Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:33 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,692,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Geeez, he did not push for anything. He jsut wants the right to be who he is. How shocking
What he is happens to be a STUDENT in a SCHOOL that is there to EDUCATE the student body. He is a STUDENT that had to have signed the handbook that he understood the rules in which the school is run and will abide by them or face the consequences. He is now facing the consequences of not abiding by the rules.

He IS "pushing" for something. Like I said, what if every other student pushed for their "right" to be "who they are" and that could be someone that wants 2 hours for lunch or wants a longer time between classes. Or wants to sleep in and can't make it to school on time. Or wants to dress up in a full clowns suit for school because they just "feel like being a clown". The school is not there to provide an open opportunity for every single student to satisfy their whims. It is there to EDUCATE them. I know, how shocking that some of us actually think we send our kids to get an education

Old 11-04-2009, 11:41 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,454,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Geeez, he did not push for anything. He just wanted the right to be who he is. How shocking
He mostly certainly is pushing for something ... a change of rules to suit his fashion sense.

He has the right to be who he is, and nobody is suggesting he change that. It's simply a matter of following the rules. I'm not allowed to wear a mohawk, ripped jeans, or sexually suggestive clothing to work - should I protest those rules to my employer on the grounds that they aren't allowing me to be who I am?

Old 11-04-2009, 12:21 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,444,980 times
It took me awhile to come to the understanding, that our Clothing, like our tools, are part of "the Job." --Once we get out of school, or off from work, we are free to do as we please. But we are part of a Team, at school, and at work. We need to look professional at either. While in School, we are preparing to enter the job force. We need to get with the program early, or be prepared to wash windshields at the corner.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:00 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,784,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
It took me awhile to come to the understanding, that our Clothing, like our tools, are part of "the Job." --Once we get out of school, or off from work, we are free to do as we please. But we are part of a Team, at school, and at work. We need to look professional at either. While in School, we are preparing to enter the job force. We need to get with the program early, or be prepared to wash windshields at the corner.
Well said

Old 11-04-2009, 01:01 PM

181 posts, read 847,556 times
Wait...I'm confused now. People are saying he should have known the dress code, followed the rules, etc. But what rule did he break? Is NOBODY allowed to wear a dress and heels to school? If a girl had leukemia or lupus, nobody would question her right to wear a wig either. Non-bizarre wigs are totally appropriate for girls to wear. My own cousin wears a wig in school because she suffered some hair loss from a medical condition.

That is what is different between this case and the case of somebody eating lunch for 2 hours or wearing a clown suit - NOBODY is allowed to wear clown suits or eat 2 hour lunches at school. However, some people can wear dresses or wigs if they feel like it - it's just being applied unfairly to this person because people are uncomfortable that it's a biological male. I really don't see how people don't get this distinction.....

As to "playing on a team," that's fine, but again the rules should apply equally to everyone. If everyone has to wear a robe, fine, that's the rule, and screw anybody who wants to get special treatment. BUT...(and this is the whole key) if SOME people can wear one kind of uniform then everyone should get that right. It's about equality. I personally would have no trouble with saying that EVERYONE, men and women, have to shave their heads and wear simple monk attire while in public school. But I have a huge problem saying that girls have to wear X and guys have to wear Y - the state cannot tell you what you are, it goes to the fundamental identity of a person that only they can decide. When you start making distinctions and saying only certain people we deem fit can wear this and the others have to wear this other thing, the state is enforcing gender norms and punishing people who step outside the socially acceptable gender roles, which is not the state's job. Apply the rules equally regardless of immutable characteristics (sex, gender, race) or don't apply them at all.

If people are bothered by it, shouldn't we put the burden on the people bothered and not the person exercising their equality? If students were bothered or distracted by a black football player dating a white cheerleader, should they be kicked out until they stop dating? Again - if the rule were "no dating, for anyone, ever" then that's fine. But if some people can date, everyone should be allowed to date whoever they choose. What if students were distracted by a kid with cerebral palsy and all the medical devices he has to use at school? Should we just kick him out, segregate him from everyone else?

Last edited by radiodude84; 11-04-2009 at 01:12 PM..

Old 11-04-2009, 01:12 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,579,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
If a girl had leukemia or lupus, nobody would question her right to wear a wig either. Non-bizarre wigs are totally appropriate for girls to wear. My own cousin wears a wig in school because she suffered some hair loss from a medical condition.
So are you saying this guy has a disease, ailment, medical condition, etc?

I wouldn't ever guess someone on his side would make such an analogy.

In the past that has been grounds for nearly starting a war.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:16 PM

181 posts, read 847,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
So are you saying this guy has a disease, ailment, medical condition, etc?

I wouldn't ever guess someone on his side would make such an analogy.

In the past that has been grounds for nearly starting a war.
Nope, wasn't saying it, just pointing out that it's okay for girls to wear wigs to make themselves feel more comfortable. Lupus and diseases happen to be the most common reason girls feel compelled to do that, so I used that example, but it's not the only reason.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:18 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,444,980 times
No rules are perfect. And those that are proven to be bad, can be changed. But once a rule is in place, go along with it. If you find it troubling, or unacceptable, then set about getting it changed. --Rules were put into place to help the masses have some guidlines to go by. They can't cover every possibility, especially when it comes to children. ---It might be interesting, to let the Kid cross dress, then grade him on his fashion sense. Hahahah---sorry, but kids do make me laugh.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:18 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,692,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
No rules are perfect. And those that are proven to be bad, can be changed. But once a rule is in place, go along with it. If you find it troubling, or unacceptable, then set about getting it changed. --Rules were put into place to help the masses have some guidlines to go by. They can't cover every possibility, especially when it comes to children. ---It might be interesting, to let the Kid cross dress, then grade him on his fashion sense. Hahahah---sorry, but kids do make me laugh.
True. There are rules for a reason. This guy choses to put what he wears to school above the reason why he is IN school in the first place.

The handbooks for dresscode usually DO specify what exactly boys can and can not wear and what girls can and can not wear. He KNEW the rules for being a "boy" when he signed the form that most schools send home that a student AND their parent(s) understand those rules and will abide by them. What he is wearing IS a distraction. He IS violating the school dresscode and he flat out knows it. He is pushing the envelope. Some day he might look back and see this as trivial and meaningless. That day might be when he finds himself at the age of 40 still pushing a broom as he didn't take the reason for being in school seriously.

Trying to compare this guy to a person that is suffering from a terminal illness or medical condition is low. Those people can not help what they have been dealt and are trying their best to even be able to get up in the mornings much less be able to stay on track in school. They have the right to actually have someone come to their house instead of them getting up and getting ready to go off to the school campus. I'd be more interested in fighting for these students to have the right to dress in sweats or shorts (sometimes not allowed at school) than this guy. There was a girl somewhere around here that got in trouble at school for wearing navy sweatpants which was the required color of pants because she could not undo the pants to use the restroom. She had been severly injuried in an accident and the school told her too bad that she HAD to wear the required pants and they could just have someone go into the bathroom w/ her to undo her pants and then pull them up and zip and button them for her . THAT makes me mad. This guy........ he can lump it or find a school that doesn't specify what exactly a male student can and can not wear.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:33 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,053,880 times
This is why kids are forced into uniforms. Instead of following simple rules; someone has to go overboard and ruin it for everyone else.

You set yourself up for humiliation and rejection when you do things like this. He can wear all that stuff once school is over, but in school he needs to dress normal and quit trying to fight the dress code on this because they will probably end up implementing uniforms.

Now the school is going to have to go in and modify their dress code policies. "Boys are not allowed to wear dresses, wigs or heels".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston