Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:20 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times

Advertisements

Subway in Houston = manmade creek. Light rail - joke - at least for now - rail to nowhere. Yes in that video the drivers were all in the wrong for the most part. However, I think that the light rail is not marked or blocked sufficiently for people who are new to Houston, rarely venture into the city or on streets with a rail, and visitors. The video should have shown the times that the rail runs the red lights - those are the ones that concern me. Happens quite often - I see it downtown a lot. Or that the turning lanes in the med center are actually on the rail tracks - confusing for med center visitors who come from all over the world. There is one intersection on San Jacinto that does not have crossing arms (whereas I've seem them at the other intersections) and people stop at the light and depending upon traffic, unwittingly end up stopped over the tracks ... where are those arms??

Not thought out in terms of the human factor and that has to be a huge consideration in any planning because humans are imperfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 12:25 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,462,974 times
We needed a qiuck draw for the super Bowl is at it was.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:02 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,363 times
Well it's apparent folks, that drivers are too stupid for light rail.

I guess a transportation system should only be as good as it's worst driver...

I guess cars are perfect.

http://www.lightrailnow.org/features/f_hou_2005-01.htm

Last edited by theSUBlime; 11-21-2009 at 01:45 PM..

Old 11-21-2009, 01:23 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post

The tunnels flooded during Allison and some people were killed when they took the elevators down into underground parking lots and tunnels that night. the doors opened and they drowned. It is too costly and not feasible to run undergrounds here. I know I wouldnt want to be underground in a train during a gully washer like Allison....yikes thats scary!
The pumps failed and ended up letting water in, which was the only time it has ever happened. There are plenty of subways and other underground tunnels in low lying places in Asia and Western Europe (think about the Dutch). Nothing is 100% full proof but subways can certainly be built in Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
If Our Freeways already hold water during a Storm, what would tunnels, that are even lower hold---our attention?
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Subway in Houston = manmade creek. Light rail - joke - at least for now - rail to nowhere. Yes in that video the drivers were all in the wrong for the most part. However, I think that the light rail is not marked or blocked sufficiently for people who are new to Houston, rarely venture into the city or on streets with a rail, and visitors. The video should have shown the times that the rail runs the red lights - those are the ones that concern me. Happens quite often - I see it downtown a lot. Or that the turning lanes in the med center are actually on the rail tracks - confusing for med center visitors who come from all over the world. There is one intersection on San Jacinto that does not have crossing arms (whereas I've seem them at the other intersections) and people stop at the light and depending upon traffic, unwittingly end up stopped over the tracks ... where are those arms??

Not thought out in terms of the human factor and that has to be a huge consideration in any planning because humans are imperfect.
Subways in Houston = uneconomical because of our low density population. Not sure why people think subways can't be done in Houston, engineering subways in areas such as Houston is entirely feasible.

Why is light rail a joke? It has exceeded all expectations in a mere 2 years so maybe you can elaborate on that.

The only way you crash into the Metro Rail is by being an irresponsible driver. I've never seen a rail car "run a red light" and at except for intersections, the rail is separated from street traffic (the rail runs on its own ROW for a large majority of its length). Furthermore, it is clearly marked where you should/shouldn't turn and has red lights at street level to indicate when a train is coming so the driver knows not to be an idiot and run a red light.

For how Houston has been developed and how much it costs to build elevated rail, would it really be worth it to build a line 2-4 times more expensive and have near the same amount of riders?

Quote:
We needed a qiuck draw for the super Bowl is at it was.
Then what is the draw for expanding our light rail?

Quote:
Sorry, I don't remember asking your opinion. You are free to read my posts, or pass on them. but I make up my own mind on what I say, or when I say it. Have a nice day.
Unfortunately, in most internet forums anyone with a pulse can post whatever they think. When someone posts something that is "ignorant or shortsighted" I am going to give my opinion in order that people may be educated and not given false ideas. You are entitled to your opinion, but you haven't provided any facts back to up.

Last edited by dv1033; 11-21-2009 at 01:34 PM..

Old 11-21-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
The pumps failed and ended up letting water in, which was the only time it has ever happened. There are plenty of subways and other underground tunnels in low lying places in Asia and Western Europe (think about the Dutch). Nothing is 100% full proof but subways can certainly be built in Houston.

See above.

Subways in Houston = uneconomical because of our low density population. Not sure why people think subways can't be done in Houston, engineering subways in areas such as Houston is entirely feasible.

Why is light rail a joke? It has exceeded all expectations in a mere 2 years so maybe you can elaborate on that.

The only way you crash into the Metro Rail is by being an irresponsible driver. I've never seen a rail car "run a red light" and at except for intersections, the rail is separated from street traffic (the rail runs on its own ROW for a large majority of its length). Furthermore, it is clearly marked where you should/shouldn't turn and has red lights at street level to indicate when a train is coming so the driver knows not to be an idiot and run a red light.

For how Houston has been developed and how much it costs to build elevated rail, would it really be worth it to build a line 2-4 times more expensive and have near the same amount of riders?

Then what is the draw for expanding our light rail?

Unfortunately, in most internet forums anyone with a pulse can post whatever they think. When someone posts something that is ignorant or incorrect I am going to give my opinion in order that people may be educated and not given false ideas.
And I would fight to defend your right to do exactly that. Speak your mind. But also allowing others that same respect shows good manners. I question topics, and make comments, but I try to not attack the poster, or to question his intelligence, or his motives. That is to personal, since I don't know the person.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:25 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,288,426 times
I think the pumps failed do to the large amounts of water. It was over extended.
Light rail is the way to go due to costs. It was hard enough to get this built...no way you could get a subway project approved.
The mass transit or bullet trains have been propsed for the last 30 years to connect dallas and Austin and/or Galveston....rarely gets past the talking stage. If it takes the Texas Legislature to do something positive then you've got a long wait! They only meet every two years and rarely get anything done that concerns most Texans.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:41 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Quote:
And I would fight to defend your right to do exactly that. Speak your mind. But also allowing others that same respect shows good manners. I question topics, and make comments, but I try to not attack the poster, or to question his intelligence, or his motives. That is to personal, since I don't know the person.
Then why do you continue to refer to the light rail as "toy train", seems rather childish for someone who advocates the virtues of manners and respect. Why not refer to it as what it is called, instead of trying to belittle it?

I am not questioning your general intelligence, but rather your knowledge of the light rail and mass transit in general. You have given no real facts to why it is a "toy train". I question your motives because you have repeatedly made the same comments using the "toy train" reference.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:31 PM

whatever .... I have seen a rail run a light and hit a car that was crossing the intersection with a green light downtown....it happens but perhaps it just hasn't happened on your watch but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I've also been at a turning lane in the med center, had a right light as I was making a left into the O'Quinn Tower and had the irresponsible rail driver behind me on the tracks (which is where the turning lane is -- on the tracks and I had the okay light to get into that lane) laying on his horn in attempt to get me to "run" the light whereas I would have been hit by oncoming traffic and he would have gone on his merry way.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Well it's apparent folks, that drivers are too stupid for light rail.

I guess a transportation system should only be as good as it's worst driver...

I guess cars are perfect.

Houston Light Rail - Houston's Drivers Are Awful! - Houston motor vehicle accidents
My comments were that the rail is insufficiently marked for new drivers in Houston, visitors, etc. And what marking we have really blends in with all the other signage .... and missing crossing arms at some intersections.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Then why do you continue to refer to the light rail as "toy train", seems rather childish for someone who advocates the virtues of manners and respect. Why not refer to it as what it is called, instead of trying to belittle it?

I am not questioning your general intelligence, but rather your knowledge of the light rail and mass transit in general. You have given no real facts to why it is a "toy train". I question your motives because you have repeatedly made the same comments using the "toy train" reference.
don't take things so serious maybe. Am I callin you a toy train? You act like it is your personal toy train. ---As far as you questioning me about anything, why don't you just state your case and let the facts stand on their own merits. I'm not the topic here. I state my opinion, and am not required to school anyone with facts. this is not High school. And as I say, if that does not satify you, then please just pass on reading my posts. they were not meant for you in particular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston