Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 07:38 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Thats of their own choosing. I have black friends who live in Plano, Garland, and Frisco who love it there. They certainly arent forced to the South. Blacks flock to the south because they want to be with others like them, not because whitey said they cant live up north. Its not unique to them. Every race does it. Even people who like diversity still want some people just like them around.
This doesn't change the fact that Dallas is segregated. You don't see this in Houston, which isn't nearly as segregated as Dallas. You could probably say your friends moved to those places for their own choosing and not live where the majority of Blacks live at in the DFW area...SW Dallas County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 07:39 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
This doesn't change the fact that Dallas is segregated. You don't see this in Houston, which isn't nearly as segregated as Dallas.
In your opinion. Dallas isnt segregated. It just isnt as integrated as Houston. Statistically DFW is the 5th most racially diverse metro area in the US.

If you want to see segregated to perfection, go to Chicago or Detroit.

A pet peve of mine is when people ***** about segregation and then encourage it. Some of the black community in Dallas ******* about it, but when new people come in, they are the very ones telling them to move to the southern burbs.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
My views on Dallas and Houston's model of integration go as such;

I personally would say Dallas is more integrated city wise, the shops are spread out, and so are the restaurants, everything is spread out in the metroplex, it's really nice not always having to go to the same one area to get your Chinese or Indian food. And that's a good way for "integration" in my books.

Houston in that same essence would be more segregated, with Chinatowns and the Mahatma Gandhi district, and Vietnam town all being on their own and the center of cultural influence for those people. Granted Vietnam town and Chinatown are close to each other but they're still segregated in the fact that they're distinguishable from one another.

Culturally Houston is more integrated than Dallas is. Dallas is getting there too, so there's no discrediting Dallas progress.
Not really. Houston's Chinatown is not even really a "Chinatown". I think there are more Vietnamese owned businesses than Chinese owned businesses.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:14 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
In your opinion. Dallas isnt segregated. It just isnt as integrated as Houston. Statistically DFW is the 5th most racially diverse metro area in the US.

A pet peve of mine is when people ***** about segregation and then encourage it. Some of the black community in Dallas ******* about it, but when new people come in, they are the very ones telling them to move to the southern burbs.
Dallas is segregated and it doesn't take intelligence to see that. Regardless of if it's the blacks and whites sepereating themselves from eachother voluntarily; it's still segregated.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
In my opinion? It's the TRUTH! You don't have an area like the "Best Southwest" in Houston, where the majority of new black residents to the metro area move to. The closest area to this in Houston is Missouri City, and even then, Missouri City is much more racially diverse than any of the "Best Southwest" cities in the Dallas area. Yes, Dallas is becoming more integrated, but that doesn't change the fact that it is segregated.

And what does racial diversity have to do with segregation? Just because an area is racially diverse does not mean it isn't segregated.

Quote:
How does this take away from the fact that Dallas is segregated?

Quote:
Exactly. Dallas is slowly becoming integrated, but since this is still taking place, you can't deny that it is not segregated and people keep those same thoughts when suggesting places to move to.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Dallas is segregated and it doesn't take intelligence to see that. Regardless of if it's the blacks and whites sepereating themselves from eachother voluntarily; it's still segregated.
What about Garland, Arlington, or DeSoto? Would you call those places segregated. I sure wouldnt.

I never claimed Dallas was a bastion of integration, but in my opinion it isnt segregated either. Its not really either segregated or integrated, but its becoming more integrated.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
In my opinion? It's the TRUTH! You don't have an area like the "Best Southwest" in Houston, where the majority of new black residents to the metro area move to. The closest area to this in Houston is Missouri City, and even then, Missouri City is much more racially diverse than any of the "Best Southwest" cities in the Dallas area. Yes, Dallas is becoming more integrated, but that doesn't change the fact that it is segregated.

And what does racial diversity have to do with segregation? Just because an area is racially diverse does not mean it isn't segregated.

Exactly. Dallas is slowly becoming integrated, but since this is still taking place, you can't deny that it is not segregated and people keep those same thoughts when suggesting places to move to.
I still dont think Dallas is really segregated or integrated. Its somewhere in between. As you say, its becoming more integrated.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:55 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
I still dont think Dallas is really segregated or integrated. Its somewhere in between. As you say, its becoming more integrated.
LA Native u know how it is....Scareface is sticking to his point because he feels that if he is realistic and admitt that dallas is even little integrated....or even becoming morso....it would then signal that he is making an evident observation....and then he would be cheating on Houston for stating the obvious.......bias is his middle name.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:14 AM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,589 times
Quote:
But LANative10, you have to admit. In Dallas, there are certain areas that are more "lily white" or "more black" versus in Houston, especially now. I lived in Carrollton for a long time & I'm black, but I grew up in Tulsa, Oklahoma (which by the way is still very segregated: north Tulsa is black & poor, south Tulsa is white & rich) & lived in Houston & now I'm back in Houston. Houston has also been more historically welcoming to African-Americans than has Dallas. There are 2 predominantly black universities (TSU & Prairie View A&M) does Dallas have any HBCUs (historically black colleges & universities)? I don't remember there being any except for Paul Quinn..

When I was living in Dallas, there was the white side of town (north Dallas-Plano, Lakewood, Preston Hollow, Highland & University Park) & the black side of town (south Dallas-Duncanville, DeSoto, Grand Prairie, Lancaster). When I was in Houston, there was also a black side of town (5th ward, 3rd ward, Acres Home, Sunnyside) & a white side of town (north Houston, south Katy, Memorial, River Oaks) but the suburbs as a whole were much more diverse than were the suburbs of Dallas.

Before you attack me, I'm not saying that Houston is better than Dallas or vice versa. Houston is merely more international & global than Dallas is & it's been that way for a while now. Dallas is becoming more of a global city too but in terms of segregation, it is not nearly as integrated as Houston. I mean, I live on the west side of town in Houston & my next door neighbors are German & Filipino.

But that's my 2 cents anyway, take it or leave it.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:41 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
We will just agree to disagree; I think it's segregated though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston