Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 03:22 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,733 times

Advertisements

Also, maybe someone you know (or some of the posters here on C-D) might have hotel stay points (that you earn via credit card purchases) they can donate and put you up for a night or two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 08:17 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,997,198 times
How about Park and Rides, 24hr McD/Whataburger, trucks stops, 290 and Beltway(?)

Old 11-03-2009, 09:20 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
for a Country that can spend Billions shooting junk at Mars, we should not have able bodied Citizens in a position to be potentially homeless. We can do better.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:39 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
for a Country that can spend Billions shooting junk at Mars, we should not have able bodied Citizens in a position to be potentially homeless. We can do better.
But able bodied citiznes can always find work in Houston. They might be cleaning houses, mowing lawns, or washing cars....but anyone who is able bodied can make money to buy shelter & food.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:41 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,997,198 times
I thought the YMCA gives temporary shelters

Old 11-03-2009, 09:57 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
We are doing better. Earlier posters have suggested churches and/or charities set up for specifically these types of emergencies. I guess it's all how you look at it.

That doesn't mean I am for throwing chunks of metal at distant orbs for exorbitant amounts of money, just saying that while the OP's life may be less than pleasant for a couple weeks while he relies on the largess of others, he isn't screwed.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
I thought the YMCA gives temporary shelters
they charge more than a cheap motel

Old 11-04-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
But able bodied citiznes can always find work in Houston. They might be cleaning houses, mowing lawns, or washing cars....but anyone who is able bodied can make money to buy shelter & food.
I know seveal that have found no work in months. and they try every day. Where are these jobs you speak of? I will pass on the info.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:44 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,379 times
Quote:
I know seveal that have found no work in months. and they try every day. Where are these jobs you speak of? I will pass on the info.
If someone is willing to work day labor jobs at competitive prices, they can find anywhere I'd think. For example in my area, good house keepers are always in high demand. The make 70-125 dollars a day, paid in cash....no taxes (shhhhh!), and easy access to Metro bus stops.

Lawn mowers charge around 35 per lawn. If I was a man & almost hungry I'd get my hands on an old mower & edger from a pawn shop. I'd charge people 20 bucks a lawn to get new business, mow 5 lawns a day to earn 100 bucks.

Same thing with washing cars, get a sponge, bucket of soapy water & offer a great price. Wash cars & pay for some kind of shelter & food.

That's what I mean by saying able bodied people shouldn't be homeless or hungry in the city of Houston. You can make money doing hard labor here. It's why people cross the border, we have labor jobs to be filled.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
If someone is willing to work day labor jobs at competitive prices, they can find anywhere I'd think. For example in my area, good house keepers are always in high demand. The make 70-125 dollars a day, paid in cash....no taxes (shhhhh!), and easy access to Metro bus stops.

Lawn mowers charge around 35 per lawn. If I was a man & almost hungry I'd get my hands on an old mower & edger from a pawn shop. I'd charge people 20 bucks a lawn to get new business, mow 5 lawns a day to earn 100 bucks.

Same thing with washing cars, get a sponge, bucket of soapy water & offer a great price. Wash cars & pay for some kind of shelter & food.

That's what I mean by saying able bodied people shouldn't be homeless or hungry in the city of Houston. You can make money doing hard labor here. It's why people cross the border, we have labor jobs to be filled.
I do admire your gumption. and in theory you are correct. The problem is the sheer numbers of unemployed Folks on the streets already. There are already guys pushing lawn mowers down the street. And guys with shopping carts, with buckets and soap to wash cars, boats, or anything else. One Guy I know doing that, had his equipment stolen, while he slept next to it, under the I-10 Freeway. It's not like it was when I was homeless in the early 80s. Guys will come to blows, over the left over fried chicken, in the Churches dumpster. ---I would pay guys to pick up street trash, at intersections and the like, by the pound, if I were able. ---I really feel that unless someone has been forced into this life style, they really don't know what is like, to go for days with out a good nights sleep, and a good meal. One gets even more disorientated, and alienated from society, with each passing day. It becomes harder to "come back" as time passes. No one is truly prepared to be thrust into that situation. --We become overwhelmed with self doubt, and lose our feelings of self worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston