Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:55 PM

21 posts, read 182,028 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am expecting the 2nd baby anytime between now and early Oct according to my OB. Now I am worried about my 19 month old daughter, don't know who can take care of her while we are in delivery room and the following 1-2 days while we are in hosptial afterwards. Most of our friends here are working singles/couples who have no experience on taking care of little ones and are busy at work. I don't have any stay at home friends who could help us on this.

I have been searching for an overnight daycare place in Sugar Land for a while but no success at all. I did look at craigslist where som baby sitters can drive to our home and stay with my daughter for overnight. But I don't feel comfortable leaving my daughter to a stranger while we are not at home. My OB said bringing a 19M old to delivery room is not a good idea b/c the labor might start anytime and she might feel scared and become fuzzy.

Well, any advice on what I should do? Thanks a lot!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 10:30 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
You should contact your hospital's ob department and ask them for services that provide overnight nannies and new parent help at home. I know you said you weren't comfortable with someone staying with your child at home but at the same time, it doesn't sound like you have too many options. I've actually never heard of any overnight daycares

I'd also be more comfortable hiring a professional through hospital recommendations rather than Craigslist!

I know nothing about this company but was thinking along these lines:

Nannies Houston, Nanny Service Texas, Nanny Jobs in Houston, Houston Nanny, Houston Babysitters: Mom̢۪s Best Friend Agency

I'd call them & have them send some people out for you & your family to meet. Maybe you'd feel more comfortable having a few meetings with someone under your belt.

Also, if you belong to a church, people are usually always very willing to step up in cases such as yours.

Do you have a group of mutual friends who might be willing to pitch in? Maybe people your daughter is familiar with? Don't sell your single/couples friends short - they might not be able to do 2 or 3 days but they might be able to rotate coming to your house to stay with your daughter. One of the things I learned as a new mom was that sometimes you just need to ask and/or accept the help people offer.

Good luck - I hope you find a solution...and I hope you have a speedy & safe delivery!

Old 09-25-2009, 06:07 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,264,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
You should contact your hospital's ob department and ask them for services that provide overnight nannies and new parent help at home. I know you said you weren't comfortable with someone staying with your child at home but at the same time, it doesn't sound like you have too many options. I've actually never heard of any overnight daycares

I'd also be more comfortable hiring a professional through hospital recommendations rather than Craigslist!

I know nothing about this company but was thinking along these lines:

Nannies Houston, Nanny Service Texas, Nanny Jobs in Houston, Houston Nanny, Houston Babysitters: Mom’s Best Friend Agency

I'd call them & have them send some people out for you & your family to meet. Maybe you'd feel more comfortable having a few meetings with someone under your belt.

Also, if you belong to a church, people are usually always very willing to step up in cases such as yours.

Do you have a group of mutual friends who might be willing to pitch in? Maybe people your daughter is familiar with? Don't sell your single/couples friends short - they might not be able to do 2 or 3 days but they might be able to rotate coming to your house to stay with your daughter. One of the things I learned as a new mom was that sometimes you just need to ask and/or accept the help people offer.

Good luck - I hope you find a solution...and I hope you have a speedy & safe delivery!
All great options and hope you find a solution. Sounds though like hubby will be in the waiting room with oldest child. We were kinda in the same boat but thankfully the in laws came half way across country to be with ours.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:27 AM

166 posts, read 899,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdowntx View Post
I have been searching for an overnight daycare place in Sugar Land for a while but no success at all. I did look at craigslist where som baby sitters can drive to our home and stay with my daughter for overnight.
I would stay far away from craigslist if it involves your kids!

Old 09-25-2009, 08:18 AM

43 posts, read 207,183 times
OMG..Craig'sList!~! or any list for that matter. NO!!!
You mean to tell me that there is NO ONE that your little one can stay with for those few days that you or hubby knows and knows well... Please contact your church or place of worship and ask the priest or minister for help. YOU need to keep your child safe at all times and at all costs!!! There are toooo many crazy people out there. Good Luck to you.
Signed: Sugar Land Mom and Grandma here.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:48 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
Call your parents or cousins or sister anyone other than Craigslist. I would leave Hubby with the older child and have the baby alone before I would hire anyone from an online list.
I am sure Grandma will step it up if you mention you will have to use an online service to watch their Grandchild.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:42 AM

363 posts, read 1,146,474 times
You have received great advice...number one being NO CRAIGSLIST or Online services.

Sometimes the tough thing about being a parent is that you no longer can put yourself before your child. Their needs come first. This is one of those times. Please have your child stay with whomever was going to be in the delivery room with you...assuming the father. Since you will need a support system too....why not ask a good friend or friends to be with you in the delivery room? If the timing works out and multiple people are at the hospital...including your 19 month old...they can trade off watching her and helping you.

You have to remember that this is going to be a challanging time for your 19 month old as well. Bringing a sibling into her world is going to disrupt things for her too.

Good luck!

Old 09-25-2009, 11:44 AM

12 posts, read 63,051 times
Got to agree with Westres1 .

Old 09-25-2009, 12:04 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,938,024 times
This is one of those times when you have to trust your friends and take a chance at asking someone you know for help. I'm assuming you aren't part of a church family because that would be the first place I'd turn, after my own family. There really isn't any such thing as an overnight daycare. Otherwise choose a friend to be in the delivery room wtih you and leave your husband home with your other child...

Old 09-25-2009, 06:45 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe So View Post
Sometimes the tough thing about being a parent is that you no longer can put yourself before your child. Their needs come first. This is one of those times. Please have your child stay with whomever was going to be in the delivery room with you...assuming the father.
Goodness sakes, I disagree wholeheartedly with this advice. I'm sure there is someone trustworthy who can take care of her child.

topdowntx, where do you live? Can you join a mommy group and meet some moms?

Or, Mom's Best Friend
is a trusted agency. Maybe you could meet a nanny ahead of time?

Or what about retaining a postpartum doula who would begin her shift when you go into labor? She could watch your child until you come home and then she could take care of you and your household after that. Many of my friends in Seattle hired doulas for two week shifts following the birth of a child. They loved having the extra help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston