Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 09:45 AM

159 posts, read 565,854 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I live in a pretty populous subdivision in Sugar Land, the Highlands. There are a ton of kids on my street.

So needless to say, I was shocked that on Halloween, we only had 4 rings of our doorbell (only 3 said trick or treat, one just held out their bag and grunted).

I know times have changed, but we live in a very family friendly neighborhood. Any ideas? Is there something I don't know about? This is my first Halloween in Sugar Land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 09:56 AM

809 posts, read 3,569,575 times
That is strange.

Did you have your outside lights on so people know you are participating? People usually know not to knock on the door if the house is dark.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:59 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
I had 8 bags of candy and ran out in 1 1/2 hrs. They came in by the car loads. I think yours were all at my house!

Old 11-02-2009, 10:07 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I had 8 bags of candy and ran out in 1 1/2 hrs. They came in by the car loads. I think yours were all at my house!
LOL!!! Then they drove to Dallas to my neighborhood.

I was wondering how it would be this year being it was on a Saturday with BEAUTIFUL weather and a lot of outdoor Fall Festivals going on in the area for people to take their kids/family to and do that instead of the normal "trick or treat" thing. Seems the Fall Festivals going on where packed and then being time change day they took advantage and hit the streets to do some trick-or-treating. Our neighborhood has a "picnic" for the residents with pizza, costume contests for the kids and such. Then the neighbors all sit out on the front sidewalk and hand out candy as the kids from the party parade thru the neighborhood. They start early so after that HUGE group is done there are rarely any more neighborhood kids/families out doing the trick-or-treating. It is the others that show up by the bus loads that come after 7:30-9:00.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:23 AM

410 posts, read 1,495,150 times
Maybe because of H1N1.......

Old 11-02-2009, 10:23 AM

159 posts, read 565,854 times
We did have our lights on, but there were a lot of others in the neighborhood that did not. I know Sugar Land had a big Town Center festival, so maybe they were all there! Oh well, at least I have two big bags of candy left!

Old 11-02-2009, 10:26 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
My cousin lives in Meadows Place. He said the town was kind of putting up a united front as they are sick of all the people coming from other areas running on their lawns, sitting on their furniture, smoking weed near their houses etc. There were blocks of houses with lights off and chairs in front of their doors. Perhaps more neighborhoods are doing this. Barrington Place was completely empty and seemed to be doing the same thing.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:32 AM

809 posts, read 3,569,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanewidick View Post
We did have our lights on, but there were a lot of others in the neighborhood that did not. I know Sugar Land had a big Town Center festival, so maybe they were all there! Oh well, at least I have two big bags of candy left!
Well, maybe they looked down your street and saw so many with lights off, that they skipped the street.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:59 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Shelby, I actually went to another subdivision this year with my kids... friends of theirs were having a small party. Anyhow, when I was leaving at around 5 (very early), there was pickup truck with half a dozen moms driving through while their kids (of all ages) hauled a$$ through the neighborhood. I was cracking up. They probably had those kids trick or treating til midnight... still can't figure out why anyone would want that much candy.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:02 AM

169 posts, read 799,122 times
We live in New Territory, and in our particular subdivision we have a lot of party poopers who do not give out candy (but have no issues sending their own kids out trick-or-treating). Maybe 1 out of every 8 houses gives out candy. Last year I bought 24 lbs of candy and didn't even give out 4 lbs of it. Barely any kids at all. This year I purchased 10 lbs of candy or so, and it was all gone within an hour. I had to turn my lights off. My boss who lives in another section of NT went through 8 cauldrons of candy - he said they still had kids until 9:40 pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston