Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 06:19 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,184 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Binghamton, NY, during college, residents were required to put their regular trash in clear, town-emblem bags for collection. That way, they could see if you were throwing away something that could be recycled (there was no automated collection). I think they would refuse to take your trash if they saw recycled materials in the trash bags, though I'm not sure in practice the trash guys cared all that much. And this was back in the mid-90's!

So with that memory haunting me, having to buy these special city-emblem bags just for lawn debris really isn't a big deal. Considering half of my neighbors don't even bother with recycle bins at all, the city really needs to do most everything it can to help us keep our landfills in good shape for our kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 09:12 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
Hey, I remember those Binghamton bags! I was there in the 90's, too. I figured that by charging you so much for the trash bags, they were incentivizing recycling. The less you throw away, the less it cost you.

So far we have never had to bag yard waste. We either mulch it, compost it, or leave it in a big pile on the day they pick up yard waste unbagged. Plus, can't you just put it loose in your city trash can?

Old 12-30-2009, 10:04 AM

567 posts, read 1,621,650 times
I have alot of tropical plants in my backyard that grow like crazy, and have to trim them back quite a bit during spring / summer. I've been bagging all that so I don't have to wait a month for heavy garbage / tree waste pick up. I really do not want to have a pile of rotting vegitation sitting in my back yard, so I guess I'll have to suck it up and pay for those new bags. Or kill all my plants and just put grass back there (like 90% of homes in Houston).

I guess it's good for the environment, but surely these bags could cost less - paying $1 per bag is little high, but I have no chioce.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:32 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Hey, I remember those Binghamton bags! I was there in the 90's, too. I figured that by charging you so much for the trash bags, they were incentivizing recycling. The less you throw away, the less it cost you.
Small world! Found this on the Binghamton site:
From residents new to the area.... Why do we have to use official City Bags for our garbage?

When recycling started in 1991, the City eliminated the tipping fee tax included on everyone's property tax bill that was based solely on assessment. Instead, the City went to the bag (user fee) system, which charges residents for the amount of garbage they actually generate.

Is recycling really necessary and effective?

Most definitely. Since the inception of the recycling program in 1990, over 130,000 tons of material has been diverted from the County Landfill, from the City of Binghamton alone. This has saved the City over $5,000,000 in tipping fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
I have alot of tropical plants in my backyard that grow like crazy, and have to trim them back quite a bit during spring / summer. I've been bagging all that so I don't have to wait a month for heavy garbage / tree waste pick up. I really do not want to have a pile of rotting vegitation sitting in my back yard, so I guess I'll have to suck it up and pay for those new bags. Or kill all my plants and just put grass back there (like 90% of homes in Houston).

I guess it's good for the environment, but surely these bags could cost less - paying $1 per bag is little high, but I have no chioce.
I keep the tropical plant clippings behind the detached garage between heavy trash pickup. It's not ideal, but that space is pretty unusable anyways. I think most everyone has a hidden part of their yard that is good for hiding things .

Old 03-23-2010, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,155 times
I bought the compostable bags, filled them, place them at the curb. The garbage collectors ignore them.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:22 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
I read Chronicle this morning and then looked at the link on City of Houston website.

City of Houston eGovernment Center

I guess I can't use the trashbags I just bought at Costco to bag my yard trimmings, and have to go to Wal Mart to get new "green" bags. I hate Wal Mart!
Quit bagging all together. Every lawn and garden show in Texas will tell you that you need a mulching lawn mower and let the clippings mulch the grass.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 06-01-2010, 06:29 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Most northern towns stopped picking up grass clippings 15-20 years ago. We never bagged our grass in St.Louis In Dallas we purchased bags to put stuff that could be composted at the grocery or at city parks. They were cheaper at the parks. When one considers the amount of grass that goes into landfills, it has got to be ginormous. Governments can save bundles by not picking up stuff that we can compost. Our leaf blower will shred things so as not to take up much space. In one town we lived in, the whole block got together and purchased a small shredder. We just set it up one weekend a month and everybody trimmed their bushes and smallish tree limbs, took it home and composted it. If anybody had a big job to do, they just checked it out like a library book. The block also bought a roto rooter thing. Everybody used it once a year. Never a drain problem.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:38 PM

73 posts, read 350,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
does it mean grass clippings get dumped somewhere else?
The likely have for a long time, where I used to live in Florida its been that way since '95 where most all yard waste pickups go to a mulching center, and it's always been a separate pickup day. Like Tues/Thur - Yard/Reg Trash. It just sounds like a way the city is now trying to remove the bags from the equation on mulching and composting yard waste as well as increasing overall awareness. Good move imo.

And those with an issue with the added fee can choose to mulch or compost it themselves, further reducing the burden to provide the services.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:40 PM

73 posts, read 350,904 times
EDIT: Accidental dbl post.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:15 PM

567 posts, read 1,621,650 times
The bags are not that expensive - $0.50 each, and they smell like soy sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: