Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:40 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times

Advertisements

Whenever it rains, people loose control of their cars over here on Memorial Drive, and end up in the brick walls around the neighborhoods...and we are just talking rain.

I have a running bet that 3 will bite the dust tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 12:29 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Suppose to be about three inches I heard around my school (Prairie View). Not bad.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:58 PM

912 posts, read 2,556,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MokaGrizzly View Post

Did you move to Houston for work? What do you do?

Cheers,
Natwest aren't known as 'Shatwest' for nothing Sorry to hear about your troubles with them although you may be comforted to know that at one point I owed them (as a business) nearly 100 grand which they took a settlement of 14 grand cash to clear. Made a nice little profit on that one.

Came to Houston to work from mainland Europe and work in the energy sector like everyone else. I plan to do a couple of years here and then leave. I don't regret the experience of coming here but Houston is probably the worst place I've ever lived in with regards to expense and quality of life. That's just my experience and despite that I enjoy every minute of living here- even the hot, sticky and humid ones.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:44 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Latest is that the problems for metro Houston will start mid-morning and last until about 6-8PM w/ snow/ice after noon. 2-4 inches predicted w/ isolated areas up to 6 inches (of snow that is). Gonna be a real nasty drive home for some folks.
For you northerners, remember they build streets in Houston to withstand floods not for icy conditions like they do up north. Different engineering means our streets are a bit more hazardous when they ice over. Keep that in mind and do not get overconfident on the icy streets and be sure to watch out for inexperienced southerners like me

Old 12-03-2009, 01:46 PM

Good advice there Poltracker I'll be sure to take even more care than I normally would in snow/ice.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:59 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
Natwest aren't known as 'Shatwest' for nothing Sorry to hear about your troubles with them although you may be comforted to know that at one point I owed them (as a business) nearly 100 grand which they took a settlement of 14 grand cash to clear. Made a nice little profit on that one.

Came to Houston to work from mainland Europe and work in the energy sector like everyone else. I plan to do a couple of years here and then leave. I don't regret the experience of coming here but Houston is probably the worst place I've ever lived in with regards to expense and quality of life. That's just my experience and despite that I enjoy every minute of living here- even the hot, sticky and humid ones.
lol. Well, you're from The U.K originally, and I don't think all the Europeans come to Houston to work in the energy sector. I know at least one who dosen't
So, what's better about the U.K compared to Houston? Can you explain this further?

Old 12-03-2009, 02:09 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Latest is that the problems for metro Houston will start mid-morning and last until about 6-8PM w/ snow/ice after noon. 2-4 inches predicted w/ isolated areas up to 6 inches (of snow that is). Gonna be a real nasty drive home for some folks.
For you northerners, remember they build streets in Houston to withstand floods not for icy conditions like they do up north. Different engineering means our streets are a bit more hazardous when they ice over. Keep that in mind and do not get overconfident on the icy streets and be sure to watch out for inexperienced southerners like me

there isn't a street on the planet that is safe to drive when ice is down..... doesn't matter where it is or how it was engineered.....

good luck y'all ..... and just remember..... it will only be for a day or 2..... i'm looking at 3-1/2 to 4 more months of this crap.......

Old 12-03-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
So, what's better about the U.K compared to Houston? Can you explain this further?
Off topic take it to PM and I'll enlighten you.

Last edited by Grunn; 12-03-2009 at 02:52 PM..

Old 12-03-2009, 03:04 PM

141 posts, read 292,978 times
If it really does snow, I know I'm going to be taking a bunch of pictures. I wish I had last year, but the snow didn't stick down where I am- except on the cars.

I never thought it would happen again, though. It'll be interesting to see how much we're getting. I wasn't here for the 2004 snow, because I was up north lol.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:09 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
You can't build streets to withstand icy conditions. It's nearly impossible if there's a glaze of ice over the road to drive.

Enjoy the snow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston