Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 03:56 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
This looks like a developer's financial disaster just waiting to happen. Can't see this really taking off.

As for Houston - it is what it is. Every city is unique - you can choose to only see the good, only see the bad, see a combo or whatever you choose. The good and bad things about it are unique as other cities' good and bad points. If you live here, then it is always in a person's best interest to make the most of where they live and enjoy what is enjoyable but if they only find the bad, the ugly - then it makes their time spent very unhappy.

You know what is interesting - some of JFRE's photo walks about town show all aspects of Houston - the good, the bad and the ugly and his photo perspective makes some of the old and ugly look interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 04:21 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Dallas has more clumps of bars and clubs and that makes it easier to get from one to another. The clubs and bars are overall more spread out in Houston.

Honestly nobody goes to Deep Ellum any more it seems. Uptown, Knox-Henderson, Oak Lawn, Addison, and Lower Greenville all have more going on. It all depends on your flavor. Im not a huge fan of Uptown because its too showy. Its exactly like the Sunset Strip in Hollywood which I also hated. I LOVE Knox-Henderson. Very artsy, diverse, and excellent clubs!

It also depends on what type of clubs were talking about as to which city is better. If we are talking about Hip Hop clubs, Houston is much better, if were talking Techno/Electronic/Trance, Dallas is much better.
But i still don't get it. Greenville Ave in Dallas is like Main Street downtown in Houston when it comes to clubs and bar proximity, it's just Main Street has the benefit of being "downtown". Uptown Dallas to me feels like Post Midtown Square in Houston.

Houston Pavilions is (or has) added a few night venues such as Petes Dueling Piano Bar, House of Blues, and the upcoming Lucky Strike Bowling alley. Midtown Houston has all kinds of clubs and bars on the west side of Main Street. Post Midtown sq has a few bars close in proximity. Montrose too, has a few clubs very close to where elgin turns into Westheimer. Then Montrose will be close by to Kirby where West Avenue is finishing up, thus adding a boom of more nightlife to the area. Rice Village may not be great in my books, but it has a few 20 somethings hanging out at some of the bars (same thing Dallas brags on). I've never been to Washington Avenue at night, but i hear its been getting some pretty good press lately.

So, I'm still in question as to what Dallas has more than Houston. Houston has clumps of nightlife in certain areas too. I'll give Austin the edge for its live blues scene, but even that was overrated. Too many college kids. I'm 29 yo and already feel 50 going when visiting 6th street in Austin with all those college kids. Not a very diverse crowd to really define that as a "city".

Old 09-11-2009, 04:44 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
So, I'm still in question as to what Dallas has more than Houston. Houston has clumps of nightlife in certain areas too. I'll give Austin the edge for its live blues scene, but even that was overrated. Too many college kids. I'm 29 yo and already feel 50 going when visiting 6th street in Austin with all those college kids. Not a very diverse crowd to really define that as a "city".
What Houston has better and more of: Hip Hop clubs

What Dallas has better and more of: Techno/Trance/Electronic and Metal

Club wise thats all that one has that the other doesnt. The clumps of clubs are closer in Dallas. Lower Greenville, Knox-Henderson, and Uptown are all right next to each other.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:07 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:

Club wise thats all that one has that the other doesnt. The clumps of clubs are closer in Dallas. Lower Greenville, Knox-Henderson, and Uptown are all right next to each other.
Finally something we actually agree on.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:

Honestly nobody goes to Deep Ellum any more it seems.
I can recall the many weekends I spent sitting bumper to bumper in Deep Ellum trying to get to the clubs when I was going to college in Dallas back in 2000-2001.

Don't know how long you've been living there or how old you are, but I'm a veteran of the Dallas underground rave scene of the late 90's-early 2000's. Deep Ellum had a lot of those kinda clubs that played Electronic Dance Music. The only one that still eXists is the Lizard Lounge on Swiss @ Good Latimer.

PLUR baby!

Old 09-11-2009, 06:00 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:

Dallas definitely has better Metal and Rock venues/clubs. The techno/trance/electronic is probably a toss up.

Quote:
Main St, Midtown, Post Midtown, and Gray St. are close to each other too. I think Houston and Dallas both have about an even amount clumps of bars/clubs close together.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Dallas definitely has better Metal and Rock venues/clubs. The techno/trance/electronic is probably a toss up.
Dallas' EDM scene is bigger & more deeply rooted, it always has been. That said, Houston still has tons of local talent & big name DJ's come to town several times a month so its not like Houston gets passed up.

My theory on why Dallas' dance music scene was flourishing so is because Dallas is where exstacy all got started, plus it used to be a perfectly legal drug & was sold openly at the bars just like buying a beer. The legendary Starck Club (RIP) in Dallas used to be Dallas' answer to Studio 54 in NYC.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 09-11-2009 at 06:35 PM..

Old 09-11-2009, 06:30 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Okay, what I don't get is why are we listening to someone from Austin bash Houston? I mean, okay if you were from L.A, Chicago, NYC, Seattle fine. But Austin? Austin is such a two bit town. It has 6th street, the capital and one of the ugliest flagship state university campuses in the country.

With that said, I repped you for stating your opinion Austinguy.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:22 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinguy2009 View Post
What is there in TMC besides a few restaurants and a lot of hospitals?
Did you seriously just ask that? Texas Medical Center is one of the most well-respected centers of medical healing in the world. If you ever go there because you need a doctor to save your life or health, you won't care about the architecture or the walkability or how cool the urban vibe is. You'll just hope to get better so you can keep complaining about how wretched Houston is.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:36 PM

125 posts, read 312,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinguy2009 View Post
What an idiotic (yet sadly predictable in Texas) retort. So you find everythig about your city/state/country 100% acceptable? If not, why don't YOU move?
There are people on here who agree with you a little, a lot, not much and not at all - but if you look at the threads from just the past couple of weeks we've all had this conversation / discussion / argument a lot. You got nothing new here.... or even interesting at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston