Or it might have been part of the old Jester units.**

Central can hold more than 1,000 inmates and if TDCJ is going to replace that bed space it will probably be with a new unit. Central was built cheaply back in the day when TDC was self-sufficient, and given the cost of construction, I think they will want a very nice price for the land if they ever agree to sell. If it were to relocate, I would be betting that a likely spot would be on the west side of 99 by the Jester/Vance units.

One issue that I have not seen come up in any discussions of relocating Central unit is the fact that the state historical commission named the main building a historical landmark. TDC had a lot of offers for its land south of 90 for a couple of decades before they finally sold it. And I think there was a lot of discussion about preserving the Two Camp building and the graveyard before they finally worked out an agreement with the developer. Since the main building (called the New Building) is a historical landmark, there will probably be a strong desire to preserve the building in any future plans involving the land.

*For the historically inclined, the Harlem camps originated back to the days of segregation. Central farm was where white prisoners were kept and Harlem was where the black prisoners were held (and later in the red brick building in what is now Telfair - the so-called "Two Camp Building"). It is also the unofficial birthplace of the song "Midnight Special". I say unofficial because variations of the song had been around for years before it was given its final personalized touches by Leadbelly Ledbetter while he was incarcerated there. The midnight special was the Golden Gate Limited that left Houston at midnight and came through Sugar Land along the still existing rails just south of Central unit. Creedence Clearwater Revival's version has the words "And you can bet your bottom dollar, Oh Lord, you're penitentiary bound" Ledbetter's version had the words, "And you can bet your bottom dollar, Oh Lord, you're Sugar Land bound."

**and, Ila Fae Dent sprang her hubby Robert from one of the Jester units in the late 60's. They kidnapped a DPS trooper and led a massive slow-speed police chase (ala O.J. and A.C.) up toward the Bryan area. It was the true story behind the movie "Sugarland (sic) Express".

Last edited by DrLizardo; 09-08-2009 at 04:03 PM..

Old 08-15-2010, 04:28 PM

So there is a new retail strip under contruction on 1464/bissonet.

Has anyone heard anything new regarding Aliana's commercial lots along FM 1464 between West Airport and Beechnut?

There's a lot of commercial land for sale to retailers. I still see the farmers taking care of the land. I think it would be a gold mine if Target/Walmart and fast food restaurants like Chicfila or McDonalds opened up along there. There's already a Jack in the Box that stands alone just off of 1464 and Beechnut.

There is a lot of homes being built (aliana included) in the area. Plus, you've got the Westpark tollway feeding traffic to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston