Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 04:06 PM

16 posts, read 43,291 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to the Spring Branch area, East of Bingle and near Hammerly. Is this neighborhood going to gentrify since people are being priced out of the Loop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 04:12 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,295,425 times
absolutley!

Old 11-22-2009, 04:29 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,514,595 times
I think it's pretty much already well underway.

Sections zoned to Valley Oaks Elem. are desired now. That school has totally changed in the past 5 years.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:25 PM

What about Westbury and Glenbrook Valley? I hear a lot about them too. I'm looking for a hip neighborhood. I used to rent in Montrose until my four-plex was sold to build condos.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:15 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,839,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenakitty View Post
What about Westbury and Glenbrook Valley? I hear a lot about them too. I'm looking for a hip neighborhood. I used to rent in Montrose until my four-plex was sold to build condos.
So long as you're hip and...young-ish?

Houston Best Hidden Neighborhood - Glenbrook Valley - Best Of Houston - Houston Press

as for Westbury

Houston Best Hidden Neighborhood - Westbury - Best Of Houston - Houston Press

Both share certain similarities. The preferred sections are to the north, the southern sections tend to have a different character to them.

Westbury is farther along in the gentrification cycle (as is a lot of the Spring Branch areas) and closer to the Galleria. Glenbrook is much closer to downtown & midtown.

I don't know as many details on Westbury as obviously I do on Glenbrook, and I am far from unbiased. There are very few places (like Glenbrook) within a 10 minute radius of downtown where you can get a house on a 12,000 - 16,000 sq ft lot, with a custom built, non-cookie-cutter house, in an up & coming area for $50 to $70 a foot.

Also, the houses in Glenbrook are just more custom. They sit a lot farther apart and every one is different. If you go from one to the next to next, nothing is alike. You don't find that in a lot of areas.

Besides, any neighborhood who's civic club website quotes Hedda Hopper deserves bonus points. http://www.glenbrookvalley.org

It is also working on trying to become Texas' first post WWII Historic District. We have gotten a lot of support from Houston Mod and other preservation groups. The National Trust for Historic Preservation blogged about us.

PreservationNation » Blog Archive » JetModern: Mod at Home in Houston (http://blogs.nationaltrust.org/preservationnation/?p=6133 - broken link)

There is other info
Wright, Neutra and ... Al Beadle? - WSJ.com

The pics in this article are all from Glenbrook
http://www.houstonmod.org/downloads/...FuturePast.pdf

Real estate / Glenbrook Valley smacks of ‘Leave it to Beaver' / Neighborhood filled with many original homeowners 08/28/2008 | Archives | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

The Battle of Glenbrook 05/03/2007 | Archives | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

a footnote to that story
http://swamplot.com/glenbrook-valley...-20/#more-3574

There is also, of course, a facebook group for "Glenbrook Valley & friends".

Never a dull moment in the hood.

Last edited by modster; 11-22-2009 at 10:27 PM..

Old 11-23-2009, 09:35 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,295,425 times
Idylwood is another neighborhood trying very hard

Old 11-23-2009, 08:23 PM

Thank you so much modster, that was so much help!!

Old 11-26-2009, 06:31 AM

What are the actual boundaries of Glenbrook Valley? South of Bellfort is not looking that great.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:54 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,839,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenakitty View Post
What are the actual boundaries of Glenbrook Valley? South of Bellfort is not looking that great.
There is a definite dividing line with Bellfort. The houses north of Bellfort are larger & on larger lots and are more custom. The character of the neighborhood is different south. The southeast section is definitely the worst. I expect it to be the last part to pull up. I would just as soon not claim it. The other part (southwest) is not so bad, it looks a lot better than southeast anyway. It is still nowhere near as nice as north. That section has just recently started seeing more of the newer people moving in.

The northern part has been coming back for about 4 or 5 years now so it is farther along. It has a different look and character. From about the Colgate, De Leon section across Santa Elena, over along Glen Dell, Glen Valley and Glencrest down to Bellfort is the "good section."

Hopefully the positive trends in the southwest section will gain some more traction as the economy improves.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:02 AM

But it's 45, Reveille,Airport, and Monroe right? Some of the listings say Glenbrook, some of them say Pecan Villas, Meadowbrook Fwy, etc. but all located in the same boundaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston