Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2017, 10:42 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,561,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Actually Southern Houston can support a forest. The empty lots around Alief when I was growing up in the '90s was heavily forested with oak trees. Dave may have spent time around Clear Lake visiting NASA and that area looks like the Florida picture due to the salt air and ground water since SE Harris County is very close to the Gulf coastline and with Galveston Bay. TxDOT likes to plant palm trees along IH45, especially on the BW8 interchange.
I love that TXDOT does that. When you head out in different directions from downtown, each freeway has a theme. I remember as a kid when they were redoing the gulf freeway (which has been under construction/reconstruction since WWII) and they added that light blue theme and the palm trees. It gave it a totally different aesthetic. Then they did the SW fwy and North fwy in theme colors and plants. I wonder if they have a theme plan for each freeway or just the major 5 (Gulf, North, Katy, SW, North). East, EasTex, 290, & 288 (I've never heard those last two called by other names) might also have a theme that becomes apparent when they build them out more.

Houston does have a lot of natural beauty and lush greenery. LA gets lauded by people all over the world for being a beautiful natural place, but in all honesty a lot of it is crumbling old 50's style apartments and horrifically neglected pavement. Plus the out of control homeless problem here means endless sidewalks filled with tents, garbage, feces, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 09:12 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,417,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyalta View Post
With the sole exception of San Francisco, ALL American cities are ugly, and they all look exactly the same. If you want a beautiful city, live in Edinburgh, Durham, Bath, York, Oxford , Cambridge, London, Paris, Rome, Florence, Venice...
That's just not true.

Seattle, population of only 700k.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:58 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,909,921 times
As the PP posted a picture above of Seattle, I'll chime in to add that Seattle has just torn down the double-decker highway that ran along its waterfront in favor of a wide pedestrian promenade and 20-acre park, to make Seattle even more lovely and to reduce noise and pollution. Can you imagine Houston ever doing similar??

ETA: The Seattle population number is highly misleading as the official city boundary encloses a relatively tiny land area. The Seattle metro area is ~4 million people.

Last edited by fnh; 01-11-2020 at 10:09 AM..

Old 01-11-2020, 12:26 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,043,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
As the PP posted a picture above of Seattle, I'll chime in to add that Seattle has just torn down the double-decker highway that ran along its waterfront in favor of a wide pedestrian promenade and 20-acre park, to make Seattle even more lovely and to reduce noise and pollution. Can you imagine Houston ever doing similar??

ETA: The Seattle population number is highly misleading as the official city boundary encloses a relatively tiny land area. The Seattle metro area is ~4 million people.
I mean, Houston is about to tear down an elevated freeway through its core (the Pierce Elevated) shortly. What you can't imagine is already happening.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:30 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,444,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I mean, Houston is about to tear down an elevated freeway through its core (the Pierce Elevated) shortly. What you can't imagine is already happening.
Yet destroying a scenic byway! That view of the skyline from I-45 inbound is one of the few scenic spots in Texas.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:37 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,543,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Yet destroying a scenic byway!
To you it's a "scenic" *snort* byway.

To the con getting released from Huntsville or the junkie from DeRidder or wherever where Sheriff Thibodeaux gave them a Greyhound ticket, it means he might have to go somewhere else to buy dope and shoot up.

It's all a matter of perspective.

My perspective is, you get rid of this anchor on the growth of lower downtown/Midtown and go get on one of the other freeways if you want to gawk at skyscrapers from the car. Then some more stuff might get built to look at. God willing, it'll have something to see from the street and not just from the car.

Untitled by James Fremont, on Flickr

This might even be the decade this stack of crap goes down, because this will only help the viability of redeveloping its block.

Sometimes you have to do a little pruning to help the tree grow. I learned that from some friends in the medicinal horticulture field.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:26 AM

5,610 posts, read 4,931,018 times
There's a difference between seeing a long-distance panorama of a city. Los Angeles and Houston look pretty cool in those kinds of shots. LA has the mountainous background and ocean (much more visible since they improved their air quality) and Houston has skyscrapers popping up above a carpet of green trees.

Both cities have some aesthetic issues of the near-cityscape when viewed from street or freeway level. Though personally, I think Houston looks marginally better than much of LA, partly because of greenery, though I wish Houston had LA's more pedestrian-friendly thoroughfares.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:49 AM

2 posts, read 1,584 times
Wink My Beautiful H-town

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
As the PP posted a picture above of SeMiller attle, I'll chime in to add that Seattle has just torn down the double-decker highway that ran along its waterfront in favor of a wide pedestrian promenade and 20-acre park, to make Seattle even more lovely and to reduce noise and pollution. Can you imagine Houston ever doing similar??

I've never been to the NW, but I'd like to and I"m sure it's uniquely beautiful (and ugly) in it's own way.

Thanks for this! Since I just moved back to H-town, this post had me checking the activities and numbers. So I'm now turned on to more places and things to do than I previously knew. Anyway... scuse the errors, it's late/early and I sometimes get insomnia.

I didn't find the census bureau's numbers misleading for metro areas:

(2010 census numbers of course)

#05 Houston (6.9 mil)

#15 Seattle (3.9 mil),

but the assumption that Houston isn't lovely with areas of reduced noise and pollution I DO consider misleading.

Plus, you omitted the wide disparity in AREA numbers

(2010 census sq. miles).

#09 Houston (599.6 land /27.9 water)

#129 Seattle (89.3 land / 58.7 water)

A culturally diverse city greater than 600 sq. miles across will NEVER be Shangri-La from end-to-end. I don't care how many people you put on it, how much money you throw at it, or how hard they try. It just won't happen.

----------------------------------

But H-town's also a gorgeous city. One will never finds what one doesn't want to see, will they?

A 20-acre park making Seattle lovely with less noise and pollution is nice. But it just doesn't compare to Houston. It seems you don't know about Hermann Park, which I find odd because it's over 450-acres of awesomeness....for decades. And we're talking about Texas here friend, so the numbers are about get big on you, ok?

Although it's going to get lengthy I feel it necessary, and found it easier, to draw a mental map of the calming space/activities I, and many, many other Houstonians and tourists take advantage of on a regular basis. And there's no other way to say the shyt's just......BIG.

At the Southern end of Hermann Park is the Museum District. An association of 19 museums, galleries, cultural centers and community organizations, improved and updated by non-profit grassroots movements from 1977-1997 to..... create a more pedestrian/biker-friendly district. All of it walkable and bikeable.

Just South of the Museum District is the Texas Medical Center or the "TMC". A 2.1 sq. mile medical district with over sixty medical institutions, largely concentrated in a triangular area between Brays Bayou, Rice University, and Hermann Park, and are members of the TMC Corporation—a non-profit umbrella organization—which constitutes the largest medical complex in the world. The TMC employs over 106,000 people, hosts 10 million patient encounters annually, and has a gross domestic product of US$25 billion. The Texas Medical Center contains 54 medicine-related institutions, with 21 hospitals and eight specialty institutions, eight academic and research institutions, four medical schools, seven nursing schools, three public health organizations, two pharmacy schools and a dental school. All 54 institutions are not-for-profit.

In 2016, more heart surgeries were performed at the Texas Medical Center than anywhere else in the world with 13,600 heart surgeries annually. 180,000 annual surgeries were performed. The TMC performed one surgery every three minutes. Over 25,000 babies were delivered each year, more than one baby every 20 minutes. The Texas Medical Center offered over 9,200 total patient beds.[8]
The Center receives an average of 3,300 patient visits a day, and over eight million annual patient visits, including over 18,000 international patients. The TMC has over 750,000 ER visitors each year. In 2011, the center employed over 106,000 people, including 20,000 physicians, scientists, researchers and other advanced degree professionals in the life sciences.[9] The TMC has over 160,000 visitors each day.
The Texas Medical Center houses the world's largest children's hospital (Texas Children's Hospital), as well as the world's largest cancer hospital (MD Anderson Cancer Center).

Now with all those patients, they need tranquility, right? A break from the "medicines" and "medicals"?

Here are SOME things available in/around Hermann Park's 445-acres.

HERMANN PARK RAILROAD

SPECIAL TRAIN PROGRAMS

Hermann Park Conservancy offers unique and exciting experiences for train enthusiasts 7-107 years old including private rentals of the Hermann Park Railroad, a special day of helping the Railroad staff with our Engineer-for-a-Day program, and more!

The Hermann Park Railroad has been a favorite with children for over 50 years. The train winds its way around the Park on a scenic tour, delighting riders of all ages. Riders can board at Kinder Station, the main stop for the train, or at one of three substations. The train drops off and picks up riders at the M.D. Anderson Train Station, whose destinations include the Houston Museum of Natural Science. Two other stops accommodate METRORail riders and walkers from the Texas Medical Center and Rice University areas

MARY GIBBS AND JESSE H. JONES REFLECTION POOL

One of the most popular features in Hermann Park, the Mary Gibbs and Jesse H. Jones Reflection Pool measures 740 feet long and 80 feet wide. Sculpted stone edges create an attractive border for the pool and a black bottom offers maximum reflection. Both sides are lined with beautiful mature live oak trees.

HOUSTON ZOO

The Houston Zoo, offers a 55-acre lush tropical landscape for more than 6,000 permanent animal residents. More than 1.86 million guests visit the zoo each year to enjoy learning about a wide variety of animals and the ecosystems they live in. The Houston Zoo is ...
SEE MORE

BRAYS BAYOU

Houston’s 2,500 miles of bayous and waterways are an integral part of its landscape giving the city its nickname “The Bayou City.” One early planner of Houston’s park system noted that the banks of Houston’s bayous were natural parks already. The banks of Brays Bayou in Hermann Park provide a natural setting for people and wildlife. The bayou runs for 31 miles, flowing eastward from Fort Bend County, through Hermann Park, to its confluence with the Houston Ship Channel, taking waters into Galveston Bay.

BAYOU PARKLAND

Bayou Parkland is an 80-acre oasis for native plants and wildlife, nestled along Brays Bayou. Scenic trails, wetlands, prairie meadows and an urban forest offer a diverse nature experience. A multi-use pavilion provides a comfortable place for picnics. The area was once cut off from the Heart of the Park, but is now accessible through a pedestrian underpass below North and South MacGregor.

https://greatruns.com/houston-buffalo-bayou-park/

MCGOVERN LAKE

The scenic, eight-acre lake offers Park visitors a beautiful spot to relax and watch birds or take a pedal boat ride. Major improvements to the lake were started in 1999 when the old lake was drained, enlarged, and concrete edges were added for safety. The lake now includes three islands, with two islands set aside for migratory birds. Catch-and-release fishing is permitted for children under 12 and senior citizens over 65 at Bob's Fishing Pier. Pedal boats are available for rental in Lake Plaza.

LAKE PLAZA

Scenic Lake Plaza, renovated in 2008, is situated along the eastern edge of McGovern Lake and is adjacent to the main entrance to the Houston Zoo. The Plaza includes Kinder Station (the main station for the Hermann Park Train), the Hermann Park Conservancy Gift Shop, Pinewood Cafe, public restrooms, the ...
SEE MORE

BILL COATS BRIDGE

Spanning 290 feet, this contemporary suspension bridge connects the banks of Brays Bayou in the Bayou Parkland area of Hermann Park. Named for a Conservancy founder, the bridge is an important link that connects the Park to nearby neighborhoods and to a 35-mile trail system. Cyclists and pedestrians enjoy the convenience and safety it offers.

JAPANESE GARDEN

With its waterfalls, bridges, and stone paths that wander among crepe myrtles, azaleas, Japanese maples, dogwoods, and cherry trees, the Japanese Garden is a peaceful hideaway in Hermann Park. The garden was designed by world-renowned landscape architect, Ken Nakajima. Natural materials are used, such as rock, wood, and plants, to ...
SEE MORE

The Japanese Garden is open daily for your enjoyment and there is no admission charged.

MARVIN TAYLOR TRAIL

The Marvin Taylor Trail offers runners and walkers a picturesque two-mile path, much of it under the shade of historic live oaks. Renovated in 2011, the former carriage trail now features a decomposed granite surface with concrete curbs, new light poles, and improved drainage. The trail is named for Marvin Taylor, a community leader who helped organize runners and neighbors to clean up Hermann Park. His volunteer group was one of several that joined forces to become the Friends of Hermann Park, now Hermann Park Conservancy.

PEDESTRIAN GREENWAY

The Pedestrian Greenway gives joggers and walkers a safe and convenient way to cross the 3-acre Hermann Park Golf Course. The quarter-mile long trail is partially covered with overhead fencing to protect pedestrians from golf balls.

BUDDY CARRUTH PLAYGROUND FOR ALL CHILDREN

The Buddy Carruth Playground for All Children, opened in 1995, provides play equipment for children of all abilities, most of which is accessible by wheelchair. Designed by landscape architect Lauren Griffith & Associates, the playground also provides a fun interactive water play area, perfect for cooling off.

CHERIE FLORES GARDEN PAVILION

https://www.hermannpark.org/media/up...rdens_map_.pdf

The Cherie Flores Garden Pavilion serves as the main entryway to the Gardens and offers a stunning view of a 30-foot garden mount across the expansive Centennial Green. The Pavilion was designed by Apple store architect Peter Bohlin of Bohlin Cywinski Jackson. The Pavilion is an elegant venue for weddings and other special events. It can accommodate many different events including a seated reception for up to 200 guests, a buffet reception for up to 150, cocktail parties, and meetings.

FAMILY GARDEN

This is an edible, interactive garden, designed to showcase vegetables, herbs, fruit, citrus, and berries that can be grown successfully in the Houston area. Children of all abilities are invited to partcipate in cultivating these beds, and to experience the touch, the scents, the colors, and the taste of fresh vegetables and herbs.

KINDER STATION

Following a $2 million donation by the Kinder Foundation, Kinder Station was built as a new central rail station for the Hermann Park Railroad. Here, riders buy tickets and board the train for a 20-minute scenic trip on the Park’s train. The Hermann Park Conservancy Gift Shop is also ...
SEE MORE LAKE OVERLOOK AND MOLLY ANN SMITH PLAZA

Located on the north shore of McGovern Lake, picturesque Lake Overlook and Molly Ann Smith Plaza offer picnic areas on a raised lawn, shaded seating, and playful interactive fountains for children to enjoy. The Pioneer Memorial obelisk honors the early pioneers who founded Houston.
SEE MORE LAKE PICNIC AREA

Through a partnership with the City of Houston, Hermann Park Conservancy developed the new Lake Picnic area. This enhanced space is located between Miller Outdoor Theatre and Lake Plaza and includes: picnic tables and BBQ grills, a swing set, a boardwalk and new trails.
SEE MORE
MECOM FOUNTAIN

In 1964, oil magnate John W. Mecom and his wife Mary presented the Mecom Fountain as a gift to the City of Houston. The spectacular fountain, located in the traffic circle where Montrose and Main Streets connect, is an iconic Houston landmark. Designed by Eugene Werlin, the fountain was the ...
SEE MORE MECOM ROCKWELL COLONNADE

The attractive Mecom Rockwell Colonnade and fountain were added to Hermann Park in 1968 using the limestone columns from the original Miller Outdoor Theatre, built in 1923.
SEE MORE MILLER OUTDOOR THEATRE

Miller Outdoor Theatre offers one of the most diverse seasons of professional entertainment of any Houston performance venue. Theater-goers can take in a show in the covered seating area or enjoy a performance and picnic on the hillside. All performances at Miller Theatre are family-friendly and free of charge.
Visit ...
SEE MORE O. JACK MITCHELL GARDEN

The O. Jack Mitchell Garden is named for the former dean of the Rice School of Architecture. The picturesque garden is located along the side of the Jones Reflection Pool across from Arbor in the Pines.
SEE MORE PEDAL BOAT LAGOON AND DOCK

Hermann Park's Pedal Boat Lagoon is the starting point for pedal boat rides on McGovern Lake. Boaters get up close and personal with the many ducks and water fowl that call Hermann Park home, as well as fish swimming below the surface. The cost is $11 per boat for ...
SEE MORE PINEWOOD CAFE

Located in Hermann Park's Lake Plaza, next to Kinder Station, Pinewood Cafe features fresh salads, wraps, sandwiches, burgers, a kids' menu, and smoothies, plus a fun build-your-own grilled cheese menu. The dining terrace overlooking McGovern Lake is an unbeatable setting for an enjoyable meal. Call ahead for pick up ...
SEE MORE PIONEER MEMORIAL OBELISK

The Pioneer Memorial granite obelisk, located on Molly Ann Smith Plaza between the Jones Reflection Pool and McGovern Lake, honors the early pioneers who founded Houston. The monument was placed in Hermann Park in 1936 to celebrate the centennial of Texas Independence. It was created by a German Immigrant, Frank ...
SEE MORE SARA H. AND JOHN H. LINDSEY PLAZA

The Sara H. and John H. Lindsey Plaza provides an attractive entryway to Hermann Park, leading from the Sam Houston Monument to the Mary Gibbs and Jesse H. Jones Reflection Pool. Colorful landscaping and paving bricks create a beautiful spot welcoming visitors to the Park.
SEE MORE TIFFANY & CO. FOUNDATION BRIDGE

The attractive Tiffany & Co. Foundation Bridge spans the corner of McGovern Lake near the pedal boat lagoon and connects the Lake Plaza and Lake Picnic areas. A $1 million grant from Tiffany & Co. Foundation in 2008 made this scenic bridge possible. The bridge was designed by Overland Partners with White ...
SEE MORE URBAN FOREST

A small urban forest, tucked away in Bayou Parkland along the banks of Brays Bayou, provides cooling shade and a quiet place to rest. The numerous species of trees and undergrowth are a source of food and shelter for a variety of wildlife. The forest is the perfect retreat from ...
SEE MORE

And honestly, the food is so affordable, fresh, and plentiful here (I'm coming from DC metro), I'm surprised the H isn't hand's down the fattest city EVERY year. Whatever you like; fast, American, Brazillian, Cuban, Vietnamese, Chinese, Columbian, Thai, Japanese, Soul, Mexican, Peruvian, etc...the communities are large enough that true authentic isn't far away. I KNOW I need a gym membership. lol

And that's only Hermann Park. LOTS more to do when you come to town, so give it a try! Houston isn't this big (getting bigger) by accident!

Old 01-14-2020, 08:58 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,909,921 times
IntlBlkLuv, are you directing the previous post at me? I have a home in Houston too, where my family has lived for nearly half a century now. I don't need to be educated on the good and bad of Houston, but thanks I guess.

Honestly this page is super annoying with the oversized photo skewing the layout beyond the screen. It's hard to read posts and respond.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:05 AM

8,475 posts, read 4,722,080 times
Houston isn’t ugly, but it is unique. They don’t really believe in zoning, so the layout can be less intuitive. It’s not that the city has any jarring juxtapositions, but for anyone from just about anywhere else it will feel slightly different, which is why I think it’s labeled as ugly.

In my book, I don’t find Houston particularly pretty. It’s rather plain in most ways. I always want to like it more than I do. That’s not a knock on Houston, either, it’s a vibrant place with great winter weather, proximity to Galveston, and it does a lot of important petrochemical work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston