Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2007, 02:25 PM

61 posts, read 273,331 times

Advertisements

I have just been told by a friend of mine that she would never move to Katy because it is so much hotter in Katy than anywhere else in the Houston area. Is this true? I just looked at the weather online and saw that Pearland was indeed a few degrees cooler than in Katy, also, same when I compared it to Cypress. Please share any thoughts.I have yet to experience a houston summer but I most definately don't want to live in the Hottest suburb in houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 02:42 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Temperature can differ anywhere in the city. For example, it could be hotter in the Galleria than in Downtown. Pearland could've been hotter than Katy. Katy could've been colder than Sugar Land. It's just a statistical fluke. Try averaging it out instead. But Katy is not like Bryan-College Station; it is not that far inland.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:11 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
I'm sorry, but I just about spit out my coffee when I read that.

Parts of Katy are a wide prairie. Not a whole lot of trees in places, so your friend could mean that because there is not significant shade, it may be hotter by one or two degrees, but it isn't significant, and in all my life I never heard anyone ever say anything like that.

Houston is a very interesting city. To the North and East, we have tall loblolly pines, woods, and yes, even hilly parts (The Woodlands is a classic example). To the South we have vast expanses of coastal prairies lining the Gulf, and to the West, wetlands and flat prairies combined with patches of oak and pine.

You should decide what you like and then go for it...

Old 05-02-2007, 05:09 PM

799 posts, read 3,693,899 times
It can get so hot and humid here, you won't be able to notice the difference between a few degrees! Hot is a way of life down here LOL!

Old 05-02-2007, 05:10 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,446,206 times
Katy = more concrete and fewer trees and vegetation.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:58 PM

212 posts, read 1,273,299 times
Katy is on a flat prairie, and no trees. Mowing your grass in Katy is like baking in an oven. But its hot everywhere, and it just depends, this morning when I mowed it was nice and overcast.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:13 AM

15 posts, read 67,123 times
That got a giggle from me... It might well be a degree or two warmer in Katy but not anything you are going to notice. Remember that the closer you get to the coast the cooler the wind is going to be coming off of the Gulf. Areas like the Woodlands and Cypress have the advantage of lots of tree cover for shade so by default areas like Katy and downtown Houston are going to be warmer. But if you can tell the difference between mowing your yard in 92 degrees and 94 degrees I'll eat my hat

Old 05-03-2007, 12:40 AM

212 posts, read 1,273,299 times
Ok let me change my statement, mowing the grass without trees is like baking in an oven. I even had my Katy Tigers cap on. hahaha. Thanks Midway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston