Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 5,977 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a single gay man (48) and am able to relocate if i choose and i am ready to leave Atlanta. Could someone help me and tell what areas of houston have nice safe apartment communities that are gay or gay friendly. I am hoping to pay around $700 a month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 08:58 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall5000 View Post
Hello, I am a single gay man (48) and am able to relocate if i choose and i am ready to leave Atlanta. Could someone help me and tell what areas of houston have nice safe apartment communities that are gay or gay friendly. I am hoping to pay around $700 a month
Where will you be working? How much are you willing to pay for rent?

Edit: lol Sorry, you were faster. Didn't see it. 700 is not really a budget for Montrose. You want to look at the suburbs.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:59 AM

235 posts, read 803,216 times
Montrose is the area generally considered 'gay'. It's pretty pricey though, so not sure what you could get for $700.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:37 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Other than a few outskirts, which still harbor rednecks, the majority of the city is gay-friendly. If you caught the news, we just elected the first openly gay mayor in a large city, last night. Go more on budget and work location - don't worry about gay.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:09 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default How do you really feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Other than a few outskirts, which still harbor rednecks, the majority of the city is gay-friendly. If you caught the news, we just elected the first openly gay mayor in a large city, last night. Go more on budget and work location - don't worry about gay.
Cheryjohns, you a real estate agent? And you are calling people Rednecks? How many homes have you sold to Rednecks, or relatives of Rednecks? Just kidding of course. Reading your posts, which have been well worded, caused me to do a doubletake on your post, not what I had expected from you. Progressives are the compassionate ones, eh?

Old 12-13-2009, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 5,977 times
Default Reasonable expected rent

Thanks for the replies. I can pay more just didnt know what a reasonable starting point would be for rent. I did see your new mayor election which is great news. Been wanting to move to Houston for about 6 months.What would be a reasonable amount to expect to pay?

Old 12-13-2009, 10:20 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Where will you be working? How much are you willing to pay for rent?

Edit: lol Sorry, you were faster. Didn't see it. 700 is not really a budget for Montrose. You want to look at the suburbs.

Is montrose that expensive now?

Old 12-13-2009, 10:30 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default Garage apartments

I used to have friends who lived in various garage apartments in Montrose who paid about that much.... 20 years ago! Even most garage apartments will be higher than $700.00 "in" Montrose. The truth is, if you do find something for ~$700.00 in Montrose, don't expect much, or expect much in regards of modernization, or even safety. There are, however, apartments in the $700.00 range 'around' Montrose.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:32 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Is montrose that expensive now?
Yes.

He'll have to use Craigslist very, very carefully to find anything in that price range directly in Montrose.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:52 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Houston's gay community is not as concentrated in one area as I have seen in a lot of other cities. Cost factors in Montrose are one of the reasons. Basically anything inside the loop or right around it should be fine as far as having some like-minded neighbors.

Richmont Square has always been one of the more affordable large complexes in Montrose, but I have no idea what it is running these days. Individual rentals like garage apartments and duplexes are a mixed bag wherever you go. Your rental dollar in that type of set up will go further (but not much further) in some parts of the Heights. If you can find a garage apartment in Lindale Park, Eastwood, Brookesmith, these areas can be affordable alternatives.

Years ago Chateaux Dijon over on Beverly Hill was a popular choice even though the outside was not very well maintained. They had real unusual floorplans there that drew a lot of people in despite the shortcomings. Haven't been by there in a few years so I don't know what it is like now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston