Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:55 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I can recall the many weekends I spent sitting bumper to bumper in Deep Ellum trying to get to the clubs when I was going to college in Dallas back in 2000-2001.

Don't know how long you've been living there or how old you are, but I'm a veteran of the Dallas underground rave scene of the late 90's-early 2000's. Deep Ellum had a lot of those kinda clubs that played Electronic Dance Music. The only one that still eXists is the Lizard Lounge on Swiss @ Good Latimer.

PLUR baby!
Other than the move here, I spent a year at TCU and my mother lives in Waco and my Dad in Houston. So Ive always had ample time to party in Dallas, Austin, and Houston. The electronic scene seems to be migrating Downtown, Uptown and to North Dallas. Its still huge here. I can only think of 3-4 cities in the US I would put above Dallas in that catagory.

And Im 29.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Dallas definitely has better Metal and Rock venues/clubs. The techno/trance/electronic is probably a toss up.
For Techno/Trance/Electronic (and I say this as nicely as I can) its not a toss up. The Dallas scene is better.

Both cities have things they do better Techno is something Dallas does better. Hip-hop and rap is something Houston does better. Hell, the rappers Ive heard from Dallas suck for the most part.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:03 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas' EDM scene is bigger & more deeply rooted, it always has been. That said, Houston still has tons of local talent & big name DJ's come to town several times a month so its not like Houston gets passed up.

My theory on why Dallas' dance music scene was flourishing so is because Dallas is where exstacy all got started, plus it used to be a perfectly legal drug & was sold openly at the bars just like buying a beer. The legendary Starck Club (RIP) in Dallas used to be Dallas' answer to Studio 54 in NYC.
Ill talk your word for it, not my scene and all l know about the scene in Houston is second hand.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:03 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
For Techno/Trance/Electronic (and I say this as nicely as I can) its not a toss up. The Dallas scene is better.

Both cities have things they do better Techno is something Dallas does better. Hip-hop and rap is something Houston does better. Hell, the rappers Ive heard from Dallas suck for the most part.
I co-sign that. Believe it or not there is a pretty extensive electronic music scene here in Dallas, for Texas and the south that is. I used to go to some good raves in Houston too though back in the day.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:13 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
What Houston has better and more of: Hip Hop clubs

What Dallas has better and more of: Techno/Trance/Electronic and Metal

Club wise thats all that one has that the other doesnt. The clumps of clubs are closer in Dallas. Lower Greenville, Knox-Henderson, and Uptown are all right next to each other.
thanks but you still didn't answer my question on the proximity issue. how is that different from the close proximity of the clubs in midtown, post midtown, downtown and washington ave. all those districts are probably within a 2mile radius.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
thanks but you still didn't answer my question on the proximity issue. how is that different from the close proximity of the clubs in midtown, post midtown, downtown and washington ave. all those districts are probably within a 2mile radius.
Dallas is a smaller city. Ive personally had an easier time getting from place to place. If your looking for scientific data, I dont have it. Just personal experiance.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:19 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
i used to have a ball going to raves when i lived in colorado back in college back in 2000/2001. i would've loved to see how texas did it.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:25 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
i used to have a ball going to raves when i lived in colorado back in college back in 2000/2001. i would've loved to see how texas did it.
yep that's right around the time I was goin. Started goin back in 96. They were pretty good here actually. Brought some good talent here and had some great parties at some cool venues.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:17 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
QOL in regions like NYC/SF/LA/Chic/Dall/Hou (or any other of world's most economically relevant regions) all depends upon one's income level, age, where's one's office/home, does one have competent HVAC at one's (hopefully) new-tech, spacious home, what kind of garage one has at home/office for one's car for commute, quality of daily grub convenient to one's home/office, etc

Most of >>$250K/yr jobs in SF region are 40mis S of SF in SiliconValley; many yuppies drive daily from homes in SF (a fast, easy drive in a $150K+ AMG) but SV is classic suburban sprawl, not unlike Hou's EC or Dallas' Irving (Exxon town)

NYC can be fun if one has a $1MM+/yr income and is <30yo....but will be competing for hotties at cool bars with lots of >40yo guys with far more net worth, not just mere income (many are visiting tech titans from SV or energy execs from Hou/Dall or entertainment execs from LA)

Can recall many colleagues in NYC (>$1MM/yr, <30yo financiers) who most enjoyed their brief business trips to Hou/Dall....people in H/D underestimate the charm of the local talent/entertainment easily available for anyone with a few bucks...and lack of 10+% state/city income taxes (like NYC or CA) puts most high-income guys in a much better mood to assess Hou/Dall's damn good QOL vs NYC's crappy weather/lack of car-oriented infrastructure

Old 09-11-2009, 09:19 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
To the OP: Some areas are content with feeling disorganized; as long as money fills the municipal coffers, I suppose it is all good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston