Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 12:43 PM

98 posts, read 310,175 times

Advertisements

I’m in Pasadena all the time. People stereotype the place because of various sections. It actually has some gorgeous parks (Bay Area, Armand Bayou) and very nice hike/bike trails. I think most people fail to realize that it extends all the way to Clear Lake lake.

I'm more afraid of pesticide then I am of bugs, but you can spray for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 01:05 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,451,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
I'll be honest with you. I would worry a whole lot more about my personal safety in Pasadena than bugs. Pasadena, except for where those big petrochemical plants are, is a place i wouldn't go with less than an armored car and two assault rifles.

One thing people must get used to is bugs in Texas. Unless you live in a sealed cocoon, there's no way to eliminate them. Here's another piece of news, if you haven't checked yet, there are about a few thousand bugs living right under your facial skin and ears.

You need to overcome your fear of bugs.
Unless the OP is planning on breaking into Joe Horn's neighborhood, he won't have to worry too much about his personal safety.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
I have lived in apartments all my adult years. Generally you will be most affected by the neighbors' cleanliness (or lack thereof) in the units above and below you. That said, I've never really had an issue...but where I used to live in NY the pest control came every Friday. Also keep in mind that sometimes bugs (especially roaches) can be brought in by YOU, say in a grocery bag.

Now I'm in Texas and on the second floor of a three-story apartment complex. I don't have any problems here either, and don't even have the exterminator visit. I guess my above and below neighbors don't have an issue either. Once in a great while I see a spider (just your everyday kind, not a black widow or brown recluse) -- so I whack it. Not a big whoo in my book. Actually I'm more concerned about the stubborn wasps who want to build a nest outside on my balcony...but I've gotten pretty good with the 10-foot spray!

FYI...I grew up in Ohio. Stop freaking. You'll be fine!

P.S. to Nita... I admit that finding even a baby copperhead would scare me! I don't "do" snakes.... Was it IN your house or "just" out in the yard?
you are right about the neighbors. We lived in an apartment in Carrrollton before we purchased a home and had no problems, but my mother in law who was a clean freak had roaches due to her less than clean freak neighbors on one side or the other. They get into the wall and away they go. She kept them under control by using boric acid. We did the same after we bought our place; plus we used an exterminator.

Now for the snake: do you really want to know? Well, I will tell you anyway. We do use an exterminator every 3 months and after they finish they leave these little triagle stickey pads in several locations. Well about 2 weeks ago we had the family here and we were in the screened in porch. Our grandson in law said he would throw one away that was filled with dead bugs. He picked it up and you guessed it:: there was the baby copper head, he had gotten trapped. The thing that freaked me out: where there is a baby there could be a mommy and a daddy..Thank God I had drank a little too much wine that night. If I had been totally sober I would have triple freaked out!!!

Nita

Old 09-28-2009, 02:21 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,065 times
Thumbs up you'll be okay!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioturtle View Post
My husband has received a job transfer to Pasadena. It's either this transfer or he'll be unemployed as his division is closing here in Ohio. We are both in our early 50s and were very upbeat about this transfer...until yesterday. I am terrified of bugs/insects of all types,especially spiders. After reading through these forums, I'm afraid I won't be able to enjoy living in Texas. Is it possible with the use of a good pest control company, to live bug free? I'm trying to get excited about the move again but I can't imagine being afraid to live in my own apartment.
Use screens & doors judiciously to help keep incoming critters at a minimum... If you have a home there with a separate entry (like a mud room) that may help...

If I were you, I'd search online for methods of using boric acid... My boyfriend once lived in a Hollywood duplex that was nearly over run with normal sized cockroaches (not TX sized hahaha). He controlled them with boric acid & it was amazingly easy.

I believe if you educate yourself about the insects, it'll help mitigate your fear. From what I understand, cockroaches are actually rainforest creatures & scavengers. They're as clean as their habitat...

Maybe you can get a large pet lizard that can eat intruding insects!!!!! It should be an adventure. You can blog about it & we'll all read about it!

Warmly, Kate

Old 09-30-2009, 07:59 AM

469 posts, read 1,451,907 times
ohioturtle, just wondering if you and your husband decided yet on the transfer. I don't know anything about Pasadena myself, but there are a lot of people on here that can offer a wealth of information.
Steph

Old 09-30-2009, 11:14 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Get some Bengal Gold Roach Spray. It's a dry spray. Use it on the inside and outside perimeters of your house every 6-8 months and you'll never see a live bug. I cant believe how great this stuff works. I even give it as gifts. (Only in Texas would anyone understand that)

Gold Roach Spray | Walgreens

Old 09-30-2009, 01:02 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
I agree, Bengal products are good at killing bugs.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:12 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
I'll be honest with you. I would worry a whole lot more about my personal safety in Pasadena than bugs. Pasadena, except for where those big petrochemical plants are, is a place i wouldn't go with less than an armored car and two assault rifles.

One thing people must get used to is bugs in Texas. Unless you live in a sealed cocoon, there's no way to eliminate them. Here's another piece of news, if you haven't checked yet, there are about a few thousand bugs living right under your facial skin and ears.

You need to overcome your fear of bugs.
Please..........get real. The crime in Pasadena is probably a lot lower than most of Houston with the exception of the luxury areas. Yeah you can drive into some bad areas - as you can Houston. You need to overcome your fear of areas you don't live in or only view from Hwy. 225 which is an industrial highway. We exterminate a couple of times a year and never have any bug issues. You'll love it here - people are friendly, bugs are controllable.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:08 PM

38 posts, read 109,653 times
I agree with the poster who said if you are moving to Pasadena, bugs will be the least of your problems. Pasadena is also called "stinkadena". Houston is great! The people are wonderful but the truth is - don't live in Pasadena. You need to allow a number of days to find a place where you will feel safe to come home to. Of course, moving to keep your job is critical so come on down - even if you are in Pasadena for a short while until you find somewhere better in the area to live. Best of luck!

Old 10-04-2009, 10:08 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Pasadena was known as stinkadena during the 60's and early 70's due to I believe sulphur plants in the area which have been long gone for many years but the mantle still sticks particularly by those of an older generation. Extremely high end areas of Clear Lake are sometimes within the city limits of Pasadena as are nice areas in newer Pasadena (Fairmont Pkwy & Space Center Blvd.) The truth is that many response you get here are often opinion more than true fact (and that is in regard to good and bad things). The best thing you can do is come and visit and look at your work area, the surrounding area, communities, your likes and dislikes and your needs and see what works for you. There are great areas to live in all on sides of Houston and those one one side may hate the other and vice versa when it comes to opinions. You'll see what you like, don't like and what works for you in terms of lifestyle and commute. The only thing I would avoid are any known crime hotspots in the entire Greater Houston area - they have them on all sides of town. You'll find great living areas on all sides of town as well. Take a look around and you'll find some nice areas nearby whatever it is you need to be near. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston