U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:58 AM

101 posts, read 248,558 times

Advertisements

We have been trying to decide b/w Dallas or Houston (safe suburbs of either).

We are still waiting on the job situation which may poss. be leaning towards the Houston area??? We'll see, pending the interviews.

We will rent a single-fam. home initially. That way if we do not like the area, we are not bound to a house. Once my husband finishes school we can choose another area more freely if we choose to due to the type of career he is going into.

We homeschool so schools are not an issue either, and we want to be able to find minority homeschoolers as well in the mix.

I have had much feedback regarding South Katy and Sugarland.They both seem pretty safe (high priority)from what I have read ( I will continue to research).

1) I have been told that Sugarland is much more diverse than S. Katy. Is S. Katy only moderately diverse? Obviously minorities are there, but proportionately does the no. of non-minorities greatly outweigh the minorities?

2) Is Sugarland near alot of bad areas? I keep hearing/reading that SW Houston has a high crime rate and if I understand correctly, SL is close to SWH?

3) The job may be on West Loop South.

Which city b/w the 2 would be a closer/better commute if either?

4) Is that a bad area (W. Loop South)? The job hrs. may go into the early morning hours, with the day ending in the early am ie: after 2 am.

Thanks so much for helping this out of state family!

Blessings,

musicmom
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 04:01 PM

657 posts, read 2,370,921 times
1)I think Sugar Land is most diverse when it comes to Asian/Asian-Indian residents. Next door Missouri City is diverse with more African Americans. Katy is more diverse on the north side, but there's some diversity in the south as well.

2) "Southwest" coves a lot of ground when you talk about Houston. I don't know the crime stats, but I get the feeling that some of the southwest crime spills over to Sugar Land. It's generally safe there, but you do hear about burglaries sometimes.

3)Sugar Land would be a shorter commute unless you use the Westpark Tollway from Katy.

4)West Loop South is around Bellaire and most of the area around the freeway is alright.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:15 PM

687 posts, read 1,975,468 times
If you can afford it, Meyerland is a super neighbhorhood (right by the west loop, south section), diverse, and lots of access to city services and activities. Maybe a 5-10 min drive for your spouse.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:21 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,711,235 times
^ I agree... if you're going to homeschool, you probably shouldn't limit yourself to the suburbs that people typically look at because of the good public schools. You can open up to many more choices if you don't plan to use the public schools.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:41 PM

101 posts, read 248,558 times
Default Thanks..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
If you can afford it, Meyerland is a super neighbhorhood (right by the west loop, south section), diverse, and lots of access to city services and activities. Maybe a 5-10 min drive for your spouse.
Remember, we want to rent initially. Meyerland would have to have enough inventory for us to choose from. We don't want to pay too high of a rent. I'd rather soak that money into my own home.

Is this a pretty safe neighborhood (Meyerland)? Is that considered SW Houston?

I just checked out some homes in Meyerland. This is an older neighborhood, the homes that I saw for rent were from the 1950's to the1990's. Will I find families with young kids in this neighborhood? My husband and I want to make sure we are not in a neighorhood dominated with empty nesters.

Thanks guys for the info. I will check into it further.

musicmom

Old 11-30-2009, 09:56 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,611,123 times
I personally wouldn't want to live in Meyerland...and I don't know statistics but simply due to proximity within Houston I wouldn't think it was quite as safe as Katy or Sugar Land. Certainly not as family focused as those suburbs.

Whoever keeps saying Sugar Land is more diverse than South Katy probably hasn't spent much time in South Katy lately. I don't know the statistics but it is far less "white" than some people seem to think. Lots and lots of Indian families around, followed closely by Chinese families. A solid percentage of well educated, professional African American and Hispanic families. If my neighborhood is any indication, it is not more than about 40-50% caucasion...if that. I get the impression that the newer the houses are, the more diverse it is. Just so many folks relocated with energy companies...not to mention all the doctors.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:21 PM

2,639 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Meyerland and Bellaire would top my list. yes they are older but closer . Lots of kids too!
SL and Katy have their share of crime, not just Houston proper.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:38 PM

687 posts, read 1,975,468 times
Meyerland is an older neighborhood, with beautiful trees and wide streets. There are many new constructions also. Crime isn't bad at all, and compares favorably with other areas. I get the crime updates, and it's mostly petty theft. No armed robberies in your driveway (like what happened in Sugar Land recently). The area is highly patrolled by the constables. Here's a link to the neighborhood association, which also offers a crime report for the entire city of houston. There is an elementary school, and a high school in Meyerland, so lots of kids for sure. There's diversity not only in race/ethnicity, but also in age (there's older/retired people as well as young families with kids), and religions.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:16 PM

10,218 posts, read 7,298,387 times
For what you are looking, I would go with Sugar Land ( a bit more expensive to live in that area generally) and would suggest you also look into Sienna Plantation.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:14 AM

3,704 posts, read 7,565,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
I personally wouldn't want to live in Meyerland...and I don't know statistics but simply due to proximity within Houston I wouldn't think it was quite as safe as Katy or Sugar Land. Certainly not as family focused as those suburbs.

Whoever keeps saying Sugar Land is more diverse than South Katy probably hasn't spent much time in South Katy lately. I don't know the statistics but it is far less "white" than some people seem to think. Lots and lots of Indian families around, followed closely by Chinese families. A solid percentage of well educated, professional African American and Hispanic families. If my neighborhood is any indication, it is not more than about 40-50% caucasion...if that. I get the impression that the newer the houses are, the more diverse it is. Just so many folks relocated with energy companies...not to mention all the doctors.
I agree with the points made above, I would pick Sugarland followed by Katy over Meyerland. As far a Katy's diverse population goes, it's a depends on what kind of diversity you're looking for.....ie; north Katy will be mostly whites, Hispanics, and blacks....south Katy will be mostly Whites, Asian, and Asian-Indian followed by a small dab of blacks and Hispanics.

All you have to do is check out the HEB store on North and South Fry rd....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston