Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 05:32 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,415,301 times

Advertisements

What really makes Houston dangerous is all the self-important drivers who can't wait until they stop somewhere to reply to a text message. They scare me more than the gangbangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 08:03 PM

243 posts, read 484,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
On the other hand, rapes, robberies, home invasions and aggravated assaults are not an intramural affair.
Yes, they typically are. Not all, but most.

The OP acts like everyone they know has been robbed at gunpoint in Houston. I've lived here for many years, have a large social circle through friends, family and work, and I only know of one person (a friend's wife) that was a vicitim of a crime--she had her purse ripped off her shoulder in a mall parking lot 10+ years ago. She was not in a gang or looking to buy drugs so score 1 for you!

Old 09-30-2009, 02:07 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,250,485 times
From what I have read it seems Dallas, Chicago and Rockport, Ill are far more dangerous than Houston

Old 10-02-2009, 07:19 PM

497 posts, read 1,479,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
Of course I have. What does that mean? Are you saying the statistics are lying??? You're more likely to get randomly robbed or shot in Houston than those 2 cities. Statistics are superior to anecdotes!
LA proper maybe. Greater LA compared to Houston? - no way. That is where the statistic is deceptive.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:39 PM

739 posts, read 2,254,048 times
Why didn't he just run them over? The law says you can use lethal force to protect yourself or a 3rd person. Someone tried to rob me 4 years ago on Rankin rd. I got in my car and put it in gear and made 2 circles around the station trying to run over him. A sheriff watched this and went after him.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:19 PM

34 posts, read 94,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.roper View Post
Why didn't he just run them over? The law says you can use lethal force to protect yourself or a 3rd person. Someone tried to rob me 4 years ago on Rankin rd. I got in my car and put it in gear and made 2 circles around the station trying to run over him. A sheriff watched this and went after him.
I would've enjoyed watching that guy running from your car haha. That's what i like about Houston,u can REALLY defend yourself and you wont get in trouble like other states that pretend you sit there and let people break in to your house,carjack you etc...

Old 10-04-2009, 08:50 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,707,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callo View Post
High crime is a byproduct of the city's "good ol boy" mentality.
BINGO! I would also like to say Zhang Fei proves once again why I consider Him/Her one of the smartest poster on this board.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:28 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,797,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.roper View Post
Clara Harris their ass!

Old 10-04-2009, 11:34 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,797,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Also don't mention how many homes have been torched over the past several weeks there in that glorified barrio, I mean, up and coming area. Now I'm going to respond to the OP with the usual, inner-looper catch-phrase of "crime happens everywhere!" and proceed to bury my head in the sand.
I don't think the Heights qualifies as up & coming, it is more like up and arrived.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:29 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,622,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
houston does not teach conflict deescalation and avoidance. a nice way of saying houston does not have the california apology
"im so sorry my stupid face got in the way of your swinging fist".
i love texas
a former houston resident
AMEN

That is a huge reason I can't wait to get out of Vegas nothing but excuses for people who can't seem to respect the rights of others. It just blows my mind!!!!!

Crime is everywhere and every city has its share of problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston