Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 01:58 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,851,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
I think you should pass by or google street it. This area is definitely not chinatown. IIRC Fiesta mart is at this intersection, and taco trucks here and there.
I used to pass by it all the time when I lived in "New Chinatown" at Beechnut & HWY 6.

That whole SW area is a conglomerate of ethnicities from Chinese, to Taiwanese, to Vietnamese, to Filipino, to Indonesian, to Pakastani, to Latino, & even a few Nigerians. Most would agree with me however its dominated by Asians. The Chinese & Vietnamese basically own Bellaire from Fondren all the way over to HWY 6. Those few spaces you do see with Latino stores are actually owned & leased out by Asians, even the apartments along Bellaire are Asian owned even if you don't see the traditional Chinese characters written all over the front (just a little FYI).

Last edited by Metro Matt; 09-29-2009 at 02:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 11:10 AM

93 posts, read 281,616 times
Wow, some of the posts in this thread are ridiculous. Honestly, you can walk around almost any area of Houston at night without having to worry about being robbed/kidnapped, as long as you're not a girl or an older person. I'm a white kid from Sugar Land, used to live on the North side(Spring -- went to Wells MS, and Westfield HS for a year) so i'm used to diversity I guess, but I just LAUGH every time one of these threads pop up. I've walked down South Gessner, all the wards, acres home, and many other 'bad' areas at night alone, i've never had any problems. At the same time though, i'm 20, so I somewhat fit in, as of most of the crimes being committed in Houston are probably done by 18-30 year olds(yes, white people do committ crimes too). Maybe I don't worry enough about my safety, but after going from Westfield HS to Clements HS(Westfield i'm guessing is 50%+ african american, 40% hispanic i'm guessing, opposed to Clements which is the EXACT opposite) I guess I just don't scream "GHETTO GHETTO GHETTO" as much as some people on these forums when I see a few black people walking around late at night. Are most of the people that are concerned about this **** from Sugar Land? Seems like it, hell I live here and it seems like 60% of the people haven't been out of 'the bubble'.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 8,594 times
Relax ya'll, listen if you're out at some crazy hour' other than being home than you are susceptible to find someone who would like to try you, go home after work, or if you're going out to a neighborhood that you're not familiar with carry your pepper spray or your gun!But my best suggestion would be to be home in your own castle, if someone tries you there, then he will get whatever that's coming to him 3-fold! Stay close to your Glock while watching TV and get a Pitbull, they are great guard dogs to their masters!! And stay safe ya'll..God Bless..

Old 04-08-2010, 12:38 AM

116 posts, read 279,308 times
Get Chad Roper to walk you to your car, loaded with coconuts. You will be fine.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:54 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,831,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictis View Post
Wow, some of the posts in this thread are ridiculous. Honestly, you can walk around almost any area of Houston at night without having to worry about being robbed/kidnapped, as long as you're not a girl or an older person. I'm a white kid from Sugar Land, used to live on the North side(Spring -- went to Wells MS, and Westfield HS for a year) so i'm used to diversity I guess, but I just LAUGH every time one of these threads pop up. I've walked down South Gessner, all the wards, acres home, and many other 'bad' areas at night alone, i've never had any problems. At the same time though, i'm 20, so I somewhat fit in, as of most of the crimes being committed in Houston are probably done by 18-30 year olds(yes, white people do committ crimes too). Maybe I don't worry enough about my safety, but after going from Westfield HS to Clements HS(Westfield i'm guessing is 50%+ african american, 40% hispanic i'm guessing, opposed to Clements which is the EXACT opposite) I guess I just don't scream "GHETTO GHETTO GHETTO" as much as some people on these forums when I see a few black people walking around late at night. Are most of the people that are concerned about this **** from Sugar Land? Seems like it, hell I live here and it seems like 60% of the people haven't been out of 'the bubble'.
What are you talking about? Don't you think it's up to the people who actually live in Houston to decide ? I would certainly NOT walk around "in almost any area" at night. Not even close to "almost any".
I would be scared anywhere. I've had my share of bad experiences when walking around at night... even in the Heights.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:46 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,180,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
What are you talking about? Don't you think it's up to the people who actually live in Houston to decide ? I would certainly NOT walk around "in almost any area" at night. Not even close to "almost any".
I would be scared anywhere. I've had my share of bad experiences when walking around at night... even in the Heights.
It's a shame isn't it? I can remember when you didn't even have to lock your doors in Houston...

Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 AM

1,188 posts, read 3,464,788 times
I used to live in the neighborhood right across the Bellaire from the main core of New ChinaTown near Gessner. Many times I'd be having trouble sleeping (I travelled a lot and would be reverse jet-legged) and would walk around the plazas at 2,3,even 4 in the morning and never had a problem with people hastling me. It was always VERY quiet. Asians are early risers and hard workers I guess.

Only once I was was hastled but that was by a rent-a-cop security guy at one of the strip plazas who thought I was a burgler.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:16 AM

480 posts, read 1,690,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictis View Post
Wow, some of the posts in this thread are ridiculous. Honestly, you can walk around almost any area of Houston at night without having to worry about being robbed/kidnapped, as long as you're not a girl or an older person.
Tell that to the two guys who got shot to death while sitting in their car a few streets behind the Hong Kong City mall a couple of weeks ago.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:30 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,642,051 times
Ouch. Sucks. I like Hong Kong City mall, it's awesome....

But you certainly cannot walk around almost any area of Houston at night without having to worry about being robbed or kidnapped. That doesn't mean that you will certainly be a victim, but it surely isn't safe in all areas. The high amount of violent crime in Houston can show that.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:51 AM

867 posts, read 2,964,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post

But you certainly cannot walk around almost any area of Houston at night without having to worry about being robbed or kidnapped.
There are many parts of Houston that are safe enough to walk around at night. Just don't make yourself a target. It also helps to have a CHL and a cell-phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston