Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2016, 04:25 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
This, to a "T". I can't stand what the feeder roads do aesthetically, and I would say even culturally, to Texas.
I been saying it for a decade. The only redeeming quality they have is when you are skipping traffic somewhat do to rush hour or accidents. Other than that, they are nothing more than mini freeway eyesores with businesses fronting them. It's brutally ugly. I really have nothing positive to say about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 04:26 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Feeder roads are extremely convenient, and I'd rather have businesses on the main arteries than grouped on the roads outside of neighborhoods. I'm more concerned about the asthetics close to home than on the freeways carrying people through our city.

Next time you're in Pittsburgh or LA and heading across town while needing gas, tell us how wonderful it is.

I'll take feeder roads any day of the week.
The OP seemed to wonder why people find Houston ugly, not whether it is a convenient city to find a service station. Not sure how many states you've lived in. Care to share that? I've lived in 7 states to date, and have never founded it difficult to purchase gas in any of them.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Feeder roads are extremely convenient, and I'd rather have businesses on the main arteries than grouped on the roads outside of neighborhoods. I'm more concerned about the asthetics close to home than on the freeways carrying people through our city.

Next time you're in Pittsburgh or LA and heading across town while needing gas, tell us how wonderful it is.

I'll take feeder roads any day of the week.
Ugh. I highly doubt you have to venture that far off the interstate in these cities looking for gas. In fact, you don't really need a feeder for it anyway. In states without feeders, they are usually off the exit ramp as it is or at several hundred feet off the interstate at the least. And yeah, Texas cities are not known for aesthetics and these feeders do a wonderful job of contributing to that.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
What I don't understand is why OP is saying Chicago isn't classified as ugly. Chicago is praised for its great skyline but then again, so is Houston. Chicago is known to be ugly in the streets. Definitely more so than Houston.
Because hardly anyone would classify Chicago as ugly and I never heard Chicago being known to be ugly in the streets. Ever been to Chicago?

Old 10-10-2016, 05:44 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
The OP seemed to wonder why people find Houston ugly, not whether it is a convenient city to find a service station. Not sure how many states you've lived in. Care to share that? I've lived in 7 states to date, and have never founded it difficult to purchase gas in any of them.
Buying gas when driving on the freeways in LA was always a complete pain in the backside. Tell me I'm wrong.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:46 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Ugh. I highly doubt you have to venture that far off the interstate in these cities looking for gas. In fact, you don't really need a feeder for it anyway. In states without feeders, they are usually off the exit ramp as it is or at several hundred feet off the interstate at the least. And yeah, Texas cities are not known for aesthetics and these feeders do a wonderful job of contributing to that.
Tell me which major city you find to be pretty.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:16 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Chicago is pretty, especially by the lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjNSmAl7hF0

What to Do on Chicago's Lake Shore Drive : Chicago : TravelChannel.com

Quote:
Lake Shore Drive in Chicago is the prettiest extended stretch of urban parkway in America. It's bordered for most of its 15-plus miles by green space, beaches and Lake Michigan on the east and by a mix of parkland, skyscrapers and luxury apartments on the west. This expressway-with-some-stoplights is where Chicagoans bring new visitors who, until they get here, imagine the city as just another old, gray, concrete-and-steel metropolis in the Midwest. The best way to experience Lake Shore Drive is by driving south to north.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:55 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
I know you didn't ask me, but San Francisco and Seattle are the common answers.

Just about every metro in Florida is easier on the eyes, and they're just as new and flat as Houston.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:09 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I know you didn't ask me, but San Francisco and Seattle are the common answers.

Just about every metro in Florida is easier on the eyes, and they're just as new and flat as Houston.
I really don't think you've been to Houston in quite some time because Houston is cleaner, newer and there is more improved development than most major cities. You personally just do not like the type of development in Houston which is considered by urbanists to be bland and soulless. It's a personal aesthetic taste, it's not really the case that Houston is ugly because it's not. Seattle and San Francisco are old cities that developed earlier than Houston and have the natural topography to boot.

I don't even know how you can call Houston "ugly" based on your standards and think cities in FL aren't ugly too.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:54 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Buying gas when driving on the freeways in LA was always a complete pain in the backside. Tell me I'm wrong.
I have no idea what you're talking about. How does this apply to the relative attractiveness of Houston when compared with other cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston