Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 05:08 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
LOL, how did you get 14 reps for a spiteful post that is in response to a thread that last had activity in 2011?

People must've been drinking their hatorade this morning...
You get 10 rep points just for joining the forum...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 05:10 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
I've found areas close to DT in the Studemont area to be quite ugly and trashy looking.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:11 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Quote:
Thanks for the link! I think I'll take my wife to George's Bistro. We were talking about how there don't seem to be as many good French places in town.
Bistro Provence. But,omg...it's outside the loop.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:34 PM

785 posts, read 1,234,534 times
Quote:
Thanks for the link! I think I'll take my wife to George's Bistro. We were talking about how there don't seem to be as many good French places in town.
I don't really like French food, but Cafe Rabelais in Rice Village is pretty good. Le Mistral in the Energy Corridor and Etoile in the Galleria area are supposed to be some of the best in the city, if you haven't been yet.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:25 PM

1,011 posts, read 976,578 times
Max and Julie's on Montrose owns Cafe Rebalais. Highly recommended.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:59 PM

4 posts, read 4,768 times
New York is ugly. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:40 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,316 times
Houston is not ugly, especially inside the core (well, the Western part of the core). Areas along the I-45 corridor are unattractive, with the exception of suburbs located outside the beltway. Other than that, its not too bad.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:44 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I mean seriously, this isn't one of those threads trying to lift Houston up by tearing down another city, but why don't people call every spade a spade? Houston is a giagantic city with freeways, some lined with atrocious billboards and run-down buildings, and some others lined with lush green trees and towering old and new skyscrapers. Some areas where you can see the many skylines in Houston that can make you feel like you're in a New York City or L.A. Other freeways offer views of the smoke stacks from the industrial factories while others offer a different view that a lot of cities lack... Water (gulf).

So clearly Houston can't be classified as one thing. Why doesn't Chicago catch as much heat for having that big rusty old el train bridge runing right through it's downtown? Or Philladelphia's narrow raggedy streets and run-down buildings, or NYC's dirty streets? It brings me to wonder why "Life" as people live it in Houston is only viewed as ugly? The last time I checked, NYC, Chicago, or LA, were not pretty cities either. True LA has mountains in its backdrop but the thick smog covering the mountain herizon hardly makes it an art painting. NYC has the dirtiest streets where you don't see the roaches like in Houston, but hairy rats running across the street. Oh add some of the dirty bums you see walking up and down, not just the ones you see hanging out at gas stations in Third Ward.

So what is it? People have a natural stigma with the word "Houston". It gets downgraded for everything it's not. It gets credit for all things negative but none positive? Mens fitness magazine has Houston with the number 6 fattest city in the nation, Surpassed by NYC, Chicago, and a few others, yet people still refer to Houston as the fattest in the nation. It's also said not to have any beauty or characther.

If you want Beauty, go to Colorado. Clean pristine air, blue skys but don't expect much character out of the people. Why can't Houston get love for the character it has? The museums, shopping, restaurants, theater district? What's the deal?
I just discovered this thread this moment, and I have to say that you are spot on with the dissonance.

Ultimately, I think it is the combination of the general stereotypes/misconceptions of Houston presented by the media, and the large presence of glass-half empty types in the city, that lead to this type of situation for Houston.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:00 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
I don't get it either.

Houston, to me, is not ugly. It does lack the natural beauty in some parts that I'm used to in Alabama, but it's not ugly. Now, 45 inside the Beltway is a different story. North Houston (outside the beltway) and the northern suburbs are very nice with the tree canopy!

Old 03-31-2015, 06:04 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Who cares? Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has their own...
"And they all stink!!!" I've been to big cities all over this country. Even lived in a few. If I had to move back to a big city, Houston would be my choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston