Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,606 times

Advertisements

I live in Southgate and moved here from California. Yes, the Texas property taxes are higher than California, but you get more house for your money and the dues in Southgate are a low of $200 yr. I can walk to the Town Centre from around our lake and there is no mud tax and the tax rate (2.71) is much lower than surrounding developments (Southfork; Southern Trails...). Overall, I love the area. The weather is too hot, but you can't have everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 04:53 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
I like West Oaks - a smaller community off of 518 and a nice way in so not sitting right on top of the 518/288 area -

Old 08-23-2011, 05:41 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcamp View Post
My wife and I decided to investigate the Pearland area for our next home purchase. I liked the close proximity of the area to Houston and there seemed to be an abundance of new subdivisions to choose from. We did a tour of the Shadow Creek Ranch (SCR) subdivision today and were very impressed by the homes and prices. When I got home however, I did some internet research and discovered the problem with the Blue Ridge Landfill and it's effect on the SCR subdivision. Really sad to read that because we really liked the area and the homes.

So, my question is where is a good place in Pearland to purchase a home in the $200+- range that doesn't have some problem that could negatively affect resale value down the road and that is safe from a crime standpoint?
With a budget of $200K, you can forget Shadow Creek Ranch and Sedona Lakes. There's nothing under $200K there worth the effort. I doubt Southern Trails will get you much for $200K either, but I'll leave that to TimandWendy. Also, the landfill "problem" is WAY overblown around here. I live about as close as you can get to the landfill in SCR, and it's not a resale problem until somebody is scared of by just the thought of it. We've had 12 move outs in 18 months in our section and not one was due to the landfill.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 08-23-2011, 06:09 PM

480 posts, read 1,698,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
With a budget of $200K, you can forget Shadow Creek Ranch and Sedona Lakes. There's nothing under $200K there worth the effort. I doubt Southern Trails will get you much for $200K either, but I'll leave that to TimandWendy. Also, the landfill "problem" is WAY overblown around here. I live about as close as you can get to the landfill in SCR, and it's not a resale problem until somebody is scared of by just the thought of it. We've had 12 move outs in 18 months in our section and not one was due to the landfill.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

You should check www.har.com There have been several homes in Southern Trails that have recently sold for under $200K, and only a few years ago they were purchased new for over $200K. Such is the times we live in.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:44 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
SNAP!!! Oops, I just took a look and the op on this was from November 2009 - dude and his wife have most likely already made their move somewhere.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:44 AM

68 posts, read 103,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
SNAP!!! Oops, I just took a look and the op on this was from November 2009 - dude and his wife have most likely already made their move somewhere.

Nah, we decided not to move. I was looking to move to a much newer and larger house for retirement but in the end, we decided to just stay put in our small, 40's/50's era house here in Bellaire.

Our decision not to move was, in the end, motivated by the fact that all our friends are close-by in the Bellaire/Meyerland area, we're very close to medical facilities, restaurants, etc., and we don't have to fight that 288 traffic to get places. It also helps that our present house, because of its small size is easy on the pocket book to heat & cool. I still may move one day but if so, it will more than likely be out of the Houston area altogether.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:57 AM

480 posts, read 1,698,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicotoscani View Post
What will happen to the Sand and Clay mining just south of Southern Trails in Pearland, TX after all the soil been taken out? Will this be another landfill just like the Blue Ridge of Shadow Creek Ranch? Or any other plan for this? Hope to hear from the experts.
Since this borders on Pearlands ETJ (extra-territorial jurisdiction), I am sure the city will take an active interest on what happens to this site. In fact, since I live in Southern Trails, I will make sure. The city of Pearland spent time and money negotiating with Blue Ridge a few years back, and I'm sure they don't want to do that again. I know that not only employees in the City Planning dept. but also some city council members have developed a real 'watch-dog' mentality about this type of thing. Lessons learned.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:41 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicotoscani View Post
What will happen to the Sand and Clay mining just south of Southern Trails in Pearland, TX after all the soil been taken out? Will this be another landfill just like the Blue Ridge of Shadow Creek Ranch? Or any other plan for this? Hope to hear from the experts.
I got your land fill right here, Nico. LOL Don't you have anything better to do?

Ronnie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston