U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2009, 09:17 PM

68 posts, read 97,474 times

Advertisements

We're looking at various suburbs in the Pearland area. How did Pearland fare during Ike? Any flooding?

There was a post on the board that mentioned that windstorm insurance is required in Brazoria County and that it is expensive. How much are you paying?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 08:28 AM

8,811 posts, read 18,645,694 times
Some areas of Pearland do flood and water does get into some homes. Some areas - the streets flood and never get water in the homes. Neighborhoods in the greater Houston area tend to all be built where the streets serve as waterways out of your neighborhood but the homes stay dry. You'd have to check the flood maps for areas zoned for required flood insurance AND talk to the neighbors to get the real scoop. Whether or a home flooded or not with Ike is probably not a good indicator. More local areas have flooded in the past with various tropical storms and weather systems than they did with Ike unless you were right on the coast in Galveston, San Leon, Bacliff, Kemah - etc. Those areas were devastated.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:42 AM

480 posts, read 1,598,184 times
I believe the MPCs in Pearland did well during Ike. Our streets drain into our "lakes", which is their real purpose. Two examples are Shadowcreek Ranch and Southern Trails.

I live in Southern Trails and we did great during the hurricane. You can click on the album icon next to my name and see some photos, including some that show how we weathered Ike. One photo shows that our main lake did not crest during the torrential rain, it functioned beautifully.

As for windstorm insurance, you may have read my posts about it in some other threads. There are different strategies for dealing with it. My personal choice is to use a more 'catastrophic-loss' policy rather than a full, separate, more comprehensive windstorm policy. I have a 3% catastrophic-loss windstorm clause written into my homeowners insurance policy (through State Farm), and this keeps my yearly premium at under $1,200 for both homeowners and windstorm. This works for my situation, but it might not for others. Part of the strategy is to keep funds on hand to cover the catastrophic loss (3% for my home comes to about $7K) , if it occurs.

I also advise you to get a separate flood policy, even though most parts of west Pearland are not in the flood plain, because it's simply so cheap (mine is about $350 annually).

Old 12-06-2009, 02:16 PM

739 posts, read 2,162,217 times
When I was a little boy I lived on the south side of houston near beltway 8 and 288. Water never got inside the house.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:27 AM

5 posts, read 23,921 times
No flooding in Silverlake, even during Ike. Only wind issues. I have my windstorm wrapped in my homeowner's policy but it's grandfathered - new policies I believe are through the state pool. I pay about $1600 on a $250,000 house with a 2% deductible.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:21 AM

217 posts, read 611,904 times
I think it is only fair to mention that it doesn't take a hurricane for it flood in Houston or Pearland.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:24 PM

8,811 posts, read 18,645,694 times
Ike didn't dump much rain (not enough to flood substantial parts of town) so it isn't a good comparison. Tropical storm Allison - now there was a flood.

Google Image Result for http://www.semp.us/_images/biots/Biot215PhotoC.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>