Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:52 PM

249 posts, read 561,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexan1 View Post
For what it's worth, I've lived in several states...CA, AZ, UT, MI, LA.

Part of the "draw" to Texas is that, frankly put, everything here is paid for. Streets are relatively clean, roads being constructed, not a lot of potholes etc.

The fact of the matter is, like it or not, govt needs money to function. What all the "smart" people of other states have figured out, apparently long before Texans, is that you can vote in bunch of legislators that consistently cut taxes every year (and/or allow people to not pay 'necessary' taxes to keep the infrastructure up). In so doing, though, you end up lacking in roads, have lots of unfilled potholes, dirty streets, etc. Govt getting too big you say? Well, don't let it grow without paying for it, just to leave the IOU to your kids. How many states are in the black ink? How many cities? The federal govt?

For those following this thread for reasons similar to my questions, in fact the neighborhoods I've been looking at are higher-end with low turnover. Thus perhaps the appraisals are indeed low because the neighborhoods don't sell a home often enough to legitimize raising taxes for everyone else in the neighborhood.

As to shirking...the definition of shirking is to avoid responsibility. We can argue all day about what shirking or responsibility is...but simply go look around Phoenix if you want to see what you get when you (the individual taxpayer) and/or big business (with tax breaks from local govt) gets when you don't pay for the infrastructure.

I'm a physician and don't have a problem paying taxes. To all you fighting to keep your taxes low just to be able to afford large houses/cars/trucks/boats that you otherwise wouldn't be able to afford if not for keeping your tax rate artificially low...suffice it to say you aren't maintaining the good country your forefathers left for you.
For all intents and purposes, the appraisal process is a legal proceeding. We have an adversarial legal system. That is, each side must represent their interests to the fullest extent possible in order for the system to work. In this case, HCAD wants the appraisal to go up, I want it to go down. It is their interest to show as much evidence as possible that it should go up, it is in mine to show evidence it should go down. If I come up with a better argument, I win, as it should be.

So, in a very real sense, fighting your tax appraisal is one of the most American things you can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 06:15 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,264,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erichtx View Post
Question: Is HCAD still using the excuse of a Foreclosure/Distress Sale when taxing property the first year? I purchased a property 2 years ago and paid $175K but was taxed on $212K AFTER my FORMAL Hearing the first year. It was"valued" at $249K. I took my HUD showing what was paid and that is what I was told that "Distress Sales" are excluded from the HUD value paid. When property goes into foreclosure, the value mysteriously artificially inflates and the banks no not dispute the new value as it is more for them to write off since they're selling at such a "loss". The current property I am looking to purchase is in a similar situation.
Did they REALLY do away with differentiating between a Sale vs. Distress Sale. In today's climate, a Sale is a Sale - regardless of the circumstances.
Yep! We had several foreclosures and when hubby went to protest the only ones that counted were the non foreclosure non short sale homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: