U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 02:11 PM

33 posts, read 132,232 times

Advertisements

I've heard that tax rates in Fort Bend Co are lower than in Harris County -- is this true? I'm having trouble tax information online. The FC Appraisal district website only shows home value and and not the amount of taxes paid/owed.

Also, how much (% wise) does homesteading drop your taxes? And how much lower can I expect the appraisal district's value to be than the price I actually pay? Any info would be great!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 02:23 PM

2,843 posts, read 4,684,304 times
isn't katy in fort bend co? You must be talking about the "Katy area" since you say its in harris co.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:25 PM

9,274 posts, read 24,414,218 times
East side of Katy is in Harris County, in fact some areas are actually Houston just west of the Dam. Harris County rates tend to be lower most of the time, and there's no mud tax. The newer the MPC, usually the higher the taxes.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:13 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,074,435 times
Parts of Katy are in Waller County, Harris county and Ft Bend county. The three counties meet in darn near in the center of Katy proper which makes it real easy to identify when looking at a large map with only Houston labeled - like an online weather map.

And no, the homestead exemption doesn't lower your taxes very much. In my case roughly 10% lower.

When I insured my car and home, my insurance agent said that it was fortunate that I was in Ft Bend Co, because their rates were higher for Harris Co.

This mapquest map shows the outline of the 3 counties. Notice that Katy is indeed seated at the juncture of the 3. Waller county is labeled. Ft Bend is, of course, the area south of the center of Katy, and Harris to the east.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=katy&state=TX

Old 11-11-2009, 04:39 PM

169 posts, read 750,718 times
Fort Bend has lower property taxes and lower insurance rates in general (home, auto, etc.). Your insurance agent should be able to tell you the primary differences.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:53 PM

5,684 posts, read 9,787,333 times
Fort Bend Katy is the nicer area (this is where Cinco Ranch, Grand Lakes, Seven Meadows, Firethorne, and Woodcreek Reserve are located). Harris County Katy is the other half of South Katy. The neighborhoods tend to be older (mostly 1980s). Kelliwood and vicinity is the nicer part within Harris County Katy.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:55 AM

1,408 posts, read 3,725,845 times
If you are looking for a newer home, pay close attention to the MUD taxes. The Houston area does not have a flat rate for each county. You can have 2 neighborhoods in Katy, and they will each have a different tax rate.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:00 AM

12 posts, read 41,430 times
Ditto City love, each neighborhood can be different, even two neighborhoods next to each other can have a different rate or MUD taxes. If you are looking in Harris county, you can find the tax rate by going to www.hcad.org and put in a specific address and check the tax rate. Fort Bend, go to http://www.fbcad.org/Appraisal/PublicAccess/. There is a link to tax rats on the left, but you will get rates for all areas of Fort Bend. Auto insurance is cheaper in Fort Bend than Harris. Homesteading will drop what you pay by 10-12%.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:10 PM

182 posts, read 318,680 times
Anybody want to add for which part of Katy is better? The Consensus seems to me that Fort is better. I'm still learning a lot about these type of things, but if Houston ever annexed Katy what would happen to Cinco? Isn't it part of two counties?

edit: I see....A city can be part of more than one county.

Last edited by JohnnyDA; 01-27-2011 at 12:32 PM..

Old 09-21-2011, 01:46 PM

171 posts, read 379,976 times
Just drive through the area on Mason Road and you will know which one is nicer. The scenery dramatically changes at the Fort Bend County line. Even small things like traffic lights are nicer than those lights on wires Harris County uses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston