Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 02:51 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,503 times

Advertisements

We just built a new Gehan home (Kennedy floorplan) in Cedar Park, just northwest of Austin, and we are VERY pleased with it. Granted, it is over $100K more than your budget of $175K, but it is a very solidly-and beautifully-built house. That comes from two friends who build for other expensive companies - their framework and electrical were right on target, and the City of Cedar Park does a tremendous number of inspections, all of which were passed with only minor issues. The other builders in our development are David Weekley and Wilshire, and Gehan is definitely holding their own with those other builders! Gehan may not offer as many customized options as the other two builders, but they don't kill you on price for the options they do offer either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 12:01 AM

9 posts, read 62,527 times
We own a Kurk Home and love it! Started the build in April 2009 and was moved in Oct 2009. We did buy our land separate and first. And to build a custom home for originally stated price would be very hard press to do. I wish you luck though. But if you happen to go a different route I would totally say to use Kurk homes. Also on the web page there is avalible homes. Maybe check that because the land is included iirc. But happy shopping for a new home. It is very exciting.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:57 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
Gehan is a production builder not a custom builder and not a great one at that.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:45 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,936,841 times
In the northeastern US sometimes a custom builder is less expensive than a production builder, (because you aren't paying a subdivision premium) so that might be what your friend was thinking of. But not so here in TX, the land of cheap houses with tiny yards. The only custom homes I've seen have been in the 400K+ range.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,541 times
Sadly, we are DesignTech (Design Tech) owners (my wife and I), and I HOPE when you hear the name DesignTech, you run!

We had nothing but problems with them during and after the home was built. If we had not been just a couple of miles away checking on the process during the building phase, this house would have been a nightmare today.

If anyone would like to speak to me about all the issues we had during our building process, please email to tropicwhisper@yahoo.com.

BTW, I will be creating a Website devoted to DesignTech to get the word out. Additionally, I just paid nearly 10-thousand dollars to have our 3-year old master bath room demolished and rebuilt due to poor plumbing which cause major water damage and black mole in the walls. It had been leaking from day one.

This is not a joke. And, I’m extremely serious about the problems we (others) have had with DesignTech. Email me…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston