Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:59 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Didn't know you attended UCLA. I'm pretty jealous now. Used to live in West Hollywood. The busses in that area are actually pretty reliable. But I don't know when you attended College. Maybe is has improved.

Don't they build some rail road at U of H? Somewhere along Wheeler St. , I think. Perhaps they are trying to do the same. Right now it wouldn't work, anyway. Doubt people would take advantage of busses etc. to get to U of H.
I went to UCLA a long time ago...I'm old.

After that experience with the bus, I never tried LA public transportation again. I thought it was just too scary to be dependent on it.

UH doesn't have any light rail yet. The new line will be the University Line along Wheeler. Metro just started demolishing the houses on Wheeler to get started on it. My big hope is that the new rail line will result in some restaurants being accessible from UH by rail. I don't have a car at work since I carpool and if I have to eat UH food too many more times, I am going on a hunger strike. (I work at UH).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 08:05 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I went to UCLA a long time ago...I'm old.

After that experience with the bus, I never tried LA public transportation again. I thought it was just too scary to be dependent on it.

UH doesn't have any light rail yet. The new line will be the University Line along Wheeler. Metro just started demolishing the houses on Wheeler to get started on it. My big hope is that the new rail line will result in some restaurants being accessible from UH by rail. I don't have a car at work since I carpool and if I have to eat UH food too many more times, I am going on a hunger strike. (I work at UH).
Well, where's that new line gonna go? Downtown? Since you said " University line" , I kinda think it's just one that goes around the campus. Wouldn't be very effective

Old 09-28-2009, 08:15 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Quote:
Well, where's that new line gonna go? Downtown? Since you said " University line" , I kinda think it's just one that goes around the campus. Wouldn't be very effective
University Line

Old 09-28-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks. Looks better than I thought. But probably gonna take forever to complete.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:20 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,107 times
Quote:
Didn't know you attended UCLA. I'm pretty jealous now. Used to live in West Hollywood.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:23 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,935,739 times
Quote:
One of the worst nights of my life happened because UCLA didn't want freshmen to bring cars to campus. I tried to use public transportation in LA to go get a haircut at a salon on Sunset Blvd. The return bus never came and I was stranded in Hollywood with no transportation. Once it was dark out, the drug pushers tried to sell me cocaine. Then some unsavory characters wanted to know if I was selling anything by the hour. I begged my new roommate to come get me and she said she would try to come after she finished watching some stupid TV show. After that, I made a deal with a local church that I would help clean their building twice per month if they would allow me to park my car in their parking lot every day except Sunday. They had a whole bunch of UCLA students doing the same thing, so twice per month we would all be there cleaning church toilets so that we would have a coveted parking space in Westwood, California.

I want my children to attend college somewhere safe that allows cars!
Yikes!!! Having been to LA and UCLA I will say that for some campuses, not allowing cars is probably NOT a good idea. U of H might be one of them, I'm not too familiar with the campus. But I assure you, there is absolutely no reason to own a car at Penn State, it is only a recipe for trouble. It's totally safe and everything is walkable, once you get outside of the college town there is nothing but farms for miles. In fact, we get SO mad when we hear about PSU football players getting DUIs in town...there is just zero reason to drink and drive there.

MIT and Harvard had the same rules but the public transportation system in Cambridge/Boston is awesome.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:55 PM

125 posts, read 312,213 times
One other reason a lot of non-commuter Colleges and Universities do not let 1st year students have a car on campus is that it costs between $10,000 and $20,000 per parking space to build a parking garage. Many of them have a hard time keeping up with parking demand as it is.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:14 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,935,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post
One other reason a lot of non-commuter Colleges and Universities do not let 1st year students have a car on campus is that it costs between $10,000 and $20,000 per parking space to build a parking garage. Many of them have a hard time keeping up with parking demand as it is.
Excellent point. Parking is virtually non-existant at Penn State. I lived way off campus and had a car my senior year...had to take the bus or bike to campus for classes (no parking for students during the daytime), then go home and get my car every afternoon and head right back to campus to work all night in my lab...because the buses didn't run as late as I'd be working there. I got several parking tickets just because my car was still in it's on campus spot at 7am...because I was still working. Refused to pay a couple of them, my mom freaked out when they sent a warrant for my arrest but by then I was long gone, new married name, new car, new license plates, etc. First time I got pulled over by a statie I winced, praying it would not show up...it did not.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
This is such a huge problem at U of H. There's literally NOTHING available after 10 am. I've spent 45-60 minutes to find parking there.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:22 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,107 times
Quote:
it costs between $10,000 and $20,000 per parking space to build a parking garage.

Yeah right!

In NYC, maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston