Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:18 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Weather in paradise:

March - Good grief, are we already having 80 degree days? We went from the 60s to the 80s seemingly overnight. Where is spring? I'd love to be outside, but there is all this yellow pollen covering everything that won't let me breathe without an inhaler.

April - Since the humidity has matched the temps, I'm sweating through my T shirts. Better go to the beach for a refreshing swim now before the water reaches 85 degrees as well. Eating outside in the evening is nice . . . as long as I have citronella candles to chase away the mosquitoes.

May - It's heeeeer! Hot and humid days, so I'm taking the show indoors. I'm afraid of my AC bill.

June - I was right to be afraid of my AC bill. And now it's going to get worse. Sure looks inviting outside. Wish I could enjoy being out there but "sweat-fest" is in full force. At least we have cable to entertain us. And all the bugs have come inside to keep us company.

July - OMG - I just returned from the store! The car seat was soooo hot when I got back in and sat on it. Ouch - so was the steering wheel! Hope the ice cream doesn't melt before I get home.

August - When is this going to end? 95 degrees and unbearable humidity!!! Please don't make me cut the grass, honey! I'm a sticky mess after being outside only 5 minutes. And my AC bill!!

September - I'm so depressed. I just talked to my friends up north who are enjoying football under a crisp sun at 70 degrees. I went to the game yesterday, but no way was I going to tailgate. Get me inside that domed stadium ASAP! Even the evenings are still sticky.

October - It's supposed to be cool, right? The leaves are supposed to turn colors, right? The sun is supposed to stop beating down on me, right? Then why is it still in the 90's? I'd give anything to wear a light-weight jacket. And what's with all this ragweed - thank goodness for my inhaler!

November - What a relief it is! It's so nice to finally be able to go outside again. Too bad daylight saving time is over and it's dark when I get home from work.

December - Let's turn up the AC so we can light a fire and get in the holiday spirit!!! "In the meadow we can build a snowman" . . . well, we can sing about it.

January - Why is it so dark, damp, cool and rainy?

February - Hey, it's nice outside! Too bad this month only has 28 days. Maybe I can make a deal with my higher power: "I'll do anything if you can keep March from rolling around again!

Ain't life in paradise grand!!
Considering that only a small fraction of the entire world sees fall color in October (if at all), no, it's not supposed to be that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 12:20 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,923,775 times
Quote:
Weather in paradise:

March - Good grief, are we already having 80 degree days? We went from the 60s to the 80s seemingly overnight. Where is spring? I'd love to be outside, but there is all this yellow pollen covering everything that won't let me breathe without an inhaler.

April - Since the humidity has matched the temps, I'm sweating through my T shirts. Better go to the beach for a refreshing swim now before the water reaches 85 degrees as well. Eating outside in the evening is nice . . . as long as I have citronella candles to chase away the mosquitoes.

May - It's heeeeer! Hot and humid days, so I'm taking the show indoors. I'm afraid of my AC bill.

June - I was right to be afraid of my AC bill. And now it's going to get worse. Sure looks inviting outside. Wish I could enjoy being out there but "sweat-fest" is in full force. At least we have cable to entertain us. And all the bugs have come inside to keep us company.

July - OMG - I just returned from the store! The car seat was soooo hot when I got back in and sat on it. Ouch - so was the steering wheel! Hope the ice cream doesn't melt before I get home.

August - When is this going to end? 95 degrees and unbearable humidity!!! Please don't make me cut the grass, honey! I'm a sticky mess after being outside only 5 minutes. And my AC bill!!

September - I'm so depressed. I just talked to my friends up north who are enjoying football under a crisp sun at 70 degrees. I went to the game yesterday, but no way was I going to tailgate. Get me inside that domed stadium ASAP! Even the evenings are still sticky.

October - It's supposed to be cool, right? The leaves are supposed to turn colors, right? The sun is supposed to stop beating down on me, right? Then why is it still in the 90's? I'd give anything to wear a light-weight jacket. And what's with all this ragweed - thank goodness for my inhaler!

November - What a relief it is! It's so nice to finally be able to go outside again. Too bad daylight saving time is over and it's dark when I get home from work.

December - Let's turn up the AC so we can light a fire and get in the holiday spirit!!! "In the meadow we can build a snowman" . . . well, we can sing about it.

February - Hey, it's nice outside! Too bad this month only has 28 days. Maybe I can make a deal with my higher power: "I'll do anything if you can keep March from rolling around again!

Yes it is. You get all the beauty of the tropics during the warm season in Houston, complete with exciting summer thunderstorms in conjunction with the decent Gulf breeze (April to October), then, during the cool season (November to March), you rest on laurels, and enjoy crisp sunny days with mild temps, while large parts of the country deal with hefty snowstorms, winter precip, and deep freezes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
My definition of paradise is not limited to what I posted. I don't have the time or the inclination to write a whole essay on it. And yes, NYC can be considered paradise to some (not me), skyscraper paradise. I wouldn't argue with that. One final question and I'm done addressing your posts. Do you know anyone else who would describe Houston as paradise? Based on conjecture alone, I would wager that the vast majority, even extreme boosters (with you as an exception), would not use paradise as a definition of Houston. Hey, this is all opinion...but if there was a poll, I'd win in a landslide. Eden? LOL. Now we're really reaching. You sound like a person who needs to travel the world a little more. Naivety is a blessing, I guess.
I've been to many subtropical regions around the world, from North India, to East Asia, to eastern Australia, and I still say that Houston is a subtropical Eden, as is the rest of the Coastal South. Just because I feel this way doesn't mean I lack experience with other parts of the world. In fact, I'd say that I am probably more well traveled than you are; you speak like someone who hasn't been outside of the US, as have a lot of critics of Houston's climate and scenery.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 10-21-2015 at 12:31 PM..

Old 10-21-2015, 01:33 PM

1,011 posts, read 976,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Yes it is. You get all the beauty of the tropics during the warm season in Houston, complete with exciting summer thunderstorms in conjunction with the decent Gulf breeze (April to October), then, during the cool season (November to March), you rest on laurels, and enjoy crisp sunny days with mild temps, while large parts of the country deal with hefty snowstorms, winter precip, and deep freezes.

I've been to many subtropical regions around the world, from North India, to East Asia, to eastern Australia, and I still say that Houston is a subtropical Eden, as is the rest of the Coastal South. Just because I feel this way doesn't mean I lack experience with other parts of the world. In fact, I'd say that I am probably more well traveled than you are; you speak like someone who hasn't been outside of the US, as have a lot of critics of Houston's climate and scenery.
First, you should look up when to use "in fact."

Second, I'm not arguing that Houston isn't subtropical. Paradise does not necessarily need to be subtropical, or even tropical for that matter.

Third, good for you for feeling Houston is paradise. It's just your opinion and probably not the vast majority. In fact (see how I used it there), I'm a bit envious that you think you bask in Eden everyday.

Fourth, you never even answered the question.

Last edited by 3shipguy; 10-21-2015 at 02:33 PM..

Old 10-21-2015, 03:13 PM

30 posts, read 44,376 times
Quote:
Weather in paradise:

OK, as much as I think this is intended to make me regret my move choice, here's the version for my neck of the woods:

March: Spring is on the 21st! Too bad there's still 2 feet of snow. At least the temp only dips below 0F some nights.

April: Mud and black flies: what a combo!

May: OK, so May is pretty nice...black flies have turned to mosquitos, though

June: What, we have humidity too? Sadly, only a select few have AC...

July: Northeast hot, humid weather with occasional relief from a cold front.

August: See July

September: Phew, a nice day...then a summer day. Kids in school can't concentrate because there is no AC

October: OK, second half of September was perfect, and the first half of October too. Then, the grey cold and hard wind: first frost and maybe first snow!

November: The month of glorious fall is a memory and the word "raw" comes to mind. The occasional beautiful day is just a tease. Wet, sloppy snow 3-4 times

December: Sun goes down at 4. 4! First big snow: at least a foot. Drop below 0 at night 5 times.

January: Ungodly cold. Full days where the thermometer never cracks 0. My furnace runs 24hours for days. I spend $1000 for heating oil.

February: See January

So we've got May, most of September, half of October and periodic beauty during the summer. Every region has its plusses and minuses.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
First, you should look up when to use "in fact."

Second, I'm not arguing that Houston isn't subtropical. Paradise does not necessarily need to be subtropical, or even tropical for that matter.

Third, good for you for feeling Houston is paradise. It's just your opinion and probably not the vast majority. In fact (see how I used it there), I'm a bit envious that you think you bask in Eden everyday.

Fourth, you never even answered the question.
I am not alone; I know plenty of people who see Houston, and the rest of the coastal Southeast, as paradise, all due to the profuse growth of large varieties of beautiful flora, the coastal setting, and the general desirable climate, which is the best of both worlds; all the tropical allure captured during summer, and nice, refreshingly mild winters akin to what is seen in the Med.

Even if the majority of people do not hold the same opinion as I do, a lot of that would be due to negative stereotypes about the city having been beaten into the minds of many in dogmatic fashion for quite some time, rather then anything that Houston is actually lacking in.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:28 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Yep, I would certainly describe the Coastal South as "paradise", simply because it comes closest to my preferred climate and there's nowhere else in the world I'd rather spend the rest of my life. Though, I do think Houston is in a less ideal location than, say, Mobile or Destin.

If the built environment of Houston were more attractive, it would be easier to sell it as a center of luxury. Miami is a swamp, too, but few people would question it being referred to as paradise.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:38 AM

1,011 posts, read 976,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Yep, I would certainly describe the Coastal South as "paradise", simply because it comes closest to my preferred climate and there's nowhere else in the world I'd rather spend the rest of my life. Though, I do think Houston is in a less ideal location than, say, Mobile or Destin.

If the built environment of Houston were more attractive, it would be easier to sell it as a center of luxury. Miami is a swamp, too, but few people would question it being referred to as paradise.
I would consider Destin paradise, it being on the coastal south. Houston does not belong on that list. I don't even consider it on the coast, let alone drop dead gorgeous.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post

Fair enough on your first point; those two cities are close to some very beautiful, blinding white sand beaches compared to Houston. Your second point is dead on.

Quote:
I would consider Destin paradise, it being on the coastal south. Houston does not belong on that list. I don't even consider it on the coast, let alone drop dead gorgeous.
Houston is on the Gulf Coast; not directly on the waterfront of the Gulf, but still on the general land that is within reasonable distance from the ocean to be considered "coastal."

I consider both Houston and Destin subtropical paradises, albeit in slightly different ways, along with places like Charleston, Savannah, New Orleans, etc. You have to understand that the murkiness that is presently seen in Galveston's waters today is actually not the natural state; it was due to human influence.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:35 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,864 times
Quote:
Weather in paradise:

LOL truer words were never spoken

Old 10-22-2015, 06:47 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
LOL truer words were never spoken
Thanks. Seems like several Houston posters don't have a sense of humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston