Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:35 AM

433 posts, read 1,930,435 times

Advertisements

So I'm from Chicago. Love snow. Love winter.

However, I am used to having plants that hibernate. WHat am I supposed to be doing right now as it snows on all of my plants? I do not know the names of everything I have so I'm a pretty pitiful southern gardener. I know we have a lime, mandarin, papaya (oops I think that is already dead), bananas, different types of palms, a really beautiful tall bush that has white fragrant flowers that reminds me of Hawaii (already dropped all its leaves), some hibiscus type bushes, and lots more.

What am I supposed to do??? Also what do I do with my pool?? It is NOT covered and we dont have a heater.

Love you guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 10:47 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama View Post
So I'm from Chicago. Love snow. Love winter.

However, I am used to having plants that hibernate. WHat am I supposed to be doing right now as it snows on all of my plants? I do not know the names of everything I have so I'm a pretty pitiful southern gardener. I know we have a lime, mandarin, papaya (oops I think that is already dead), bananas, different types of palms, a really beautiful tall bush that has white fragrant flowers that reminds me of Hawaii (already dropped all its leaves), some hibiscus type bushes, and lots more.

What am I supposed to do??? Also what do I do with my pool?? It is NOT covered and we dont have a heater.

Love you guys!

You can cover the plants you are concerned about, The pool will be just fine, the only concerns I'd have with the pool are the pipes that are above ground. I'd turn the pool pumps off (make sure a timer won't turn them back on, then open the cleanouts up (debris basket, etc.) and let the water drain down. You don't want any pipes under pressure. Also make sure the exterior of your house doesn't have any exposed water pipe.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:48 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,997,680 times
careful. neighbors might think youre a party pooper

Old 12-04-2009, 11:07 AM

135 posts, read 566,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
You can cover the plants you are concerned about, The pool will be just fine, the only concerns I'd have with the pool are the pipes that are above ground. I'd turn the pool pumps off (make sure a timer won't turn them back on, then open the cleanouts up (debris basket, etc.) and let the water drain down. You don't want any pipes under pressure. Also make sure the exterior of your house doesn't have any exposed water pipe.

I would re-think that advice. It's best to leave the pump on and the water flowing in our climate. Keeps circulating that warmer water from the pool through the equipment. Even pool manufacturers include a freeze protection function on pool automation systems that turns everything on when below some set temperature.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:30 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Make sure you set your timers to run the pumps during the night while it freezes. Never turn the pumps off! Yikes. Wrap or at least cover any exposed PVC pipes.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:40 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
You should ensure the PH value of the water is between 7.2 & 7.6 and adjust using dry acid or soda ash as required. Shock dose your water with chlorine to give a level of 6 - 10 ppm and add a winterising fluid or long life algicide, running the pump for 6-8 hours to ensure the chlorine is well mixed. If using chlorine granules, ensure none are left settled on the bottom as they can bleach a pool liner over the winter. To protect the pool from the effects of ice, half fill some empty chlorine containers and float them on the pool water so they are semi-submerged.
If you don't have a system fitted with a Frost Stat (so if the temperature drops below freezing, your pump will switch on automatically) then drain the pool water level to about 6 inches below the level of the skimmers (this will allow for rain water over the winter months) then disconnect your pump from the electrical supply, remove the drain plugs from the pump and the filter units and ensure all items are drained.

Winter Care of Your Swimming Pool (http://ezinearticles.com/?Winter-Care-of-Your-Swimming-Pool&id=1754964 - broken link)

Old 12-04-2009, 12:49 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
In order for your pool to be ready for the next season, you have to apply some last chemicals to the water to preserve it for the winter.

Add a winterizing chemical kit from to the pool water. They typically already contain a shock, algacide and a sequestering agent.
Absolutely necessary is a chemical shock treatment to avoid any algae growth on warm winter days. A small dose of algaecide is also helpful to stop algaes from growing in early spring.

All hoses and detachable tubes should be detached from pool vacuums, the filter devices and the skimmer. To be thored, they need to be completely dry so that when in storage, residual water doesn't freeze - that could cause avoidable tears and cracks.

Your pool filter should have a "winterize" setting. Make sure that the switch it is set to that position and also remove the drainage cap or plug so that any water can exit the filter while it is not in use. If water remains and freezes, it might cause cracks in the base - and you certainly do not want this to happen.

Are you sure you have done everything necessary to prepare your pool for the winter?
Make sure you go through is step-by-step check list once again:
  • Turn off the heater.
  • Adjust the water to the appropriate pH value using your usual chemicals.
  • Make sure that you brush and vacuum the pool carefully.
  • Shock the pool water using an a winterizing kit.
  • Make sure that a long lasting algaecide is part of your winterizing kit, if not: add it separately to the water.
  • Clean out and disconnect the pump and skimmer baskets and the pool filter.
  • Add a pool antifreezer to the skimmer and the return tubes.
  • Collect up any accessories and store them away at a dry and warm place.
.. and here is more about it: Should I drain an outdoor pool or keep it full of water during winter? | The Outdoors Living Blog

Old 12-04-2009, 02:01 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,464,661 times
Cover your plants with cloth, not plastic.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:02 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Drain too much water out of your pool in this town and you're just asking for trouble and a HUGE repair bill.

POP!

Old 12-04-2009, 02:14 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,438,293 times
You only really need to cover tropical plants/palms, etc. Most shrubs are hardy enough to not mind getting frozen a little bit.

As for the pool, if you are concerned, run the pump during the freezing period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: