Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 06:37 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I'm not Conservative...a bit of a mix, but I am Kosher, albeit loosely. I take G-d seriously, but not religion if that makes any sense.
Well, not so much to me. But surely to each their own. For me, kosher is like being pregnant, you either are or you aren't .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 07:41 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Well, not so much to me. But surely to each their own. For me, kosher is like being pregnant, you either are or you aren't .
Well, I don't think the world is so black and white. If there weren't room for disagreement on interpretation Jews wouldn't have been arguing over it for 6000 years. As individuals we have to do what we believe is right. Our conscience is on our own heads. I respect your opinion and wish you the best.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,957 times
I'm jewish too and considering moving to the Woodlands, so you would at least know one Jewish woman. I have the same concerns as you, anyone who doesn't understand has probably never had " the look" when you say you are Jewish. I don't have children so my concerns are not as great but I don't want to feel unwelcome. I know they have temple Beth Shalom there and I'm hoping that's a good sign of tolerance though there is not a majority of us. Shalom!

Old 06-01-2011, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,957 times
I'm jewish too and considering moving to the Woodlands, so you would at least know one Jewish woman. I have the same concerns as you, anyone who doesn't understand has probably never had " the look" when you say you are Jewish. I don't have children so my concerns are not as great but I don't want to feel unwelcome. I know they have temple Beth Shalom there and I'm hoping that's a good sign of tolerance though there is not a majority of us. Shalom!

Old 06-02-2011, 08:38 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times
I think this is all a matter of your priorities. If you want to live in a place that has a strong sense of community, regardless of your religious views, then the Woodlands would be fine. If you want a place that is pretty, wooded, has lovely houses etc., then the Woodlands would be fine. If you want a place that has good schools, good shopping, good restaurants, then the Woodlands would be fine. However, if you want to associate with neighbors who share your basic religious views and who have the same interests as regards keeping kosher and that you will see socially at temple, then probably the Woodlands would not be your first choice.

I sort of think that your children might help you decide. If you are orthodox and sundown on Friday will always be the beginning of your sabbath and will mean that your kids will never be able to have sleep-overs, attend Saturday sports activities and the like then you would probably be better served living in a community where that is common. So again, it is all about your priorities. But whatever you choose, welcome to "Houston" and we hope wherever you live that you and your kids enjoy your new life here in Texas. Mazel tov!

Old 06-02-2011, 10:29 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan1012 View Post
I understand what you mean. I'm half Jewish (full really, thanks to Mom) my dad is Catholic and when I tell people I'm Jewish, they give me "the look" as if they can't believe it.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:14 PM

275 posts, read 836,446 times
i'm not jewish and i grew up in an area where having multiple jewish kids in a classroom was common. having been in houston for a few years, my experience with the handful of jews i've run into is that people don't really seem to know they're jewish for a long time. its not that they dont practice, its just that they dont seem to share this info as freely in houston. i dont agree with a previous poster about how people in houston dont care about your religion as long as you dont care about theirs. i see a larger number of people assuming everyone is christian (and thus ive seen co-workers playing christian music in common areas for customers, i've been to work meetings where a prayer is made "in the name of jesus", etc in different offices) here than i did elsewhere. i think part of that is because there ISN'T a very large jewish population here. for your kids' sake, it might be better for you to pick an area in houston where there are other jewish kids so they don't feel any need to be shy about their identity.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:32 PM

270 posts, read 478,386 times
I'm not Jewish,but I have nothing but good things to say about the Woodlands.

Quiet, Quiet. Did I mention quiet ? Yet,plenty of parks,The Mall,great places to eat, great family area ( though I'm single and childless myself ).

For me...just a great peace of mind.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:25 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohouston2 View Post
i'm not jewish and i grew up in an area where having multiple jewish kids in a classroom was common. having been in houston for a few years, my experience with the handful of jews i've run into is that people don't really seem to know they're jewish for a long time. its not that they dont practice, its just that they dont seem to share this info as freely in houston. i dont agree with a previous poster about how people in houston dont care about your religion as long as you dont care about theirs. i see a larger number of people assuming everyone is christian (and thus ive seen co-workers playing christian music in common areas for customers, i've been to work meetings where a prayer is made "in the name of jesus", etc in different offices) here than i did elsewhere. i think part of that is because there ISN'T a very large jewish population here. for your kids' sake, it might be better for you to pick an area in houston where there are other jewish kids so they don't feel any need to be shy about their identity.
Actually, there is a sizable Jewish community in Houston. The majority of Jews who affiliate with a synagogue tend to be in the Meyerland/Bellaire area. Sugar Land has the highest concentration among the large suburbs (Katy, Woodlands, etc.)

The question of being bothered by a prayer in "Jesus' name" is another conversation, but for many of us (Jews) it's just not that big of deal. I worry more about what I am for than what I am against.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:47 PM

275 posts, read 836,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post

The question of being bothered by a prayer in "Jesus' name" is another conversation, but for many of us (Jews) it's just not that big of deal. I worry more about what I am for than what I am against.
i wonder if that (not being bothered by it) is a houston thing. because i dont think it's acceptable in many parts of this country to do that at a work gathering where people are of different backgrounds. not being bothered by it is not really a live and let live thing, because no one is going to pray to shiva at a work gathering without people being bothered by it in houston. im not trying to start a fight or anything, but some people might not want their kids to grow up feeling they have to just let things like that slide. since the OP is clearly concerned about her kids fitting in, this could potentially be an issue. oh, and i don't doubt that there are areas with jewish concentrations in houston, i just think there are fewER jews in houston compared to other huge cities. i think cities where jews are in large presence tend to be more sensitive to the fact that there are people of many faiths living in their city. I don't think that this is a bad place for people of different faiths, I just think that, when raising kids, having SOME similar people around them may help them feel more proud of their background (so maybe a place like meyerland is a good option for her).

Last edited by newtohouston2; 06-02-2011 at 07:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston