U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:09 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,979,797 times

Advertisements

Even with all there is to do in this here chaos we call a city, I (along with plenty of other people I know) am tired of driving hours to get to an amusement park when I should be able to get to one in my own town. Yes, we have the aquarium and the fun places, but I'm talking about something major. Astroworld went down the drain, but I think Houston needs another shot. Am I the only one who thinks so? Think of riding the world's best rollercoaster on a hot, Houston summer day with the wind blowing against your face...c'mon. You know you miss those days.

Anyway, the question is: if we were to get one, where should it go?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 11:35 AM

321 posts, read 1,358,898 times
Did you see the roller coaster ride and other rides they added at Kemah Boardwalk. I think Fratitta boasts of it being the tallest in the USA. Its only one hour away. The problem is there are too many amusements parks and gambling places all over the world... they are not as popular as they were..but the boardwalk in Kemah seems to be getting right. MPope..get out and drive one hr...that is not long esp on weekend. And visit the San Jacinto monument on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Even with all there is to do in this here chaos we call a city, I (along with plenty of other people I know) am tired of driving hours to get to an amusement park when I should be able to get to one in my own town. Yes, we have the aquarium and the fun places, but I'm talking about something major. Astroworld went down the drain, but I think Houston needs another shot. Am I the only one who thinks so? Think of riding the world's best rollercoaster on a hot, Houston summer day with the wind blowing against your face...c'mon. You know you miss those days.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:39 AM

adendum..

not only will you be cooled by the biggest roller coaster in the uSA, you can go on the Boardwalk beast and let the bay water cool you down.

SOmeone bought the land across from the Boardwalk.. Iam sure to build other entertainment things there as well.. And if you had a friend who owned a boat in the Kemach Boardwalk marina..a days sail to Red Fish Island and swimming in Galveston blue water with the dolphins is even better.

Quote:

Old 05-17-2007, 12:24 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,979,797 times
Yeah, I'm aware of Kemah Boardwalk the big carnival (boooo...have you been to the cheesy website?), been to the San Jac monument, but what I'm lookin for is a major amusement establishment. Don't you agree?

Old 05-17-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm aware of Kemah Boardwalk the big carnival (boooo...have you been to the cheesy website?), been to the San Jac monument, but what I'm lookin for is a major amusement establishment. Don't you agree?
Amusement parks are not cheezy to begin with??? Honey I have been here since the early carnies of Houston.. Playland park long before Astroworld. All amusement parks are "entertain me" mindless activity hence they alwyas run down... Been there for decades Pope and done that...

Kemah is great... it has more class than Astro world can even think of in Daddy Hoffeinz's head..

What are you looking for in amusement except cheap fast rides and easy pickups? Just curious..

Coney Islan off Manhaatan is being given a new look.... I know the people involved... the rides went down like they did in the 40s when the last set of rides went down.

Also the empire state building offers pseudo rides... always someone has to have some movement for entertainment.

what , pray tell, is wrong with a sale boat...

You can lease the "Capt Kidd" for a few hours along with the rides.. that is far better than astroworld and the beast ride.

How.. please tell me how Astro world was classy compared to Kemah Board walk...?

Me thinks someone is living in Da past! "Life slipps by Pope, Life slipps by"

head out to Schlitterbaun which was purchased by Disney and started in Tx...
Heck come to my house and we will open the sprinklers for you to ruin through on a hot July day!

Old 05-17-2007, 04:17 PM

I complained about their cheezy website... write to Fratittis... he needs to know.. Heck I have complained so much about the website and the pathetic manager of the Kemah board walk marina manager who doesn't even understand the term "website". Its in the genes you know? Swamp and bayou country... web feet.. Don't worry they will eventually catch on...

Pope get off the computer and go out there... see for yoursellf. and look for me as I sail by. ..

Quote:

Old 05-17-2007, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 5,855 times
Default Not gonna happen..

Ok I miss Astroworld just as much as anyone here seeing how I grew up in this city and went there from the time I was 4yrs old to the last time I went was in 03 so lets say I was 20yrs old at the time. But they will never have another six flags park in this city because of one main issue that happened with Astroworld esp. the last 7 years it was open. "GHETTO" It got to freakin ghetto at the park. All you had was thug life kids walkin around the park and nicer families quit going to astroworld because of the problems. And no I am not trying to make this a race thing because plenty of those thug types we encoutered going there in the last days of the park were white kids too. Thats it plain and simple. My friends and I had season passes every summer up through high school and it was right about 2000-2001 when the park got way worse than it had been. The only way they could even try to make it work would be to hire HPD to be park security and to hire enough to be all over the park at once. Which will never happen so we will never see another park. Oh and the Kemah Boardwalk is an absolute joke. Yeah slap a merry-go-round and some county fair sized rides next to some frozen trucked in franchise style seafood places which all suck by the way and then charge people rediculous them park prices to go there. If you want real seafood number one go somewhere not owned by Fertita preferably down in Galveston like Clarys, or Rudy & Pacos where they get their fish fresh from Katies seafood market every day. Sorry to be so negative but I am just being real about my city and how the atmosphere is so yes I agree it would be nice to have another six flags but I know we will probably never get that. So then you either have to settle for the gay boardwalk or drive to San Antonio/Dallas to get to six flags.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:24 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 11,768,075 times
I kinda thought Astroworld went the way of the dinosaur because kids just aren't as interested in that type of entertainment anymore. They've got their computers and video games and do everything inside these days, not as much playing outside like when I was a kid. Also, parking there was terrible and it's too dang hot. That's why I stopped going. I hadn't been there in almost ten years before it shut down. And yes, I agree... it was pretty cheesy.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:48 PM

61 posts, read 255,806 times
Not only does Houston need another amusement park. But it needs more MAJOR tourist attractions. Tourist attractions are what will bring the real estate value up!!!. Houston also needs to do something about all this concrete. Possible grow some green bushes on the side of them or paint them. If anyone has ever driven down the Katy freeway and if you see the section where Ikea is. I love how that section has color!!! It makes all the difference for visually appealing sites. Even if it’s just a normal store. Look at sugar land. They make sure that everything looks nice in that city. Property will go up as it will appear more desirable. Another thing I think Houston can benefit from is public transport such as a train or subway system much like NY or Sydney or London. It is a great city to start something like that.
But most of all if Houston can somehow win a bid on the Olympics that will bring MORE dollars into the city. More tourism and the government will make the city look a lot nicer. Houston has so much potential.
OHHH and while I am at it I think Houston needs MALLSS!!! Like Westfield’s! Not just the Strip malls that are everywhere. With the heat it’s annoying to be parking and walking to a store then have to park and walk into another store.
These things will bring desire and property value into a city.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Pope do what I do... I take a bus load of kids from the poor side of town to the fountains at the entrance of Sugar Creek and let them swim there for the day I took a vote adn they found their entrance fountains to be the best to swim in. The Burbs are a great source for amusement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or