Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 03:23 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times

Advertisements

Not perfect, but White is one of the few Democrats I've voted for. Dude seems to be business before politics when problems arise, unlike our neighbors to the east. I think he did good for Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 05:05 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Katrina was Houston's finest hour?

Uhmm, some would disagree. I witnessed first hand, the violence brought upon our city by those that took shelter in Houston from Katrina... and who still are on assistance today, isn't that a bit long to recover from Katrina? Mayor White, and Houston had all good intentions of course, but he had "no plan" as they say.

A few of my co-workers also had to take their children out of their high school and enroll them in a private school because the classes had to be dumbed down so that some of the evacuees could try to keep up. Not only that, a close friend of mine lost about 250K on some multi family rental property he had due to some Secition-8 residents; they trashed his place, would not move out, eventually he had to forclose on the property. Again, Katrina evacuees.

This is not Mayor White's fault of course, but again, whether he deserves it, or not, Mayor White's decision is seen as the catalyst for these events by my friends. I think Mayor White has been a good Mayor otherwise, but he might have problems getting elected to Governor. He can use the Katrina event to his credit, it was a compassionate thing to do, but somehow I think the strategists will come up with something along the lines I just mentioned.

His taxing policies will also hurt him in our current economic climate. Houston can afford incremental taxes, but those in the rural areas who are hurting won't be too keen to elect anyone who is in favor or raising rates, or taxes, Republican, or Democrat.

Right now, I would not want to vote for any of the three, White, Perry, or Hutchinson! I wish there were other alternatives, but we shall see.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:26 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Mayor White, and Houston had all good intentions of course, but he had "no plan" as they say.
And who in government had a plan? Nagin? Brownie? Bush? And why would it be Bill White's responsibility to plan for providing relief for a disaster in a city in the next state 350 miles away? Even if he had a plan, it would've involved coordination with Louisiana and the federal government, all of whom had their heads firmly planted in their asses. With Heckuva Job Brownie worrying about his dinner engagements and how his hair looked on TV, any "plan" would've been out the window because one logically would've planned that their state government and the feds would be doing something more useful than holding press conferences and photo ops.

Basically the local officials here were the only ones in government who were showing a shred of aptitude in what they were elected/appointed to do in the event of a crisis that really wasn't even "ours."

You could've had Jesus for a mayor and the people from New Orleans would've still shown up here after the storm. Yes, it sucked, but so do hurricanes. Bad things happen and that day it happened in New Orleans. What was White going to do? Pick up the city and move it further away from Louisiana to keep them away? Build a wall around the city in a day? We made the best of having a crappy hand dealt to us.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:15 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Maybe under White, Texas will get to experiment with a state income tax, thereby freeing up cash for a New York City-style subway system in Houston.
We can't have a subway system here - due to our level of sea level - or so I have been told. That's why we don't have basements and have to keep pour pools filled with water (or they will pop out of the ground). However, the English tunnel (and other tunnels) is certainly below sea level - so I never understood that.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:27 AM

Default Many cities below sea-level have subways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
We can't have a subway system here - due to our level of sea level - or so I have been told. That's why we don't have basements and have to keep pour pools filled with water (or they will pop out of the ground). However, the English tunnel (and other tunnels) is certainly below sea level - so I never understood that.
Amsterdam is the same, they have systems underground, and they have a wall to keep the sea out of the city. It can be done, probably just too expensive. Of course, nothing is ever cheap, had they began to build such a system 20-30 years ago, it would be considered a bargain now. So, why not start today, in 20-30 years from now, it will be seen as a bargain just the same.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Uhmm, some would disagree. I witnessed first hand, the violence brought upon our city by those that took shelter in Houston from Katrina... and who still are on assistance today, isn't that a bit long to recover from Katrina? Mayor White, and Houston had all good intentions of course, but he had "no plan" as they say.

A few of my co-workers also had to take their children out of their high school and enroll them in a private school because the classes had to be dumbed down so that some of the evacuees could try to keep up. Not only that, a close friend of mine lost about 250K on some multi family rental property he had due to some Secition-8 residents; they trashed his place, would not move out, eventually he had to forclose on the property. Again, Katrina evacuees.

This is not Mayor White's fault of course, but again, whether he deserves it, or not, Mayor White's decision is seen as the catalyst for these events by my friends. I think Mayor White has been a good Mayor otherwise, but he might have problems getting elected to Governor. He can use the Katrina event to his credit, it was a compassionate thing to do, but somehow I think the strategists will come up with something along the lines I just mentioned.

His taxing policies will also hurt him in our current economic climate. Houston can afford incremental taxes, but those in the rural areas who are hurting won't be too keen to elect anyone who is in favor or raising rates, or taxes, Republican, or Democrat.

Right now, I would not want to vote for any of the three, White, Perry, or Hutchinson! I wish there were other alternatives, but we shall see.
I dont think you can put that on White, it was a humanitarian effort, because you never know when we will get hit. Beside it gave me the opportunity to see politics in action as Nagin sat behind me in a midtown sports bar with his cronies after a hard day of reminding 'his relocated constituents' that they still had voting rights, and they should keep him in office otherwise theyd lose their benefits.

No doubt I understand the 'concern' of a number of AA coleagues when the Katrinas moved in and seemed to prey on their breathren. I still recall driving downtown after the first weekend and wondered what was up with all the young men in t shirts and blue jeans walking in packs.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:53 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
my only question is if he where to get elected, would texas become a sanctuary state? i love this state but i would have to move i think if that where the case.

admittedly i dont follow local govt as much as i should, his sanctuary city BS is a big problem for me.

as for state income tax, why would we want one? our property taxes are lower then places like california, as they are now, they have an income tax as well. done them real well hasnt it? texas is one of the few states who actually has a decent fiscal policy and IMO not having a state income tax is a huge reason why. other states in huge trouble already tax the people to death, you would think that some of these "smart" people running things would be able to put 2 and 2 together and not get 6. lowering taxes, not creating new ones or raising them is how you get money flowing.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:59 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I dont think you can put that on White, it was a humanitarian effort, because you never know when we will get hit. Beside it gave me the opportunity to see politics in action as Nagin sat behind me in a midtown sports bar with his cronies after a hard day of reminding 'his relocated constituents' that they still had voting rights, and they should keep him in office otherwise theyd lose their benefits.

No doubt I understand the 'concern' of a number of AA coleagues when the Katrinas moved in and seemed to prey on their breathren. I still recall driving downtown after the first weekend and wondered what was up with all the young men in t shirts and blue jeans walking in packs.

i dont think you can compare nagin and white. mr chocolate city was/is in things 100000% for himself, white SEEMS to want to do good, even if some of this ideas are misguided.

same went for La's governor, blanco was 10000000000000% all about herself and where she could get ahead. those 2 are IMO 75% to blame for all of the problems of katrina but bush and fema and all those got the blame. realize that there are laws still in effect that say the us navy can not enter the waters of a state without the governors permission, and blanco kept navy ships ready to aid and assist out of NO for 2-3 days while she "decided" what should be done. obviously this is not the sole problem but one example. and bush got blamed for it.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i dont think you can compare nagin and white. mr chocolate city was/is in things 100000% for himself, white SEEMS to want to do good, even if some of this ideas are misguided.

same went for La's governor, blanco was 10000000000000% all about herself and where she could get ahead. those 2 are IMO 75% to blame for all of the problems of katrina but bush and fema and all those got the blame. realize that there are laws still in effect that say the us navy can not enter the waters of a state without the governors permission, and blanco kept navy ships ready to aid and assist out of NO for 2-3 days while she "decided" what should be done. obviously this is not the sole problem but one example. and bush got blamed for it.

I agree with you. The LA politicians were the bigger problem. A huge reason why NO has not gotten on its feet while similarly destroyed Mississippi has made a lot of progress. White was not the issue. Sorry for hijack.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:18 AM

Default Ahhh yes, the Chocolate City...

Who can forget this? Not that this has anything to do with Mayor White of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: