Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 06:28 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times

Advertisements

A couple nights ago I broke a crown to my gum line. There is very little tooth left after the break.

I went to see a dentist today and received an estimate of $2000 or so for a bridge and $4000 or so for an implant. I need work from both an oral surgeon and a dentist. This is annoying because I already spent almost $2000 on this same tooth for the crown that broke.

$2-4K is a lot of money for my family right now, so I'm wondering if I should be a patient for the dental students at UT Health Science Center. I'm assuming the cost will be a lot less, right? Has anyone had work done there? I know that it would take a lot longer but I'm mostly concerned about the quality of the work and the level of comfort (or discomfort) during the procedure.

Anyone care to share their experience there? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 06:53 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
I had my wisdom teeth cut out (yes, oral surgery) there when I was in college and broke. They did a very good job and I was able to go to school and work the next day (a bit swollen though). Once you get in, the timing is not bad. Been a while, so I'm sure the costs have changed but when I went it was about 1/5 what the outside world was charging. Well worth it IMO. I was very satisfied with the service. I'll pass along the advice that was given to me..."get there early in the morning".

Old 09-24-2009, 07:13 PM

354 posts, read 2,430,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
A couple nights ago I broke a crown to my gum line. There is very little tooth left after the break.

I went to see a dentist today and received an estimate of $2000 or so for a bridge and $4000 or so for an implant. I need work from both an oral surgeon and a dentist. This is annoying because I already spent almost $2000 on this same tooth for the crown that broke.

$2-4K is a lot of money for my family right now, so I'm wondering if I should be a patient for the dental students at UT Health Science Center. I'm assuming the cost will be a lot less, right? Has anyone had work done there? I know that it would take a lot longer but I'm mostly concerned about the quality of the work and the level of comfort (or discomfort) during the procedure.

Anyone care to share their experience there? Thanks!
Topaz, if I'm not mistaken we both have that horrible Aetna dental plan right? Or have you changed to PPO since then? My election period isn't until November...and I can't wait!!! I was also considering going to UT for my crown...I got a quote of $1750 from one of Aetna's "providers"....of course it's not covered!

Last edited by rubynicholson77056; 09-24-2009 at 07:22 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 07:21 PM

421 posts, read 1,726,734 times
I had crown issues, and the price that I was quoted at UTHSC was more than what I would pay with insurance and my dental insurance is horrible. Someone correct me if I am wrong,(my memory is bad) but they told me that they do not install implants. I would have to visit my oral surgeon for part of the procedure and UTHSC for the other half. Bridges did not require trips to multiple doctors.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynicholson77056 View Post
Topaz, if I'm not mistaken we both have that horrible Aetna dental plan right? Or have you changed to PPO since then? My election period isn't until November...and I can't wait!!! I was also considering going to UT for my crown...I got a quote of $1750 from one of Aetna's "providers"....of course it's not covered!
I switched to the more expensive PPO plan, which means I can choose my own dentist. Coverage is still not great, though, as the annual benefit is capped at $1500. You can blow through $1500 pretty quick if you have any significant dental issues.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:43 PM

38 posts, read 109,647 times
Try checking out their website. It gives you detailed info about what they can and cannot do. I agree with an earlier poster, get there very early. There is usually a line waiting when the doors open. Best of luck to you.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga gal in tx now View Post
Try checking out their website. It gives you detailed info about what they can and cannot do. I agree with an earlier poster, get there very early. There is usually a line waiting when the doors open. Best of luck to you.
I did check out their website, and I followed the instructions about trying to get an appointment. Their phone system is horrible and puts you in an infinite loop some of the time and just disconnects you other times. I'm still pondering options but I think I'll skip UTHSC.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:51 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
I know a few guys who took a road trip to Mexico for this kind of dental work, and came back with excellent results.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:02 AM

I did get an appointment at UTHSC and I'm going for an evaluation. They said to plan 4 hours...I hope it isn't a miserable experience!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:12 AM

354 posts, read 2,430,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I did get an appointment at UTHSC and I'm going for an evaluation. They said to plan 4 hours...I hope it isn't a miserable experience!
Let us know how it goes!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston