U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 6,605 times

Advertisements

I got a ticket this morning at N Durham at Cornism. I was traveling on Durham going to Allen parkway, the Police was parked on the west side of Cornism. He pulled in behind me to pull me over, if this was the case and I was "Blocking" the intersection how could this be? I did not move and he was in my rear view mirror. To be blocking something means "to make unsuitable for passage or progress by obstruction".

What do you think? Is is worth taking to court?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 10:41 AM

1,408 posts, read 3,803,125 times
I didn't catch the part about what exactly you where doing when he got you. Where you actually stopped at the intersection during a red light??

Old 12-22-2009, 10:44 AM

5,133 posts, read 5,909,421 times
I too have no idea what you actually did. If you were stuck in the intersection when the light turned red, then you were properly ticketed. The only exception is if you are turning, and were waiting for the traffic to clear.

I mainly read this thread because I never knew the police actually ticketed for this. I'm glad they do!

Old 12-22-2009, 05:16 PM

419 posts, read 1,837,622 times
I agree that you need to explain what you were doing and where you were in the intersection. I will assume that intersection had a traffic light.

I like idea of them giving a ticket to drivers that can't seem to wait their turn during heavy traffic and put themselves in the intersection when the light turns red. All you need to do is wait until there is enough room for your vehicle then proceed thru the intersection (but only when the light is green).

Old 12-22-2009, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 6,605 times
Sorry I guess I did not explain myself. I was waiting at the light about 5 cars back. The intersection I was told I blocked is a side street that the HPD officer came in from.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:59 PM

687 posts, read 2,006,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith7251 View Post
Sorry I guess I did not explain myself. I was waiting at the light about 5 cars back. The intersection I was told I blocked is a side street that the HPD officer came in from.
Sounds like you deserved the ticket. It's annoying when aggressive or thoughtless drivers block the intersections.

Although some of these intersections do have signs warning drivers to not block the intersections. Usu. these intersections are the ones closer to the busy intersection with the light, because without these little reminders to be nice, people who live off the side streets would have an impossible time getting out onto the main street during times of heavier traffic. Does yours have a sign?

Old 12-23-2009, 06:51 AM

1,390 posts, read 4,099,787 times
If you blocked the side street (Cornish), then you broke traffic code and the ticket is enforceable. Coincidentally, I was at this intersection at lunch yesterday, and they had multiple cars pulled over in the Wendy's parking lot. I assume that local businesses/residents complained and the police decided to hit that intersection hard to bring attention to the fact that it shouldn't be blocked. They will move on in a couple of days and people will start blocking it again, LOL.

For the benefit of those who don't know that area, Durham at Cornish is only a few feet from the Durham and I-10 access road intersection, so people are always blocking it (too focused on the light at the access road I guess).

durham at cornish, houston, tx - Google Maps

Old 12-23-2009, 08:37 AM

5,133 posts, read 5,909,421 times
If the intersection has a sign like this...

http://www.arasigns.com/images/r10_7.jpg (broken link)

then you can (and should) be ticketed. I always try to honor those signs. I've noticed that when I do it, the other cars/lanes are far more likely to do it too.

Question: When there is NO sign, is it still illegal?

Old 12-23-2009, 09:11 AM

17,031 posts, read 28,868,612 times
You deserved the ticket. Thats how 'Gridlock' happens.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:23 AM

3,702 posts, read 17,298,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
If the intersection has a sign like this...

then you can (and should) be ticketed. I always try to honor those signs. I've noticed that when I do it, the other cars/lanes are far more likely to do it too.

Question: When there is NO sign, is it still illegal?
Yes. It is a state law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: