Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 07:26 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmoses View Post
-Both cities are very hot in the summer and Dallas is colder than Houston in the winter...Both cities have many accessible Community college systems, both have large state funded universities UH in houston and UT-arlington in the dallas suburb, both have smaller private universities HBU & University of St. Thomas in houston and University of Dallas in (oddly enough) Richardson, tx. Of course if you want to pretend like an ivy leaguer, you will like either Rice University in houston or SMU in dallas....both universities are surrounded by beautiful old neighborhoods.
-Both cities have a gargantuan variety of restaurants and bar\hangout options. Dallas tends to lean more toward the "clean cut" squeaky-clean chain restaurant scene. Houston overall more of a "bohemian" feel, with quirky neighborhood eateries and many ethnic choices.
-The music scene is where these two cities vastly differ. Ironically, even though Dallas is definately the "better-dressed", more cosmopolitan city, Houston's music scene is much more active and diverse. Many of the bands that now call Austin home originated in Houston. Over 20 public music festivals and almost two-dozen more "underground" music festivals in Houston, give the city a vibe similar to Austin in the 80s.
-Of course California is a place many people want to visit, due to the beautiful scenery. This is not the case in either Dallas or Houston. However, the two cities are close to major outdoor attractions. Dallas has many lakes and public beaches\boat ramps for water recreation. Houston is 45 mins from the beach, which is not the nicest beach on the gulf. In the summer, many city people take the drive out to the texas hill country, where they can dip in cool, blue, tree shaded rivers and relax. Houston's about 3hrs to San Marcos, Dallas is about 4hrs away.
-Overall, its up to you. Dallas is easy to grab, but some say a shallow city. Houston is tough to find, but hard to quit.
The main attraction for people who live in Houston is Galveston.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:28 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
What???????

you have to be kidding me. I think I go to Galveston once every 5 years. The main attraction, for somewhere to visit, is IAH and all planes out.

I love Houston, it's people, the neighborhoods IN Houston, but seriously...Galveston is nasty.No one wants to go there, it's just where they end up for time or budget reasons.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:27 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
What???????

you have to be kidding me. I think I go to Galveston once every 5 years. The main attraction, for somewhere to visit, is IAH and all planes out.

I love Houston, it's people, the neighborhoods IN Houston, but seriously...Galveston is nasty.No one wants to go there, it's just where they end up for time or budget reasons.
Galveston is nice, just the beach is not the nicest, but most tolerate it, but dont they love to complain.

Galveston has numerous museums, Moody Gardens, Schlitterbahn, great architecture and history, the Strand, etc.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:47 PM

9 posts, read 19,201 times
I'm sure between 2025-2050 Galveston will be beautified and modernized and become a getaway destination for the region. HOPEFULLY!!! But it just really depends on the plans, voter's optimism for the plans, politicians, and etc. So you really have to stretch that hopefully!!!!. Many of my cousins have been to Galveston and said that it was fine but it would have been more enjoyable if it were spruced up. However, that was several years ago. Things may have changed since then.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
What???????

IAH? Lol, the airport? Galveston has tourist attractions. Moody Gardens. There are several beaches there. People go for Honeymoon there.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhouiah View Post
I'm sure between 2025-2050 Galveston will be beautified and modernized and become a getaway destination for the region. HOPEFULLY!!! But it just really depends on the plans, voter's optimism for the plans, politicians, and etc. So you really have to stretch that hopefully!!!!. Many of my cousins have been to Galveston and said that it was fine but it would have been more enjoyable if it were spruced up. However, that was several years ago. Things may have changed since then.
Is there a project for this? It was rebuilt after Ike.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:33 PM

640 posts, read 1,731,660 times
Quote:
California is nothing like Texas. People are different, climate is different, no mountains, less tourist attractions.
Let's hope it stays that way.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:31 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Most ignortant statment I've heard all year minus a few Obama has made. Don't get me wrong, I love Galveston, but its not the "main attraction" for people who live in Houston. Spring, Summer, & maybe early Fall are really about the only times you can go lay out on the beach or do anything fun in Galveston though there is a huge Mardi Gras festival down there every year which attracts thousands of visitors to the city.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:00 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,915,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Because really, those of us here in Houston experience every single one of the unique-to-Houston problems listed above on a daily basis. I am constantly plagued by illegal alien drug smuggling taco bell eating Louisiana criminals while I sit home at night in my blighted barrio neighborhood bored and choking from the pollution in my humid tornado shelter waiting out the hurricane, all the while trying to hide from the gators snapping at me while mosquitoes bite my ear thinking about how I will be stuck in traffic in my car since there is no bus to take me to the refinery in the morning, knowing I will be pulled over by the Houston police who have one hand tied behind their back by city hall.

Why oh why did I leave California for this hell hole?
I'd rep you on that one if I could! Hilarious!

Old 12-24-2009, 01:08 PM

9 posts, read 19,201 times
Note: on my previous response I was speaking hypothetically. Sorry, for the confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston