Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 11:39 AM

7 posts, read 20,334 times

Advertisements

I'm 23, single, and male. I wouldn't necessarily call myself a yuppie but I guess the case could be made. I spend my free time fixing and racing cars. Haven't done much dating, but I'd like to change that. I think the main reason is I haven't met people my age I've been interested in.

I've grown up in the nice parts of Kingwood and after college found my way back to the Houston area. I've been in The Woodlands area for about two years now. I really enjoy the easy access to a wide array of dining, grocery, and shopping options. I also think the trendy Market Street and Waterway bar areas can be fun, but only if you go with a big group of friends.

I have expensive taste: in housing (wide plank cherry floors/cabinets, stainless appliances, dark granite, slate, vessel sinks), in cars, in just about everything. And I'm pretty financially responsible, but the areas I should be looking at for housing has me confused. I'll be commuting to the Hobby airport area and based on some input from family in the Alvin area, originally thought the Pearland area would be the right fit. I've spent about 3 days now driving around including a day with a realtor, and as far as the houses go, I think I'll find something that'll work, but socially I'm not sure I'm in love with the area. Even the realtor said I'll be the youngest one around. I feel like The Woodlands area is similar though probably a younger demographic as far as there being more young couples without kids. It wasn't until I got plugged in with a church that I liked that I really made friends and enjoyed the area. So am I crazy to think that I could do the same down there? Would you stick with the West side (288 corridor) or East side of Pearland or does it matter? I know a few of my college friends work in the NASA area and I would presume others also live in the Clear Lake area. Would I have more options for finding a young, contemporary church crowd out that way towards the Friendswood, Clear Lake, Seabrook, and League City areas? I'm planning on checking out Grace church and Gloria Dei. Please suggest others. Or is it simply hopeless unless you live inside or near the loop?

I've been into a few townhomes downtown/midtown/Rice Village, and honestly, they really appeal to me. I also love the thought of being able to walk or just have a short drive to some hole-in-the-wall coffee shops, pizza places, etc. I just will have to give up the 3+ car garage and room to work on cars. You also pay a lot more per square foot and end up paying monthly fees and Harris county car insurance rates. And those are pretty much the only reasons I'm not looking at downtown. But feel free to influence me.

My shifts will be 630am-230 and 130pm-930pm. I will probably be working weekends. I've talked with several people at the airport and they say they usually beat 45 traffic. I only work 40 hours a week and there's not much I can do from home, so I'll have plenty of time to find entertainment. I enjoy going out to shows in the Theater District and live music upon occasion. I tend to be shy at the bar scene unless I have a few friends around. And I'm not a heavy drinker so it's not my preferred way to meet people, but since Brazoria county is dry, there won't be much of a bar scene around anyways.

As far as timeline, I'm trying to close on something before Nov. 30 for the tax credit. I'll be in the house less than 10 years. Probably more like 3-5 and then move back to the North side and custom build a property with a shop and commute to IAH. So shorter term resale outlook is a very real concern. And I'm looking in the 175-250k range.

I know that was kind of all over the place, but hopefully it makes sense. Thanks so much for any input you can share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 11:45 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,251 times
Have you considered Clear Lake?

West Pearland should appeal to you. It's not midtown, but it's a 15-20 minute drive to midtown for a Friday or Saturday night of clubbing or bar hopping. 20 minutes to downtown to hit up a play.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:49 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times
Look around the Med Center or Midtown also, you can get some townhouses for under 250k, I had a 2/2. Look at Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:04 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
I would think you'll be fine in Clear Lake, zip 77058 only. The others are mainly for families. Straight off this site for zip 77058

Look at Montrose:

Old 09-17-2009, 12:09 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I would think you'll be fine in Clear Lake, zip 77058 only. The others are mainly for families. Straight off this site for zip 77058

Look at Montrose:
Great chart.

I was also going to add. If you are going to chose a suburb, pick the newer section of that suburb not the older. At your age, you rather be around 20s-30s-40s families, than 40s-50s-60s. The newer sections tend to have younger families and the older sections have older families. In general.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:10 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,286,774 times
Clear Lake is fun for people your age. I had a blast living down there in my 20's

Old 09-17-2009, 05:31 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,210,718 times
Yep head for Clear Lake. If you like race cars and fixin up cars, go over to the Chick Fil e (spelling?) in Seabrook/Kemah on a Friday night and look for the tarted up Mustangs (of a variety of years). Bunch of car enthusiasts hang out there. Also several good car shows in that area every year you should enjoy.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:32 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times
Clear Lake would work well for you. In addition to Grace Community Church there is also a contemporary church on Clear Lake City Blvd between Gulf Frwy & Hwy 3 (the name escapes me but it is the only church on that stretch). Lot of young people as well not as big as Grace.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:28 AM

13 posts, read 36,161 times
If i were you, I would consider Friendswood. The homes hold their value and continue to increase. Due to the fantastic school system, you will have no problems selling. You can find a home that suites your tastes wiithin your budget too. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston