Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2007, 03:50 PM

13 posts, read 83,074 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Houston to work near Rice University. I have been looking for homes near Rice Village--North up to the 59, West to Buffalo Speedway and South to Dorrington. I have had a hard time finding a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom place (that's not three stories, with second floor living) for under 400k. So I am looking to rent:

1. There are not many rentals within these areas that I found for under 2400. I can move down to a two bed,two bath for rentals, but still cannot find anything decent.

2. I am considering the Galleria area or Greenway plaza area. How are these areas in terms of walking around and crime (I have a one year old)?

3. Any other suggestions for something within 4-5 miles of Rice Village that is safe with stuff around to walk to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 04:33 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,796,562 times
To be honest with you, I think your expectations for the areas you have chosen are a little unrealistic. The area around Rice U is one of the most popular and expensive areas in Houston. If a 3/2.5/2 even came up in that area under $400k, not only would it be a real needle in a haystack, there would be some sort of issue with it probably. Decent 2 bedroom/1 baths are a find under $400,000 in that area.

As far as Greenway Plaza, you could get a 3/2/2 in Afton Oaks south of Richmond for that price point, but don't expect a lot of selection. Maybe a small house in Lynn Park, but it might be a 3/1 or at best a 3/2 with small bedrooms.

The Galleria is another expensive area. There are townhomes and such that are more affordable, but the new construction in St. George's Place is expensive, you aren't getting into Tanglewood for that. You can get into Larchmont, you might try looking there, but don't expect a larger home.

You are probably going to have to go outside the boundaries you had selected. Going north, try the Heights area, Timbergrove & Lazybrook. I would also go south of Braes Bayou into Knollwood Village, Linkwood, Woodside & Woodshire. All of these are good areas.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:35 PM

657 posts, read 2,535,476 times
You might want to consider west all the way to the loop. The area around Meyerland Plaza is nice. It might add 10 minutes to your commute, but it will give you a lot more potential homes.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:21 PM

12 posts, read 28,685 times
Walking around the Greenway Plaza area, especially at night is not great. The Galleria area is better, but still expensive. The Heights is better than Linkwood. Meyerland Plaza is okay - watch for flood prone areas near Braes Bayou though. Maplewood would be okay.

This is a tough one - the Rice Village area is very desirable, and expensive!

Old 10-17-2009, 03:49 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,153,138 times
I agree with Modsters suggestions. Timbergrove and Lazybrook are prett good neighborhoods with some walkability (big bike & hike trail along white oak) to groceries, etc. Definitely bikable to those attractions. Also easy access to the entertainment along Washington.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:59 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,781,939 times
Thread is two years old...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: