Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 06:08 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times

Advertisements

Snow was nice today. Definitely got involved in some snowball fights....like a little kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 06:23 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Sorry that you don't understand what global warming is, but you're not alone. Please see previous post.
My understanding of global warming is that if the average temperature goes down over the next million years, that's evidence of global warming. The scientific method requires that you strip out the outlying data, the statistical noise - i.e. all the data that don't conform to the thesis. This was how Newton discovered the Laws of Motion, by ignoring data points that did not agree with his thesis.

Last edited by Zhang Fei; 12-04-2009 at 06:32 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 06:28 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
My understanding of global warming is that if the average temperature goes down over the next million year, that's evidence of global warming. The scientific method requires that you strip out the outlying data, the statistical noise - i.e. all the data that don't conform to the thesis. This was how Newton discovered the Laws of Motion, by ignoring data points that did not agree with his thesis.
You might wanna look up "Greenhouse Gases" and who produces them and what they exactly do.

Sorry. Couldn't help it.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:35 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Your right, I tend not to understand fiction.
There are two schools of thought, one just gets more coverage than the other..or should I say more backing. Cha-ching baby.

I believe in conservation, working to keep the planet clean, and working on new energy methods. However, I really am not for getting rid of the entire human race, that "apparently" might affect minute amounts of temperature changes over centuries.

The planet has been in constant change since it's creation. I find it rather egocentric for "modern" man to think they can control it or have any clue of the true changes that have occured over millions of year.

But IMHO, the Little Ice Age Returnith. It never used to snow in Houston, in my or my parents lifetime...who really knows what happened 100's of years ago. There was that one day in the 80's, a flurry day in '92..but 3 times in 4 years. Enjoy. Longer Springs and faster approaching Falls.......gotta love it.

Stay warm people.
Regarding your "fiction" comment, what are your scientific credentials that would validate your comment? You listen to Rush Limbaugh and he says so? Or, have you reviewed the science yourself and come to your own conclusion? I would hope the latter.

Other than your opening comment, I share your concern about trying to control carbon emissions at the expense of the economy.

Regarding your snow comment, have you reviewed the last 120 years of so of snow data for Houston?

Old 12-04-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
My understanding of global warming is that if the average temperature goes down over the next million years, that's evidence of global warming. The scientific method requires that you strip out the outlying data, the statistical noise - i.e. all the data that don't conform to the thesis. This was how Newton discovered the Laws of Motion, by ignoring data points that did not agree with his thesis.
I think you might wanna do a little more research.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:54 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,573 times
I dont know what snow day y'all were having... but the snow I witnessed just landed and melted, then it turned into sludge and gunk.

It never really stuck to the ground, I honestly wanted to play outside, but I was very disappointed when I went outside.

But there still isn't a reason to quit work or school, people are just over reacting.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:12 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Keep on topic, Global warming is covered in the P&OC forums...

Old 12-04-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Keep on topic, Global warming is covered in the P&OC forums...
It's sort of on topic since a forumer related today's snow to the topic of global warming. But yes, it would be better addressed elsewhere. Sorry about that.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:28 PM

443 posts, read 1,793,054 times
Enjoyed seeing the snow. Haven't seen it since I left Tennessee back in 2002.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
I dont know what snow day y'all were having... but the snow I witnessed just landed and melted, then it turned into sludge and gunk.

It never really stuck to the ground, I honestly wanted to play outside, but I was very disappointed when I went outside.

But there still isn't a reason to quit work or school, people are just over reacting.
It seemed to be really variable, depending on location. In some areas it accumulated on the grass and cars. At least you all had some semblance of snowfall. In Austin, we were expecting a couple of inches but got only very light flurries for about 30 minutes to an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston