Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 05:35 AM

480 posts, read 1,698,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Pearland is also becoming a popular Houston suburb for Vietnamese.
I agree with this, there are many Vietnamese-American families in my neighborhood, and more move in each month. The same is true for Shadowcreek Ranch to the north of me. The west side of Pearland is definitely popular for them, as it is for many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 09:30 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,242 times
Asians in Greater Houston concentrate in the following areas:
1. near southwest- Sugar Land, Missouri City, Stafford, and Alief (part of Houston)- School districts are Fort Bend ISD, Stafford ISD, and Alief ISD
2. near northwest- Jersey Village area (Spring Branch ISD) and Cypress Falls area (Cypress-Fairbanks ISD)
3. Clear Lake area (Clear Creek ISD)
4. Memorial villages and greater Katy (Memorial High School in Houston ISD and Cinco Ranch/Taylor High schools in Katy ISD)

Old 10-18-2010, 09:40 PM

867 posts, read 2,976,831 times
Being an Asian-American (father mainland-Chinese/mom white, had a very Sugar Land Asian upbringing, went to Clements, all that stuff) who lives in a very un-Asian area (Huntsville) served in the military Honorably at Ft. Benning, GA, did 3 tours in Iraq, speaks perfect English, and has predominantly White and European friends, I'm proudly one of the few Asian-Americans that doesn't adhere to the "Asians should stick together" way of thinking.

We (Asian-Americans) need to move away from that and I have no doubt that upcoming generations of AA's will do so. Inter-marriage between Asians & non-Asians and adoption of Asian children by non-Asians will play a role. I should also note that when my dad was an adjunct math instructor at UW-Oshkosh in the early '80's, he met my mom--a white Wisconsin female who grew up on a dairy farm.

My late Chinese grandfather was educated in the UK (this was before the Communists took over), spoke the Queen's English and worked for the British inspecting the mail for signs of espionage in WWII.

With all that said, I actually freakin' love being a lone Asian in a non-Asian area and my Chinese family doesn't believe in that "Asians together" hogwash.

This is 2010, folks. It's time to get out of the ethnic enclaves and deal with other cultures.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 10-18-2010 at 10:31 PM..

Old 10-21-2010, 03:51 PM

433 posts, read 701,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
Being an Asian-American (father mainland-Chinese/mom white, had a very Sugar Land Asian upbringing, went to Clements, all that stuff) who lives in a very un-Asian area (Huntsville) served in the military Honorably at Ft. Benning, GA, did 3 tours in Iraq, speaks perfect English, and has predominantly White and European friends, I'm proudly one of the few Asian-Americans that doesn't adhere to the "Asians should stick together" way of thinking.

We (Asian-Americans) need to move away from that and I have no doubt that upcoming generations of AA's will do so. Inter-marriage between Asians & non-Asians and adoption of Asian children by non-Asians will play a role. I should also note that when my dad was an adjunct math instructor at UW-Oshkosh in the early '80's, he met my mom--a white Wisconsin female who grew up on a dairy farm.

My late Chinese grandfather was educated in the UK (this was before the Communists took over), spoke the Queen's English and worked for the British inspecting the mail for signs of espionage in WWII.

With all that said, I actually freakin' love being a lone Asian in a non-Asian area and my Chinese family doesn't believe in that "Asians together" hogwash.

This is 2010, folks. It's time to get out of the ethnic enclaves and deal with other cultures.
Why do you love being a lone asian in a non-asian area?

Old 10-21-2010, 05:19 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,941 times
Just look for the neighborhood that doesn't have any stray dogs wandering around...

Old 10-21-2010, 05:55 PM

433 posts, read 701,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Just look for the neighborhood that doesn't have any stray dogs wandering around...
So look for a neighborhood that is >250K.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:06 PM

867 posts, read 2,976,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach84 View Post
Why do you love being a lone asian in a non-asian area?
It forces you to deal with other cultures (which is something I'm used to anyway, being prior-military, half-and-half, and an Iraq War Vet). You feel sort of special and unique, and when I deal with a lot of people who are from the country and haven't talked to/dealt with many Asians, you're their first impression. My experiences here and other places I've been as a lone Asian, have been nothing less than outstanding. I wouldn't give it up for the world, brother/sister.

Also, being a Veteran, I identify with that demographic, which is strong here. (Rural Texas is generally very pro-military.)

It's a little boring being an Asian in Sugar Land and Alief, because, well, you really don't stick out. By staying in those kinds of places, you just reinforce the rather negative stereotype that some may have of us, that we're a closed, unwelcoming culture that "hangs with our kind."

By dealing solely with non-Asians, (my only Asian friends I keep in touch with are my friends from Sugar Land/Clements) you are able to represent and spread your culture to others. You can't do that when you chill with other Asian people.

That's just my opinion.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:02 AM

115 posts, read 396,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
It forces you to deal with other cultures (which is something I'm used to anyway, being prior-military, half-and-half, and an Iraq War Vet). You feel sort of special and unique, and when I deal with a lot of people who are from the country and haven't talked to/dealt with many Asians, you're their first impression. My experiences here and other places I've been as a lone Asian, have been nothing less than outstanding. I wouldn't give it up for the world, brother/sister.

Also, being a Veteran, I identify with that demographic, which is strong here. (Rural Texas is generally very pro-military.)

It's a little boring being an Asian in Sugar Land and Alief, because, well, you really don't stick out. By staying in those kinds of places, you just reinforce the rather negative stereotype that some may have of us, that we're a closed, unwelcoming culture that "hangs with our kind."

By dealing solely with non-Asians, (my only Asian friends I keep in touch with are my friends from Sugar Land/Clements) you are able to represent and spread your culture to others. You can't do that when you chill with other Asian people.

That's just my opinion.
There is nothing wrong for people of the same upbringing/culture to congregate together. It's not always a matter of choice but sometimes a matter of necessity. People who just migrated to the US or of older generations may feel more comfortable living in a place where the language, food, entertainment, culture, family discipline/respect, etc. remind them of their homeland. As time goes on many will get assimilated and move away from their zone of comfort...it's human nature!

You said you love to be the lone Asian in a non-Asian area and that's fine. But don't criticize other Asians for living within their Asian communities. Contrary to your belief, you can still represent and spread your culture to others when you "chill" with other Asian people. I came here from VN and I hang around with my VNmese friends, as well as American friends...does it really matter? I just live my life the way I like it and I don't need to prove anything to anybody.

It seems like you're stereotyping that Asians only "hang around" with their kinds. That is so much farther from the truth. There are millions of us out there and many don't live in "china towns". Maybe you need to step down from your imaginary pedestal and have a hot bowl of spicy noodle!

Edit: Forgot to give you kudos for serving the country.

Last edited by slingster; 10-22-2010 at 10:10 AM..

Old 10-22-2010, 03:46 PM

29 posts, read 52,233 times
Gollee....jeepers...some of you need a spankin' for your ethnocentristicity. Where is the spankin' emoticon? H-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-y-a! Sorry ...I couldn't help it...(bowing head in shame.....)

Old 10-22-2010, 08:14 PM

78 posts, read 290,212 times
Go to greatschools.org. They'll tell you where the good schools are and demographics (if its high Asian % in Houston chances are there's a lot of Vietnamese there also). Find good schools and work it out from there.

Btw, the areas around Alief ISD are ghetto. I would never raise a family there. There may be some Vietnamese in those schools but there's a lot more Mexicans and Black kids who frankly don't give two craps about school.

Sugarland, Pearland and Friendswoods are much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston