U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:29 AM

15 posts, read 56,240 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

we are moving to Houston and my wife will take some courses at the Rice/UofH and I will be working downtown. So we are quite confused whether we should buy a house in Katy or sugarland. ALso, we have 3 kids all in elementary so what would you guys suggest to us, as good schools is also an important concern.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 12:41 AM

12,671 posts, read 21,955,159 times
Katy is excellent for schools. Sugar Land is just overated and overpriced in my opinion.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:14 AM

5,429 posts, read 13,695,085 times
Distance-wise, Sugar Land is slightly closer to those locations. About 20 miles to downtown Houston... slightly less to Rice U.
Katy is more like 25+ miles... or more if you're in the newer parts of it west of the Grand Pkwy.
There are a few areas of Sugar Land that in my opinion are a little overpriced, but overall Sugar Land is not what I'd consider overpriced. Or overrated... all of that zoning and attention to aesthetics, tree-planting, abundant parks etc. is a breath of fresh air compared to most other parts of the Houston metro. It's an incorporated city with a pretty good corporate base and economy, so many people who live in Sugar Land also work in Sugar Land. There's a small UH campus out here as well.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:44 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,605,861 times
Personally I think both areas are very good options. Depends just a bit on your priorities. The commute is probably slightly longer from Katy, although due to normal traffic issues on 59 it might not be really that much longer. From Katy we have two options to choose from for heading downtown, I-10 (normal OR tollway) and the Westpark Tollway. That means when you wake up and see a wreck on one of those you can just as easily take the other.

We looked in both areas and would up choosing Katy because we just couldn't find the house we wanted in areas zoned to the better schools in Sugar Land. You can get more/newer house for your money in Katy than in Sugar Land, that's for sure. But I do like BOTH areas.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:50 PM

3 posts, read 11,009 times
Commute time difference is negligible (I agree that Katy has more route options than Sugar Land: I-10, I-10 tollway, Westpark Tollway, Metro runs express to downtown from two locations). We need to know your priorities...what else matters aside from commute times?

Old 10-30-2009, 06:26 PM

3,567 posts, read 4,275,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avma21 View Post
Hi there,

we are moving to Houston and my wife will take some courses at the Rice/UofH and I will be working downtown. So we are quite confused whether we should buy a house in Katy or sugarland. ALso, we have 3 kids all in elementary so what would you guys suggest to us, as good schools is also an important concern.

Like he already said, is there anything else that's important to you? I like Katy better, but it all depends on your needs. Maybe you can tell us more about it. Since I-10 has 5 lanes now, I would think you would get to U of H a little faster than on 59.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:41 PM

13 posts, read 17,783 times
Quote:
Hi there,

I would suggest Pearland. Especially, the West side of it.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:46 PM

4,753 posts, read 12,808,345 times
Either one. I live in Sugar Land and I don't think it is overrated or overpriced...I think the house prices are reasonable here. In Katy, they are even more so because you can get a newer house for the same amount of money.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:57 AM

15 posts, read 56,240 times
Quote:
Hi there,

HI thanks to everyone for replying and offering suggestions... Katy sounds like a good option but definitely it is a difficult choice to make vis-a vis sugarland...
nonetheless, I am wondering if there could be an option of living in proximit of either of the universities. My wife kind of prefers atleast one of us to be closer to home. Suppose if we live in Katy or sugarland both will be driving east for about 30 mins to an hour depending on the traffic, while our kids will be at a school in sugarland/ katy depending on our reisdence. I mean we all will be in different directions... so, if we live near the universities then atleast my wife will have the flexibility to take care of the kids if and when the need arises. I hope what i have written makes sense.
So please give your best suggestions if you think this is a good idea. and if it is feasible. I am also considering the option of putting the kids in private schools, if the schools near the universities are not too good.
thanks to everyone for sparing your precious time to reply to my query..

Old 11-03-2009, 10:58 AM

9,274 posts, read 24,414,218 times
Katy

Meyerland and private schools if you want to live close to the universites. But it can be pricey for a small house. But, like said before, it all has to do with your priorites.

Close, small/old house, little commute, ease of dining and errand running,ease of making quick trips to the school or home mid-day, home early in the evening.. for a bigger price tag

or

Big, new,cheap, long commute,always driving everywhere,traffic, impossible to make mid-day trips home, home later in the evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston