Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:42 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,379 times

Advertisements

big hair!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 01:43 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,484,326 times
[quote=John C. H.;11358217]
Quote:
What bad rap are you talking about? What major US size the size of Houston doesn't have issues?
Oh I totally agree, big cities do. I just noticed in a lot of threads people complain about Houston alot and that is what I meant by a "bad rap". That is why I started this thread, to have people list the positive, because I personally think Houston is an incredible place.

Another thing I like about Houston is the close proximity to a beach

When in doubt read the TOS.

Last edited by Chickrae; 10-27-2009 at 11:41 AM..

Old 10-27-2009, 04:13 AM

161 posts, read 474,362 times
I love the blue, blue sky, the great supermarkets, the friendly people, the swimming pools, the lush flora...

Not so keen on the gun culture, the aggressive drivers and the bugs.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:11 AM

I love all the restaurants. Try a new one every time I visit. I have to say I love that Jack in the Box is there also..........we don't have one in our state.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:04 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
there has always been work here. --the weather in the summer, sucks. The Skeeters are bad. The water smells funny. --But my Friends all live here, and it's home. But if we lived in Paradise, where would we go for vacations? I have traveled quite a bit, and have yet to meet a person with plans to come to Houston for a Vacation.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
there has always been work here. --the weather in the summer, sucks. The Skeeters are bad. The water smells funny. --But my Friends all live here, and it's home. But if we lived in Paradise, where would we go for vacations? I have traveled quite a bit, and have yet to meet a person with plans to come to Houston for a Vacation.
But what do you like about living in Houston...family and work that is there?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:40 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
But if we lived in Paradise, where would we go for vacations? I have traveled quite a bit, and have yet to meet a person with plans to come to Houston for a Vacation.
haha good point,

I live here because my family lives here and there are engineering jobs.
And I will probably still live here after I graduate. Because the job opportunity is so much better here than anywhere else.
But, of course if people could afford to move somewhere else they would.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:43 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
But what do you like about living in Houston...family and work that is there?
I'm not sure there is all that much I really like, to be perfectly honest, other than we have great people here. And that may be because it takes a special kind of person to live here. My folks moved us here in 54, because there was work. But we never had AC. So miserable summers are ingrained in my memories. Many sleepless nights, and damp sheets. Trying to stay cool, by running my arms on the metal bed frame, to try to cool down. My Sons and myself, love the outdoors. But we are forced to Hibernate in the Summer here. I remember when they were Younger, and I would take them to the Parks and playgrounds. The Playground equipment would be so hot, they couldn't use it. the Skeeters are so bad, they couldn't play outside. --so to me, Houston is a good place to work, and to support My family. and not much more. I don't do bars, and care little for fancy food. I have simple needs. I have seen all the Museums, more times than I can count. (they have AC). I use to look forward to Our festivals, which I was involved in. but sadly, they are no more. When I do get anytime away from work, I head for the Hill country, as fast as I can. --Clean water, clean air, with low humidity, and no skeeters. Houston would be Great, it were just located somewhere else.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:21 AM

851 posts, read 3,626,809 times
Low cost of living; low house price; I love the gun culture; fishing, hunting and outdoor sports in long winter, fall and spring; very good food around here.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:23 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Affordable space to call my own.

Culture that encourages reasonable & necessary defense of said space.

A decent dose of "live & let live" + fiscal conservatism. Enjoying this while it lasts.

Good food options found in just about every established & reasonably diverse area in the entire metro.

AC, t-shirts & shorts in the winter... on some days, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston