Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:03 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times

Advertisements

Nope, none, sorry. Alief is a total ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 12:21 PM

300 posts, read 1,849,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
Everyone seems to think that Alief is ghetto. Are there any gated communities/suburbs in Alief that might be safer?
Alief is ghetto? What does that mean? I thought the moderator asked people to use descriptive language instead of euphemisms. This is really getting old and bothersome.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:24 PM

627 posts, read 1,622,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneknowsmyname View Post
Alief is ghetto? What does that mean? I thought the moderator asked people to use descriptive language instead of euphemisms. This is really getting old and bothersome.
Just do two things:

1) Look at the post right above yours.

2) Do a search for the word "Alief" on this board and almost every seems to suggest people to stay away from it.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:45 PM

300 posts, read 1,849,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
Just do two things:

1) Look at the post right above yours.

2) Do a search for the word "Alief" on this board and almost every seems to suggest people to stay away from it.

I believe that the post directly above mine is intended to be sarcastic. I don't need to do a search for the work "Alief" to discover that many people suggest staying away from it. That's not my point. If people including you think Alief is place to avoid, you should describe and be specific what about it makes it a place to avoid and continue to rely euphemistic shortcut that is not descriptive and is offensive. Or is that too much to ask?

Old 05-09-2007, 12:47 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,502 times
We wanted a great community near downtown, but outside the loop and chose Fall Creek. We really like the area. There are lots of kids here and the new elementary school will be opening in Fall Creek in 2008. The new high school and middle school are going in just down the beltway as well (across from Summerwood). FC is in the process of puting in a second pool too. The area is very up and coming. Check out homes on HAR.com and enter Zip Code 77396. Or check out their site at FallCreekHouston dot com. ~K~

Old 05-09-2007, 01:35 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
alief is big and *diverse* and like anywhere and everwhere in houston there are slum areas, 20-30 year old "deed restricted" blah communities that are down the drain. you can name any popular section in houston i'm sure another can name the slum area near it. this is just houston housing market. it plainly blows chunks, so dont buy for investment profits
A few undeniable things about alief (currently) 1.schools in general suck except for that college prep HS according to reviews. Schools near my place look good tho. the 'average student' is just dumb i guess. one thing is that I dont see asians in these schools so i'm not sure where they go.
2. Its in the southwest, a lot of older cheaper neighborhoods and apartments here which drawn katrina refugees, and rural folks from everywhere. building of new strip malls is quite active that older simpler strip malls are getting vacated (like the housing situation) for the cooler looking ones. 3.it's a chinese-hispanic non-gangsta ghetto, my kind of ghetto, outside of my community walls 4. Alief doesnt have trendy large scale cookiecutter home/subdivisions yet. maybe later alief will be better known as Bear/Woody/Lake/Pepper/<tree type>/<mammal>/<rock type>/<body of water> . 5. right now its just chinatown

my small gated community is #4, Highstar Landing subd which is a bit better,newer than Highstar subd.(neighboring sudb you can see on google maps)
http://tremonthomes.com/communitymap.html (broken link)
which should really be alot closer to the tollway than pictured.
http://tremonthomes.com/drivingdirections/highstarlanding.html (broken link)

theres a lot of other new and small communities, all quite nice looking ones. I'd stay away from anything below 160K or anything near one. and dont bother with south of beechnut. i think my house has a good floor layout for a cookie cutter model (see 'The Wellington'). Both my sisters and 3 friends who visited now wants the open floor design/high ceiling when they saw mine. kitchen and laundry areas are small tho. i'm also liking the small lawn since i started mowing
i think any good place near north and south eldrige/westpark will have the same commute time as me. you should also take a look at places north of westpark. they have upscale and average neighborhoods there with better schools and better shopping - but farther to chinatown (huge factor for me since I love international food) and busier streets

FYI, i'm not saying this is the best community or best commute. just responding to one question

Last edited by Wysiwyg; 05-09-2007 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: added map

Old 05-09-2007, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 9,710 times
Default Try Summerwood

You can also try Summerwood in Humble, It is right off the beltway. They have a variety of different types of homes, new construction as well as older homes

http://www.summerwoodonline.com/

Old 05-16-2007, 10:44 PM

19 posts, read 88,152 times
Pearland to downtown will take about 20 minutes during moderate traffic. 30+ during rushhour going and coming.

I'm a realtor in the Pearland/Houston area and really enjoy Pearland. My fiance works in the downtown area and doesnt mind the commute as much as his friends who live in clearlake and katy.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:22 AM

5 posts, read 45,730 times
The Clear Lake and League City area is a straight shot down the Gulf Freeway from downtown. Drive times in the afternoon are 30-40 minutes if you leave before 4:30. Mornings aren't too bad either. It all depends on when you leave. This area features great school districts (Clear Creek and Friendswood) so it may be an area for you to consider.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:58 AM

16 posts, read 47,476 times
Oak Forest is a nice area near Ella & 43rd street just north of 610 & Ella
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston