Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:54 AM

181 posts, read 849,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Have no idea if these stats are true...but this states crimes are actually down! With Houston being at a all time best in 40 years! It also says Houston is 8th in violence in comparison with other large cities.

Violent-crime rates: Serener streets | The Economist

"according to analysis by the Houston Chronicle, Houston is the most violent big city in Texas, and the eighth-most-violent in the country. "

That's pretty bad! We're the 8th worst in the country out of ALL big cities!!!! It's good that crime is down overall though but we're still horrible compared to other big cities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 10:58 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
I didn't say Houston was perfect...I read my own link...but show me a city the size of Houston that is.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:01 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
You want us to be the 4th largest city in the Country and have the crime rate of Boise Idaho?

How about getting your elected officials to CLOSE THE DANG BORDER and not offer free Health Care to those that cross. That might slow some of the violent criminals down from crossing into Texas. And most Texans know, most of the violence is coming from south of the border.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
You want us to be the 4th largest city in the Country and have the crime rate of Boise Idaho?
No, I want us to be the 4th largest city in the country and have the crime rate of NYC or LA Or not be 8th worst out of all big cities

Old 09-28-2009, 11:04 AM

Sorry, LA has some places that make SW Fondren look tame.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:08 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
Quote:
Sorry, LA has some places that make SW Fondren look tame.
Add Harlem in NYC...I'll take my chances in Houston.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:25 AM

Okay, I don't know why people have such trouble with stats! What you guys are saying are anecdotes, you realize that right? Like if an alien came to earth and his sole goal was to go as long as he can without being robbed or randomly shot, he would rationally choose NYC or LA over Houston. You people don't deny this right? This has nothing to do with whether there are bad parts in other cities.

Also, maybe the reason NYC and LA are safer is precisely because they have more concentrated bad areas, so it's very easy to police them and for normal citizens to avoid them. The fact that Houston has so many bad places mixed with good might be the causal mechanism by which it is more dangerous. But that it is more dangerous is not up for debate.

I feel like I'm tutoring math again :-/

Old 09-28-2009, 11:33 AM

Houston most definately has concentrated bad areas...where most of the violent crime occurs. I know where they are, and I don't go to them.

You want to fix it? Fine it's easy. A mayor that won't make this a Haven City, more cops and less illegals. Done.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Houston most definately has concentrated bad areas...where most of the violent crime occurs. I know where they are, and I don't go to them.

You want to fix it? Fine it's easy. A mayor that won't make this a Haven City, more cops and less illegals. Done.
Actually "illegals" aren't responsible for much violent crime, statistically. Sure you have the occasional latin gang killing etc. but it's mostly in their own community and really statistically it's just not that much of the homicides. LA has more "illegals" than Houston and lower crime. Most crime is committed by inner city blacks (as un-PC as that is to point out).

Besides, the economy here depends on cheap immigrant labor. Business interests would never allow it, and we'd all be screwed anyway since the COL would shoot up.

I agree we need MUCH more policing, which is why I like Pete Brown's idea of neighborhood policing. He is a city planner from Philly so he knows a thing or two about tough 'hoods.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:53 AM

Why do you have to put illegals in quotes?

Please show me stats where blacks commit more violent crimes in Houston than Hispanics. Whether it be on each other or on other victims. I'd be interested in seeing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston