Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:46 AM

354 posts, read 2,430,539 times

Advertisements

My husband and I closed on our first home back in July. We were required to pay 10 months worth of property taxes which equated to about $4800 after the builder paid his portion. Even though the "real taxes" haven't been assessed, my lender estimated what our taxes would be based on approved value (about $6012) and set that amount for our escrow. (Yes we did escrow...it was a lender requirement...but we did get a 3.8% interest rate) With that being said I have two questions:

1) We received our utility tax bill and it is about $500. We paid in about $1930 of that $4800 towards utility taxes at closing. Will this be refunded to us or will it stay in escrow. We haven't received the bills for School taxes (Katy ISD) or County taxes but I'm guessing we over paid those as well.

2) I've heard stories about escrow amounts increasing and I want to be prepared. Does anyone know what the average increase is? I know it's based on tax rates, but how frequently do they increase and by what percentage? I received an email from Katy ISD stating they would not be increasing taxes this school year.

Sorry so lengthy...but thanks for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 09:31 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,213,847 times
Be careful. The tax bill is NOT the same as the assessment. It is based on the assessment. Assessments are generally made before May so that you have a chance to protest them. If you bought new construction and did not close until July, it is entirely possible that the current tax bill is for the lot only and does NOT include the assessment for the structure. The tax system will definitely catch up with you next year and you might just get hit for that $1900 then. Read your tax bill carefully and check HCAD (or applicable county agency) online and see exactly what your taxes this year are covering. This will help you make future decisions when talking to your finance company or tax folks about the issue.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Be careful. The tax bill is NOT the same as the assessment. It is based on the assessment. Assessments are generally made before May so that you have a chance to protest them. If you bought new construction and did not close until July, it is entirely possible that the current tax bill is for the lot only and does NOT include the assessment for the structure. The tax system will definitely catch up with you next year and you might just get hit for that $1900 then. Read your tax bill carefully and check HCAD (or applicable county agency) online and see exactly what your taxes this year are covering. This will help you make future decisions when talking to your finance company or tax folks about the issue.
Thanks Poltracker. This I know. I know the tax bill is for the lot only. When the lender required 10 months worth of escrow, it was based on comparables within the neighborhood...about $501 a month, $6012 a year. Soooo we paid in 10 months plus we've been escrowing $501 since September ($7014 total).

So you're saying that next years tax bill will reflect the "improved" value, right? Which I'm guessing we should be prepared for since we are already escrowing taxes based on a estimate of what the taxes would be on an improved value. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:15 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
God 500/month in property taxes. I hope you have a very nice home in a very nice area that's worth 300k. God I hate property taxes in Texas.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:17 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynicholson77056 View Post
Thanks Poltracker. This I know. I know the tax bill is for the lot only. When the lender required 10 months worth of escrow, it was based on comparables within the neighborhood...about $501 a month, $6012 a year. Soooo we paid in 10 months plus we've been escrowing $501 since September ($7014 total).

So you're saying that next years tax bill will reflect the "improved" value, right? Which I'm guessing we should be prepared for since we are already escrowing taxes based on a estimate of what the taxes would be on an improved value. Correct me if I'm wrong.

At 7k I hope that's based on land and structure. If not you better be sitting down when you get your mortgage letter about next years taxes.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
at 7k i hope that's based on land and structure. If not you better be sitting down when you get your mortgage letter about next years taxes.
Lmao! I know right!

Old 10-26-2009, 06:13 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
At 7k I hope that's based on land and structure. If not you better be sitting down when you get your mortgage letter about next years taxes.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:11 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,462,974 times
School taxes also get me going. Both of My Sons went to private Schools, yet I have been paying School Taxes for more than 20 years. Way before they were ever born. Makes no sense to me.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:09 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,297 times
Well, Texas could drop the property tax rate, and start taxing our income at the state level, and also put a sales tax on food. How's that sound? One way or another, the state has to generate sufficent income, and Texas does it through property taxes, I don't like it anymore than the next guy, but I love the fact that we have no state income tax.

Thankfully land tax apprasal value is typcially well under it's marketable value. For instance a building lot in Spring near the woodlands may be taxed at a 12,000 dollar value, but recently sold on the market for 45,000.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:32 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,462,974 times
Or, they could learn to spend only what we give them. We live within budgets, so should our Government. Our Govenments often act like a teen aged Kid at the mall, with Moms credit card. "Don't buy, what you can't pay for." How simple is that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston