Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 12:31 PM

54 posts, read 96,876 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am a single professional woman with two children (a daughter, 16, and a son, 10) and I have been considering a move to Houston. I currently work for Chase Bank here in Indy and I know that Chase Bank has a huge presence in Houston. I have applied for several positions in the Houston metro area so if offered a job, I wouldn't have to worry about relocation costs. I do have a few questions about the city though. I have been reading a few threads and I see that the heat and traffic seem to be two of the biggest topics. I live in a city where I experience all 4 seasons and I really don't care for the winter months nor the snow that it brings. I would like to live somewhat close to the downtown area but in a safe neighborhood. I don't have a concern about demographics: it doesn't matter to me about living among different races (I am African American BTW) but I would like to live in a safe area where my children can be free enough to ride their bikes or go & visit with friends without worrying about being harmed. I would prefer to rent for the first year or two, and schools are also a factor for me; I would like my children to attend good quality schools with positive feedback from parents about the school system. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 12:56 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,044,559 times
The biggest issue here would be price range. You won't have too much of a problem if you are open to a large payment. It will get tricky if you have a very modest budget.

What do you consider too hot? It does get burning hot here for a couple months.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
The biggest issue here would be price range. You won't have too much of a problem if you are open to a large payment. It will get tricky if you have a very modest budget.

What do you consider too hot? It does get burning hot here for a couple months.

Thanks for the reponse City Love. I would be very open to a large payment. Actually I don't have too much of a problem with heat, just the humidity. I have read on previous posts that the humidity is 'unbearable' but we have had days here in Indy that have been extremely humid, but I'm sure that Houston's humidity is on another level...lol! I would find some ways to keep myself cool; I'm pretty positive that I could deal with it. It's the winter months & cold that I can barely deal with.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:13 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,514,621 times
I have worked in Indy......why would you want to leave? You have 4 seasons, beautiful scenery, nice people, mild summers, Indian summers. If I had a choice I would live in Indy over Houston. I would recommend a visit before considering a move.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:32 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,848,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyTee73 View Post
Hello everyone! I am a single professional woman with two children (a daughter, 16, and a son, 10) and I have been considering a move to Houston. I currently work for Chase Bank here in Indy and I know that Chase Bank has a huge presence in Houston. I have applied for several positions in the Houston metro area so if offered a job, I wouldn't have to worry about relocation costs. I do have a few questions about the city though. I have been reading a few threads and I see that the heat and traffic seem to be two of the biggest topics. I live in a city where I experience all 4 seasons and I really don't care for the winter months nor the snow that it brings. I would like to live somewhat close to the downtown area but in a safe neighborhood. I don't have a concern about demographics: it doesn't matter to me about living among different races (I am African American BTW) but I would like to live in a safe area where my children can be free enough to ride their bikes or go & visit with friends without worrying about being harmed. I would prefer to rent for the first year or two, and schools are also a factor for me; I would like my children to attend good quality schools with positive feedback from parents about the school system. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Gotta tell us more. But that would be something the suburbs offer.. Where did you apply?

Old 10-31-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
I have worked in Indy......why would you want to leave? You have 4 seasons, beautiful scenery, nice people, mild summers, Indian summers. If I had a choice I would live in Indy over Houston. I would recommend a visit before considering a move.

I definitely plan on visiting before making a move, so I can get somewhat of a feel of the city. I just don't like it here at all. I have plenty of family here, whom I know I would miss, and I have friends here but I don't consider them 'close' friends. I feel that a move would be good for me. I have only lived in one city my entire life and I would like to experience another part of the United States, and not say "I was born here, raised here, and died here". Some people may be content with that, but I'm not. There are a lot of people I know who love Indy, but I'm just not one of them.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Gotta tell us more. But that would be something the suburbs offer.. Where did you apply?

I would prefer the suburbs as far as where I want to live, but I would like an area that is no more than possibly 30 to 45 minutes away from downtown. All the positions I applied to are in the DT Houston area. I think I read somewhere on this forum that some areas within the loop are pretty good but I'm not sure if that's true or not. I am interested in the city of Baytown and the Cypress-Fairbanks area but I would need to do more research.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:22 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,848,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyTee73 View Post
I would prefer the suburbs as far as where I want to live, but I would like an area that is no more than possibly 30 to 45 minutes away from downtown. All the positions I applied to are in the DT Houston area. I think I read somewhere on this forum that some areas within the loop are pretty good but I'm not sure if that's true or not. I am interested in the city of Baytown and the Cypress-Fairbanks area but I would need to do more research.
Ok. You have two children and I don't know how much you want to spend on rent, and I don't think you will find a decent school inside the loop ( other than private). The apartments inside the loop would probably run you about 1800 - 2000 bucks a month for a 3 bed room apartment (again, depending on what you like, but you want to live in a safe area). I wouldn't consider Cypress.. the traffic on 290 is just so bad, it's not funny. Used to live there - never again!

Sugar Land, Katy, The Woodlands, perhaps even Friendswood/Clear Lake area.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:20 AM

687 posts, read 2,123,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Ok. You have two children and I don't know how much you want to spend on rent, and I don't think you will find a decent school inside the loop ( other than private).
public school options inside the loop (for the 10yr old):
Lanier Elementary is a Vanguard school. Very competitive to get in, but if the 10-yr old qualifies, Lanier would offer an academically stimulating environment, and very high parent/teacher support.

West University Elementary students regularly score highest of all the public elementary kids in Houston on standardized tests.

Roberts Elementary School near the Texas Medical Center is also well-regarded, and is a magnet school for languages I think. Many nationalities represented there, as the children's parents are researchers who work at the med ctr, and came from all over the world.

high school options inside the loop (for the 16 year old):
Lamar High School and Bellaire High School both offer International Baccalaureate high school degrees. Students at both may earn up to 26 credits, applicable to placing out of first year of college (if they pass the tests). Both of these high schools graduate significant numbers of National Merit Finalists and Semi Finalists every year. Bellaire also offers the AP program.

Come visit Houston and get a feel for it, and see what you think. It can get hot and humid, but I'd say that it's certainly NOT unbearable, as the more than 2 million residents of the City can probably attest to. And of course, it doesn't last. Weather is mild, for significant portions of the year. Wonderful if you enjoy gardening and being outdoors.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:32 AM

2,540 posts, read 4,033,478 times
I love the SW part of town: Meyerland area, including Maplewood, Willowbend, Westbury. There's a wide range of price points, also a wide range of school quality, so you need to do your research and be sure you are zoned to good schools. You can be downtown in 30 minutes, in the Galleria in 10 minutes. In my neighborhood kids ride their bikes around unsupervised, there are lots of soccer leagues, scouting, swim teams. Plus a nice mix of people, in terms of color, religious beliefs, politics, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston