Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:13 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Cheryjohns, you a real estate agent? And you are calling people Rednecks? How many homes have you sold to Rednecks, or relatives of Rednecks? Just kidding of course. Reading your posts, which have been well worded, caused me to do a doubletake on your post, not what I had expected from you. Progressives are the compassionate ones, eh?
None (houses) to what I would call a redneck. Maybe I have the definition wrong, but I consider them to be the intolerant ones. I was raised around what I consider rednecks - and unless you are white, Protestant and straight - they pretty much hate you. Would I sell a house to one? Nope. Don't like haters. (Notice that I didn't say I hated them? - ) As far as their relatives, I have them in my own family - don't like being around them, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 11:25 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall5000 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I can pay more just didnt know what a reasonable starting point would be for rent. I did see your new mayor election which is great news. Been wanting to move to Houston for about 6 months.What would be a reasonable amount to expect to pay?
I just checked MLS listings - there are 236 in western side (you don't want eastern side) of inner loop and the Galleria between $600 - $900. About 2/3 you probably don't want - but that still leaves quite a few to pick from.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:47 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,573,598 times
For the Montrose small 1 brd $800 for any decent size atleast $1400

Old 12-13-2009, 12:10 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Cheryjohns, you a real estate agent? And you are calling people Rednecks? How many homes have you sold to Rednecks, or relatives of Rednecks? Just kidding of course. Reading your posts, which have been well worded, caused me to do a doubletake on your post, not what I had expected from you. Progressives are the compassionate ones, eh?
Let's not diss the Progressives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
For the Montrose small 1 brd $800 for any decent size atleast $1400
Oh no, not that much The Windsor apartments on Studemont are very nice. You pay for 700 square feet about 1k a month. 1400 already gets you a 2 bed room, I think.
Now someone will say "that's not Montrose". I say - it kind of is. It's just 1 block away from Allen, which is considered as the border of Montrose.
I can only think of one apartment complex IN Montrose that is comparable to Windsor. They would be around 1100 Dollars.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:20 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,363 times
You can find something in Montrose for $700, though it won't be the biggest and best of apartments and for many Houstonians that's a deal breaker. People without children or from more urban cities can usually cope though. That means you might not have a W/D hook up in your apartment and your appliances etc might be outdated. You may or may not have a gate and if you have one, it certainly won't be computerized. Urbanites know it's all about sacrifice. If you want to find cheaper apartments, you want to look at companies that have very small management (perhaps just the owner), otherwise you will probably be paying out the wazoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Let's not diss the Progressives!
Now someone will say "that's not Montrose". I say - it kind of is. It's just 1 block away from Allen, which is considered as the border of Montrose.
I can only think of one apartment complex IN Montrose that is comparable to Windsor. They would be around 1100 Dollars.
And no, that is NOT Montrose at all. (I think you're the person who tried to say it was like 4 months again...and you're still wrong.) I believe that area is Memorial Heights.

I remember someone tried to tell me they lived on Allen Parkway in Montrose and I was like "Oh, you mean you live in the Allen Parkway neighborhood." LOL!

Not being snooty, it's just true---if you walk around, you'll realize that the vibe (and the zip code) changes after you pass West Gray. Heck, and that's only contesting the northern border.

It's true that the gay community in Houston has spread out, with Meyerland/Wesbury area being another area with a high concentration. However, if it had to be named, Montrose would be the "Chelsea, NYC" of Houston, especially since many of the primarily LGBT businesses and nightlife are located in Montrose.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 12-13-2009 at 03:50 PM..

Old 12-13-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post

And no, that is NOT Montrose at all. (I think you're the person who tried to say it was like 4 months again...and you're still wrong.) I believe that area is Memorial Heights.

I remember someone tried to tell me they lived on Allen Parkway in Montrose and I was like "Oh, you mean you live in the Allen Parkway neighborhood." LOL!

Not being snooty, it's just true---if you walk around, you'll realize that the vibe (and the zip code) changes after you pass West Gray. Heck, and that's only contesting the northern border.

It's true that the gay community in Houston has spread out, with Meyerland/Wesbury area being another area with a high concentration. However, if it had to be named, Montrose would be the "Chelsea, NYC" of Houston, especially since many of the primarily LGBT businesses and nightlife are located in Montrose.
Yeah, that was me. I don't know why gay people wanna live there. I don't like it. Could be much worse I guess, but I don't consider Montrose a "nice area". One plus I can think of is that you can walk there.
Not sure about "LGBT business". What would that be?
If you wanna walk to the clubs, then you got another plus Montrose.
Never heard of someone having problems in the suburbs. Especially if you're on a budget. You can get something nice at 800 bucks already.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:54 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Yeah, that was me. I don't know why gay people wanna live there. I don't like it. Could be much worse I guess, but I don't consider Montrose a "nice area". One plus I can think of is that you can walk there.
Not sure about "LGBT business". What would that be?
If you wanna walk to the clubs, then you got another plus Montrose.
Never heard of someone having problems in the suburbs. Especially if you're on a budget. You can get something nice at 800 bucks already.
Well, I didn't really ask you if you think it's nice, because I could care less. However, I think you answered your own question: It's one of the few places where you can actually make a dent in distance by walking and that's why some people consider it a nice area.

My own personal reasons include lots of good restaurant choices and proximity to downtown (as well as other business districts) not to mention some of Houston's priciest neighborhoods.

In a sprawling metro I can't really stress the strength of that latter point though, especially since traffic and commute times are the main reasons people have beef with this city. I just think this city is much more enjoyable when you live close in and don't have to spend so much time behind the wheel, but that's just me--some people enjoy driving.

In any case, when I'm talking about LGBT businesses, I'm talking about those businesses that target or might appeal to gay/lesbian customers. A few would be M2M, MaleUWare and Hollywood Video. Also, if you've ever been to the Starbucks on Hawthorne and Montrose you might know what I mean...it's just got a community feeling to it.

I never said anything bad about the suburbs. I can understand that families would want the best house, yard, school district and neighborhood for their children that they can afford. That's why I like this city, because there are lots of options.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:18 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall5000 View Post
Hello, I am a single gay man (48) and am able to relocate if i choose and i am ready to leave Atlanta. Could someone help me and tell what areas of houston have nice safe apartment communities that are gay or gay friendly. I am hoping to pay around $700 a month
There are plenty of apartment communities in Montrose and Neartown that are well within your budget. They are mostly concentrated in the area bordered by 59 and Westheimer, from Montrose Eastward.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Well, I didn't really ask you if you think it's nice, because I could care less. However, I think you answered your own question: It's one of the few places where you can actually make a dent in distance by walking and that's why some people consider it a nice area.
That wasn't meant for you. Just a general comment. Being able to walk there dosen't make it a nice area. Makes it appealing to some people, I guess. However, most of the area itself is kinda ugly, imo.
And yes, I have been to that Starbucks. No idea what you're talking about. I recall seeing some gay people. That's what you mean? Yeah, that's true. If that's important to him.

Anyway, I would start off by going through craigslist. Best place to find private rentals that are not as expensive as apartments. Not having to sign long lease terms might be another perk.

Last edited by XodoX; 12-13-2009 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: Nvm.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:24 PM

68 posts, read 210,129 times
Why don't you tell us more about where you would like to live.. what you would like to live around.. and what size is good for you..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston