Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 03:58 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've been to all except Carrollton. Arlington seemed the most diverse to me.

When it comes to ethnic neighborhoods in Houston; for example: Chinatown is in one of the most diverse areas in Houston with a large black, white, Asian, and Mexican population. The Mexican population is rapidly increasing the wards (specifically 5th Ward); also the historical black neighborhood like South Park and South Acres have growing Mexican populations as well.
Next time your in town, check out Walnut Lane in Garland. There is alot of what your describing. Korean, Vietnamese, Mexican, and Indian estabishments all in the same shopping centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 12:48 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Somewhat. Anywhere in the South is.

Northeast is more segregated than the South

Old 12-24-2009, 10:36 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
LOL....FOMC..Falling out of my chair....Houston is the most Integrated
Urban area in the SOUTH.....Southwest..Mountain States..Las Vegas
Salt Lake City...Phoenix...Tucson...Alburquerque...Portland. ..Atlanta
Miami...Charlotte..Boston..Philadephia...Baltimore ...Washington DC
Tulsa Oklahoma City Kansas City St. Louis and the list goes on and on.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:41 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Next time your in town, check out Walnut Lane in Garland. There is alot of what your describing. Korean, Vietnamese, Mexican, and Indian estabishments all in the same shopping centers.
Walnut Lane in Garland has a lot of Asians, mostly Vietnamese. Its like a much less densely developed version of Bellaire Blvd. in Houston's Chinatown or "Asian Town".

Old 12-25-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Walnut Lane in Garland has a lot of Asians, mostly Vietnamese. Its like a much less densely developed version of Bellaire Blvd. in Houston's Chinatown or "Asian Town".
There are alot of Mexican shopping centers there as well. All right next door to each other. It actually reminds me of a more Asian version of the Buford Highway in Atlanta than it does Bellaire Blvd.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:37 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
^But is having ethnic businesses located next to each other the definition of "integrated?" If so, Houston has that in spades, but I don't think it means much of anything. I think we're talking more about residentially, where people live, whether they interact in shared space on and off the clock, do they get along, etc.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoner View Post
^But is having ethnic businesses located next to each other the definition of "integrated?" If so, Houston has that in spades, but I don't think it means much of anything. I think we're talking more about residentially, where people live, whether they interact in shared space on and off the clock, do they get along, etc.
Here is a chart of racial interaction in both Houston and Dallas:

CensusScope -- Segregation: Neighborhood Exposure by Race

CensusScope -- Segregation: Neighborhood Exposure by Race

Let me know what you think.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:07 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
Not anywhere in the South.

I found Northeast to be the most segregated in the USA except New York City. I was shocked when I went there recently but overall Northeast is a fun place to visit.

Kind of sad that people still think that way, "Anywhere in the South is".
Good post! Unfortunately, many outside the region still think of Texas and the South in terms of Jim Crow 1935.

The paradox is, as you seem to allude to, is that many times the same people come from the most segregated areas of the country.

I have never personally visited the NE, but have several good friends from there...and they tell me the enclaves of ethnic groups are MUCH more "exclusive" (i.e. segregated) than anywhere in the South.

I might add that I am not trying to be "holier than thou". Personally, I see nothing wrong with VOLUNTARY segregation. North or South or West. If people want to live and mostly be around their own (however defined), then it is a right which comes with freedom. I don't see why so many get up in arms about it. So long as it is voluntary (operative term here), then it seems to me it is more human nature than anything inherently hateful.

But anyway, again, some of those outside Texas/South seem to have a compulsive need to feel morally superior over the issue. They never look in the mirror though...maybe because they wouldn't like what they see...

Old 12-28-2009, 03:57 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,305 times
I believe Houston is still sort of Segregated in plenty of areas. It can do better. But, I don't live in one of those areas. I think Houston is more segregated by class though.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:09 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
I believe Houston is still sort of Segregated in plenty of areas. It can do better. But, I don't live in one of those areas. I think Houston is more segregated by class though.

This is true. But, you will find the upper class in every race self-segrates itself throughout the city. You will find the uber wealth of each ethinicity hanging in the same location. There will be sprinkling of races thoughout each community, but they are certainly 90% one race or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston