Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:56 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Wow, the think Wicker Park has become a cool neighborhood! Lotsa money free things to do in Chicago!

I did the museums of Houston. I was bored and went to Joel Osteen's Megachurch for curiosity. Saturdays I would do a 40 mile bike shopping workout visiting thrift stores. The selection of women on Match.com Houston stank. But Houston has way better fast food than Chicago. I tried Hermann Park as a bike workout place but I got bored of it quick, so I road biked the whole city as a workout path. I would visit Galleria on weekends too, eat there, and check out the women there. I never went to a single nightclub in Houston as I didn't know a good one.
Well, that's the thing. Wicker Park is a better place to live for a young person than most places in the United States, much less neighborhoods that are in Houston. I hope that's not skewing your perception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 09:50 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
I'm not sure these are valid examples (having lived in Austin, Houston, and now Manhattan).
I think you missed my point. That is, any city is what YOU make of it. I used the tourist example, because people talk about how interesting other cities are when it's quite possible to be just as bored or excited in Little Rock as a person in Las Vegas. Fun depends on the person, their interests and perhaps how open they are, amongst other things; For example, I found Houston to be great for me as a single and coupled, young, unpretentious gay guy. I'm not really feeling the Boston scene so much) I was also saying for my friends who moved to other places that they often shied away from things they did when they were tourists of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
The reason I'm telling you this isn't to get into another Houston vs Othercity battle, but to suggest that the exact same thing could easily be done in Houston. No, you don't have a subway and tight little neighborhoods, but with a car you could easily accomplish the same thing.
That's exactly the point I was making...But it's possible I didn't make it very well.)

Last edited by theSUBlime; 09-20-2009 at 10:13 PM..

Old 09-21-2009, 09:48 PM

112 posts, read 404,881 times
Default Pain Killer

I have the same problem and lived in Chicago too so I know what the buzz of a REAL big city is. If you like nature, you are going to have to spend a few bucks to get lost in the Hill country.. lots of great state parks up there too..or Austin for nightlife and music and the college crowd. That will remind you of hood haunts in Chitown.

I am always hearing these folks who are just trying to tolerate it say stuff like "it is what you make it." WTF? I DON'T MAKE NOTHING, NOTHING. You are either in a place that has it going on or it doesn't. IT has to be ready for YOU. Imagine New York advertising tourism like that or Vegas...."what goes on here is whatever you make it." The slogan here is "whatever happens in Houston?"

Houston is a flat, boring place with very little on the personality side. I do not wish for HOUSTON to be any other place. There always has to be a good contrasting example someplace. Unfortunately, this is one of them. It is hard to connect when you come from big buzz towns. Try a slide over to New Orleans. That is a revival inoculation...and it has an old soul.

Last edited by atlantis7; 09-21-2009 at 09:57 PM..

Old 09-21-2009, 10:12 PM

81 posts, read 230,596 times
I've never been bored in Houston, but then again... I have friends.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:12 AM

27 posts, read 137,244 times
Find people become friends, get out of your home talk to people, walk around find things to do, dont be scared

Old 09-22-2009, 08:49 AM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I think you missed my point. That is, any city is what YOU make of it. I used the tourist example, because people talk about how interesting other cities are when it's quite possible to be just as bored or excited in Little Rock as a person in Las Vegas. Fun depends on the person, their interests and perhaps how open they are, amongst other things; For example, I found Houston to be great for me as a single and coupled, young, unpretentious gay guy. I'm not really feeling the Boston scene so much) I was also saying for my friends who moved to other places that they often shied away from things they did when they were tourists of the city.
Gotcha. Yes, my apologies, I misunderstood. I've got a cousin who lives in Vegas and he hates it. Can't wait to leave. Of course, everyone he knows calls him for a free place to crash and makes him give free guided tours of the city because, of course, it's all novel and fun to them. He's a craps dealer, so the last thing he wants to do is hit the tables and go to the Strip. I guess it's a little bit of the grass-is-always-greener, but your point is well taken. People who move to tourist traps don't give a rats about the tourist trap after a few weeks at best (usually).

I knew a kid that grew up in Hawaii and he swore to us that you'd be nuts to move to a so-called "island paradise" because, while surfing and staring at the sea sounds like a blast, it gets old like anything else and then you're stuck in the middle of nowhere, staring at the sea.

Houston isn't like that. And let me be clear, I'm not just here to defend Houston and all its shortcomings; which is definitely has. It's far from perfect. But I don't think it deserves the same Badge of Boredom that you'd put on a 10,000 person town in the middle of nowhere where all there is to do is get drunk and pregnant.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfizzy View Post
I've never been bored in Houston, but then again... I have friends.
Yep, it can be boring when a person doesn't have friends and doesn't try to make them. (I think there are titles for such people.) They need to take part in all the action one user said we have.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:30 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
Come on people. It's time to let it go. It has nothing to do with having (no) friends or anything like that. Different people - different oppinions.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:35 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Gosh I don't think I get bored. The few times things get a little slow, I grab the dog and walk around the neighborhood or jump on the bike. The feeling passes. I kind of relish those moments when it's quiet for a more than a minute or two.

Now I do go a little stir crazy when the grey months kick in, around Jan and Feb...

Old 09-22-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Come on people. It's time to let it go. It has nothing to do with having (no) friends or anything like that.
It may not in this case, but having a good friend to goof around...especially when I'm some place boring (like anatomy class) helps. It's simply a suggestion for people who are perplexed about what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston